• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well that sucks...

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    IMG_1883.jpg

I've been running my Nomad with FFS for 7 years now. It's been in snow, pouring rain, and hot desert heat as high as 118F, but in all those years I've never seen the display get damaged from sun exposure like this.

It was a bright NV day over the weekend and the Nomad was laying on a shooting mat at the FFP for a few hours in the sun. Never have I considered any need to treat this device with kid gloves - it's ruggedness is the number one reason I prefer it over a smart phone. But sure enough, after driving out to re-paint targets I returned to find these two areas burned out in the display.

Has anyone else ever seen that?

Oddly enough on the display on my Kestrel Elite while inside the Tyr tactical case they sell. It fell out of my range bag and lay face up in the case on my driveway for 5 hours yesterday in mid 90's and mostly overcast conditions.

I'm glad it was still there but irked that the display is hosed from just that.

It's not like I was holding a magnifying glass near it, focusing light into the burn-in areas, but it must have to do with physical heat on the display surface. Maybe the protective cover refracted the light in those areas, raising the temperature of the surface? Whatever it was, I've got emails out to a couple places that apparently still repair 900Ls and if I do get it repaired I think I'll make a simple codura display cover to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

Yep. Though the Nomad 900L has been discontinued, they still had one display left. It wasn’t cheap, but it was worth it to me.