• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well I bought one

Re: Well I bought one

Congrats, can you fill out your profile on the way to the stock store?

Depending on Budget you can do really well with the SPS tactical.

HS. Prec,
B&C
AICS,
McM
Manners
and some others. I have a review going on the Tac 21 chassis but right now the HS precision seems to be the best bang for the buck..

Yeah the HS is what I had in mind I like it quite a bit. I'll let you guys know what I end up getting.

What kind of optic are you gonna put on it? Something tells me your money would be better spent there.

Haven't made it that far yet. I assumed I should get the stock first so I know how thick of a base I need right?

if i was living in that kc area u bet my first stop would be Manners! I put a A2 with mini chassis on my Ltr and love that thing. Have a couple of Mcm's to, but living in kc i would go see what manners has to offer.

Run don't walk!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilkinkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow I had no idea they were local. Thanks for the heads up haha. I probably will check them out now!

I do like the HS m24 Though
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-369/police-tactical-m24-sws/Detail </div></div>

HS-Precision all the way. I <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">LOVE</span></span></span> mine. :-D

Should I do stock or optics first? I hate to say it cause it is so plain but the factory stock fits me pretty good really. Maybe I should do optics then a stock down the road?

What are you looking at spending on optics right now???

What are you looking to do with the rifle???

What is the maximum, minimum, and average distance you will be shooting??

Are you looking at the $300 version of that HS, or the $600 version??

100-600 is all I have available around me right now. I was looking at the ~$600 version of the stock. Thinking optics first so I can go shoot 100 yards next Sunday. Will get into reloading late next month probably.

Probably $500 or so on optics right now. Will that be sufficient?

I have one myself in 308. It is in the B&C Varmint tactical stock topped with a NF 3.5-15x56.

The gun holds ~.65"-.85" @ 100 if I do my part. This gun had no "major" work either. I am sure with a little more tweaking I could get it to 1/2 MOA.

Best shooting out of the box rifle I have had.

Optics would be first on my list...

I'd get it scoped first so you can go out and shoot it. I shot my AAC-SD a few times off the bench with the factory stock and it shot just fine. I've since replaced to factory stock with an hs precision, but the factory stock was at least serviceable to get the rifle sighted in and load development started.

Edit for spelling

Optics. Spend as much as you can on a scope. You can still see targets out there with the factory stock... Speaking from experience, the more you spend on a scope, the happier will you will be. The stock can come later if you shoot well with the one it has.

-Travis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Travis Mihm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics. Spend as much as you can on a scope. You can still see targets out there with the factory stock... Speaking from experience, the more you spend on a scope, the happier will you will be. The stock can come later if you shoot well with the one it has.
-Travis </div></div>

This! Blow your entire wad on a Nightforce or other REALLY good optic and upgrade the stock later. I have a $200 Choate on the underside of my rifle and a 5.5-22x56 NXS on top and have no regrets, the optic is MUCH MORE of a limiting factor than the stock.

Yeah going to try and get a $500-800 scope setup on it this week. Birthday is next month so maybe the girlfriend will get me a stock :). Gonna add a detachable mag, bigger bolt knob, & bipod as well. May end up fluting action. I hear that usually smooths it out a little more. Going to see how the trigger suites me and possibly add a Jewell if needed.

So what would be the most scope package for the money for say $800 or less. Should I look preowned at that range? 100-600 yards is probably what I'll be shooting the most.

Weaver extended multi-slot rail (20 MOA cant) 30 bucks.
Burris XTR rings, Weaver Tactical or SWFA tactical rings - about 50 bucks

Weaver grandslam tactical 3-10x mil/mil (1" tube) 300 bucks.

You are in with a quality setup for less than 400. Sale ends soon on the scope.

Another option is the Bushnell Elite 10X (1" tube) about 220 bucks.

Optics first! Can't shoot it without the optic. :p You can get the stock later.
laugh.gif

Err i meant to say, can't shoot it with any accuracy without the optics.
wink.gif

My SPS Tactical is currently got a Bushnell Elite Tactical setting on top of it, and the factory Hogue stock. Mine does fine at 900+ yards.

I plan on getting a stock sometime, just dont know when. Im too worried about reloading right now.

Just get the optic, youll be fine.

To the OP-
Spend the $ on a scope! Yes, Manners is local and they would surely fix you up, but keep in mind they don't typically have stocks sitting on the shelf ready to buy. With this in mind, on a Manners, you are looking at 3-4 month turn around once your order is placed. I <span style="color: #CC0000">HIGHLY</span> recommend their products as I have 3 different models of theirs (T, T4A, T5A)
whistle.gif
The Manners Chassis System would save you a little bit of $ over a standard stock with a bed job, comes with a AI mag, and would accept your SPS tactical like a glove!

On to the scope. If your budget is $800, I'd suggest a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X50 with knobs, or a used Mark IV. The Viper PST could be another option if you could find one?? Either of these would serve you well as a beginner, for the ranges you are talking about, and I'd guess these would sell quickly when/if you are ready to upgrade down the road.

Good luck with your decisions!

+me Optics first. It might shoot really really well with the factory stock and you wont know until you try. Base thickness has nothing to do with stocks. For your price range try the vortex viper pst 4-16x50. Then the weaver base and rings about $780+ shipping for everything or a Zeiss conquest That will blow everything else in that price range out of the water as far as glass. Or check in the classifieds here for something used. Spend a lot of time in the optics section and check out the optics selection thread in there. If you get a chance go to a showroom and look through a bunch of scopes. Plenty of people can recommend a scope here but they don't know what works best for you.

Nikon Monarch Rifle Scope 4-16x 42mm Side Focus Mil-Dot Reticle Matte
$450 @ midway. Should get the Job done huh. After thinking it over want to keep it $600 or under for total setup of optics.

A friend of mine uses a Vortex, good optics and tracks well...great scope for the money. I would also throw Sightron III in the mix as well, another good value.

Hardix

If you aren't going with a stock and are looking to put it towards a scope at the moment. The $600 for the stock you were looking to get, the $500 originally set aside for glass, gives you $1100.

That could grab you a used NF, the 3.5-15 NXS would not be a bad option at all. These are proven performers, just great all around.

For $800, I would look at Sightron's SIII line of scopes, I currently run one in 8-32x56, probably a bit high on mag for what you want, but they offer 6-24x50 as well as 3.5-10x44.

The Vortex Viper PST is in that range as well, plenty of current reviews on this scope on here.

Between $800-$1100 you can look at Swarovski's Z3 line of scopes.

Go to Dick's Sporting Goods and buy one of the ADL Rem. 700-V's in .308 for $550, send in the rebate for $50 and then sell the combo scope, bases and rings for $50 and come out at $449.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to Dick's Sporting Goods and buy one of the ADL Rem. 700-V's in .308 for $550, send in the rebate for $50 and then sell the combo scope, bases and rings for $50 and come out at $449. </div></div>

Did you read the posts on this thread, or for that matter, even the first post???

You've managed to post something completely irrelevant here, congratulations on showing blind ignorance.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you aren't going with a stock and are looking to put it towards a scope at the moment. The $600 for the stock you were looking to get, the $500 originally set aside for glass, gives you $1100.

<span style="font-weight: bold">That could grab you a used NF, the 3.5-15 NXS</span> would not be a bad option at all. These are proven performers, just great all around.</div></div>

Pretty much sums it up.