• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well i guess i forgot

Northfl

Keepin the lights on
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Jax fl
Just how fucked up the usps is.
So i put a scope up for sale and a buyer sent me money for it. Next morning i put it in the original box bubble wrap it and box it up. Off to postoffice i go.
Send it priority mail with insurance with expected delivery a few days later. 2 days after expected delivery date its sitting in dallas.
Ok so it is at least moving. Wake up this morning that it was undeliverable or un returnable to sender and sent to lost mail center for processing.
Will refund the buyer his $ and start the long process of a claim as soon as they open and i can get in there for that. Morons i swear. Or maybe i am the moron for thinking a gov agency could actually get something right for a change

Just how fucked up the usps is.
So i put a scope up for sale and a buyer sent me money for it. Next morning i put it in the original box bubble wrap it and box it up. Off to postoffice i go.
Send it priority mail with insurance with expected delivery a few days later. 2 days after expected delivery date its sitting in dallas.
Ok so it is at least moving. Wake up this morning that it was undeliverable or un returnable to sender and sent to lost mail center for processing.
Will refund the buyer his $ and start the long process of a claim as soon as they open and i can get in there for that. Morons i swear. Or maybe i am the moron for thinking a gov agency could actually get something right for a change
Same happened to me with an ATACR. Refunded the buyer then eventually it turned up at the buyers PO. Buyer then sent back the refund.

I have actually an USPS international priority package 'missing' worth thousands of $ stuck somewhere on Earth. No tracking information excepted a departure scan weeks ago. The insurance alone was like 200 USD.

Tracking said that the item I ordered was delivered. I went to the post office and they said it was scanned before they put it in my mailbox. I said that it was not in the mailbox and they said it has to be. It was scanned before it was put in there. I looked at the guy and asked if he knew how big the mailbox is. I can definitely see that it's not in there.
Ten days later it showed up.

I never send anything usps that's really valuable. Ups is the only way and even that isn't foolproof these days. Now just imagine millions of ballots....... Sorry for the trouble OP. Hopefully you will get it sorted out in aweek or two.

Reactions: lash
Hopefully it will all shake out but for now i am out about 3k. Gonna refund buyer his money and still wont have a scope
Luckily it was insured but not putting much faith in that either.
Tried submitting a lost mail search form and it wont go through
My local po is a bunch of idiots that are usually not much help either way. Will probably go to the main hub and hopefully can get some information there

I hear all these horror stories but if you consider how many pieces of mail the USPS handles every day the % that go astray ir small. I recently ordered a scope from Tract on Saturday afternoon and it was in my PO Box Tuesday. Eastern Pa. to SW Oklahoma. Not bad.

The one advantage UPS of Fedex has is better tracking.

Would this be considered an itar object? Razor gen 2 4.5-27.
I know i am probably be screwed on this

Reactions: Yasherka
I am fairly sure my carrier stole my new Garmin Tactix with BA. She marked it delivered but never stopped at my house that day. I snagged her 2 days later and she says it was delivered. I informed her I have surveillance cameras and it was not delivered. Spoke to the post master....they claim it was delivered to the wrong location but cannot locate it

have used usps,ups,fed ex many,many times over the last 20yr. i can tell many horror stories about each. all one can do is take a pick,insure and hope.

Would this be considered an itar object? Razor gen 2 4.5-27.
I know i am probably be screwed on this
I don't know if it's ITAR controlled per se, but if you tried to export it oversea and it has been seized by the custom, you should expect issues with the refund. I had a similar situation years ago for exporting... a f***ing book (yea you read correctly, a book).

It was a domestic shipment so hopefully no issues with locating or paying ins claim but i surely am not counting on it

Tracking said that the item I ordered was delivered. I went to the post office and they said it was scanned before they put it in my mailbox. I said that it was not in the mailbox and they said it has to be. It was scanned before it was put in there. I looked at the guy and asked if he knew how big the mailbox is. I can definitely see that it's not in there.
Ten days later it showed up.
Go one better....bought a mandrel die from 21st Century. USPS said "delivered". Not in my box. Asked my post man (who is a great guy) and he said he has zero memory or knowledge of it but he'd look around.

21st Century sent me another, no problem. They are good guys, IMO.

7 months later it shows up in my mail box...a bit worse for wear but the contents were fine. 7 fucking months.

I offered to send one back to 21st if they would send me a shipping label and they said just keep it, not worth it to them.

yea has to be the "hubs" of all 3. have known several delivery guys for usps & ups. all have been very professional and helpful. same goes for my local PO (small town). likely get a bunch of shit if had to use gainesville or other big office. don't know much about fedex. don't use them but some shippers do. no real problems. but the stuff that happens going thru the big hubs,esp jacksonville,blows the mind with the incompetence.

I’ve had similar (but much less severe) problems lately. Short story is that the longtime delivery people are being worked to death and the PO can’t even find temps to give them any relief, and forget about quality relief.

Reactions: lash and mosin46
yea has to be the "hubs" of all 3. have known several delivery guys for usps & ups. all have been very professional and helpful. same goes for my local PO (small town). likely get a bunch of shit if had to use gainesville or other big office. don't know much about fedex. don't use them but some shippers do. no real problems. but the stuff that happens going thru the big hubs,esp jacksonville,blows the mind with the incompetence.
It went through jax hub just fine. Somehow made it to texas and god only knows where from there.

I’ve had horrible luck with USPS... enough that I no longer will order from a place that exclusively ships USPS.

That being said, FedEx Freight is still looking for my last shipment of engines. The shipping nightmare we are all experiencing doesn’t appear to be improving.

I hear all these horror stories but if you consider how many pieces of mail the USPS handles every day the % that go astray ir small. I recently ordered a scope from Tract on Saturday afternoon and it was in my PO Box Tuesday. Eastern Pa. to SW Oklahoma. Not bad.

True, but little comfort when you're the one out 3K.

Reactions: lash and Maggot
I have had pretty decent luck with USPS if the item will fit I always use the flat rate boxes I don't know if that helps, but maybe.

I had a Timney trigger show as delivered with Fedex one time when it wasn't. I called Timney and they offered to sell me another one at a discount so I bought another one from them. Then I noticed this box that had been sitting on the neighbors porch across the street for about a week. So I walked across the street to see if just maybe that was my trigger and sure as shit it was my trigger sitting there for over a week. Looks like someone opened the box and just threw back down. So either my neighbors took it off my porch and then realized they didn't know what it even was and said fuck it or it got delivered wrong and my neighbor opened the box and didn't bother giving it back to me either way my neighbors were a piece of shit!

I was having a package shipped from Japan to the US west coast. Did it come straight east to its destination? Nope. New Jersey…where it sat nearly a month before being sent to the west coast. Dang package went around the world.

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
I have had pretty decent luck with USPS if the item will fit I always use the flat rate boxes I don't know if that helps, but maybe.

I had a Timney trigger show as delivered with Fedex one time when it wasn't. I called Timney and they offered to sell me another one at a discount so I bought another one from them. Then I noticed this box that had been sitting on the neighbors porch across the street for about a week. So I walked across the street to see if just maybe that was my trigger and sure as shit it was my trigger sitting there for over a week. Looks like someone opened the box and just threw back down. So either my neighbors took it off my porch and then realized they didn't know what it even was and said fuck it or it got delivered wrong and my neighbor opened the box and didn't bother giving it back to me either way my neighbors were a piece of shit!
We constantly get Amazon stuff delivered to all of our neighbor’s homes instead of where they belong. Since they document delivery with a photo - we’ve gotten good at identifying which neighbor’s porch our stuff ended up at just from the photos. The photo thing is very helpful!

Reactions: Steel+Killer
I was having a package shipped from Japan to the US west coast. Did it come straight east to its destination? Nope. New Jersey…where it sat nearly a month before being sent to the west coast. Dang package went around the world.
My Diesel engines shipment went from Japan, to Oakland, to Chicago, to Houston, to Nashville, to Dallas, to Glendale, to Phoenix, back to Glendale, back to Phoenix, to lost....

At one point they claimed they were delivered, but maybe not?
They are still looking for it supposedly.
It’s not like they are small and trivial items.

He said “engines”. Plural.

You’d be surprised.
When I was still in manufacturing, we had multiple shipments of pallet sized and larger shipments of things ‘disappear’ in transit. One shipment of a pure raw material was ‘lost’ halfway in transit. It was packed in heavy plastic sealed bags, 4’x4’x5’ size, inside layers of reinforced woven nylon, inside a triple wall palletainer, on a heavy oak pallet.

We pushed FedEx Freight hard until it finally one day or showed up. A forklift had obviously pierced the whole thing about a foot above the pallet wi both forks and ripped huge holes in it spilling the contents in one of their warehouses. They had used about two rolls of duct tape and a roll of pallet wrap to ‘fix’ the container.

Swept up all the now contaminated raw material and delivered it about 300 pounds short with all the trash from the warehouse floor included in the material. Tried to say that was how they received it from our supplier. This, even though the BOL clearly stated the original weight. It took our corporate shipping people actually threatening them with cancelling a global shipping contract to get them to cough up the paid for insurance.

how do you misplace an engine?
Four of them at full pallet size each.
Kubota V3800 engines with radiators mounted already.
Total shipment is 5,800 lbs worth.
Nobody hid these in their lunch box to take them home.

So the buyer understood and very gladly accepted his $$ back.
Actually called usps a shit loaf, never heard that but will definitely be borrowing it for sure. Now for me to try and deal with them.
Thinking about canceling my mail delivery as well. 😂😂

It shouldn’t matter. You were not selling or shipping it outside of the U.S.
Btw. Was that your idea to use them .22 targets at the match yesterday. Damn bigfoot target is tiny at 350+ yds so were the cowboy and donkey targets

• Haha
Btw. Was that your idea to use them .22 targets at the match yesterday. Damn bigfoot target is tiny at 350+ yds so were the cowboy and donkey targets
🤣 those are fun targets, but I like using them between 150-200y. Kendal gets full credit for that match. I was laid up with the Wu Flu. I did buy the gate though.

And damn you for that rickety piece of shit. The tiny targets were no fun at all.

• Haha
USPS can’t be trusted with anything of value. UPS and Fed Ex also suck but not to the same level. You never know where your shit is with USPS. It can show shipment received in Cali one minute and delivered in Texas the next.

Reactions: UKDslayer
I have more fucked up stories to tell about USPS and UPS than I have time to type, domestic and international.

That said, overall, as a percentage, they really do a reasonably good job at say 98% of the packages I send or receive. Its that 2% that are bizarre. Then its a small percent of those that get really bizarre, like the stories the post office comes up with to explain the lost package, then a month later it shows up :D

I bought a radio from a guy in the Midwest, shipping to me in Idaho. Didn’t arrive when expected so I tracked it and it was setting in GUAM, it did make it to me, just delayed.

Except the percentage of small high value items that goes astray is statistically huge.

Ever hear of them losing the junk mail flyers from the grocery store or your car warranty?

Packages, especially the ones with spendy shit inside (seem to go away regularly.)

Working for package service or USPS is like back in the days when politicians nephews all worked in the tollbooths at bridges and highways. When automatic coin baskets and electronic counters were installed, traffic overnight increased 300 percent.

You have no skills. No trade. No hope of a career… go to work for an package delivery company and get rich quick!

I bet in some of those facilities the gangs are better organized than the unions!!

Sirhr

Except the percentage of small high value items that goes astray is statistically huge.

Ever hear of them losing the junk mail flyers from the grocery store or your car warranty?

Packages, especially the ones with spendy shit inside (seem to go away regularly.)

Working for package service or USPS is like back in the days when politicians nephews all worked in the tollbooths at bridges and highways. When automatic coin baskets and electronic counters were installed, traffic overnight increased 300 percent.

You have no skills. No trade. No hope of a career… go to work for an package delivery company and get rich quick!

I bet in some of those facilities the gangs are better organized than the unions!!

Sirhr
Thats not been my experience.

I'm going to attempt to turn in a claim for $62k worth of lost property this morning wit FedEx.... we'll see how long my engines remain lost then.

Reactions: Yasherka and lash
I'm going to attempt to turn in a claim for $62k worth of lost property this morning wit FedEx.... we'll see how long my engines remain lost then.
Ugh....

Have a friend who shipped a classic car engine... About a $400,000 piece for a pre-war racer with matching numbers. He only insured it for about 10 percent of the value. Someone in shipping dropped the crate and sheared one of the cast-in motor mounts off the crankcase. It was a S%$# show.

This is why I refuse to ship engines. I'll drive it to you. You come and get it. Bring the chassis and we'll put it in and test run it. But no way will I crate and ship one. Four days of driving and a couple of motel rooms? Cost-effective and totally safe. Not the cheapest option. Until someone drops or loses an irreplaceable engine!

Sirhr

Ugh....

Have a friend who shipped a classic car engine... About a $400,000 piece for a pre-war racer with matching numbers. He only insured it for about 10 percent of the value. Someone in shipping dropped the crate and sheared one of the cast-in motor mounts off the crankcase. It was a S%$# show.

This is why I refuse to ship engines. I'll drive it to you. You come and get it. Bring the chassis and we'll put it in and test run it. But no way will I crate and ship one. Four days of driving and a couple of motel rooms? Cost-effective and totally safe. Not the cheapest option. Until someone drops or loses an irreplaceable engine!

Sirhr
Lucky for me these are certainly replaceable.
I'm not driving to Japan to pick them up! LOL

Sirhr

Yes the shipper does know the higher value packages if you insure them, and it does "appear" like lots of those 'go missing' I posted my story once about a $100k in laptops missing from UPS and catching a driver in a sting.

You would never know if junk mail went missing, you were not expecting it or tracking it. Yes it goes missing too, you just never notice.

I would have to go back and check records to get an exact number, but I shipped roughly 20,000 low value (less than $100) packages since Jan 1 2023 to date and maybe have had 4 go missing. This was all via UPS and all via a corporate account (if you want to argue they handle corp accounts better, they might, I have no idea).

On another note, I use to oversee a computer lease return function for my company. I had dozens of computers that had to make it back to Dell on a schedule or I would be fined or charged. I hired an independent freight company with insurance to handle that (requirement was you had to have a loading dock and you packaged the items on pallets, which I did)

I never dreamed of using UPS or FedEx or USPS for anything that high dollar or that sort of volume. I signed that items went on the truck, the delivery point signed the same items came off the truck, everything was insured, everything had a schedule. You are shipping anything really important and in volume or really high dollar (like $400,000) be really careful who you hire and who you use for insurance :D

lowest bid isn't always the way to go and not insuring full value on insurance isn't smart either.

Sounds like we need to start an Air tag style device exchange when we sell stuff.

Update.
Ins claim denied said it was delivered. Yet wwas still showing at lost mail recovery center. Several trips to po to get some answers to no avail. Sorry ass fuckers work there for sure.
Come home from work next afternoon and the non deliverable non returnable package is sitting on my door step with the same handwritten label in the side of it. Scope inside and intact just as i sent it out. So at least i have the scope back.