• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Well the big time prices hit my little hole in the wall gunshop... sort of

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I was in yesterday and they had a small assortment of "value" .22 lr ammo for about 25 cents a round. Probably someone dug into their stash and hoped to capitalize on the current situation, and put it on consignment. The little powder that they had was about 30 bucks per pound- only a couple bottles on the shelf.

They haven't been able to get firearms, pistols or rifles for the most part, the used pistol case has largely been empty. I think there have been two small powder orders arrive in the last 4 months, most of the bullet brands and weights they usually have in stock are empty slots on the shelves.

I try to swing buy weekly and pick something up that I may be able to use, primarily just to help with their cash flow. Used rifle rack has been pretty bare since before Christmas.

Farm and garden locally store has been getting an occasional pallet of 223 or pistol ammo, and even with limiting 2 boxes per person it's gone in part of a day. Usually numerous rifles and pistols, but now the racks are pretty bare. Ammo prices here (rural area) are pretty normal for the few reloading supplies that they are able to get.

Sure hope that these places can stay in business.... and that we are able to maintain our hobby. Pretty sure that it is the same or worse in your area, unless you find that overlooked place.

Was at my lgs a few days ago. They said their filling lots of back orders before putting stuff on the shelf. But they did say allocations are increasing (more product they can purchase)

Reactions: JbBooks and DIBBS
    I wonder how many little gun stores went out of business during the Trump days. I know a couple that did very well during the kenyan years but were struggling because many people had surplus from the hording years. They did okay for the first year or so of Trump but then it was flat. Now the shelves are bare but that's because any inventory is immediately bought.
    Random thoughts?

My local LGS sold out to a California chain. Empty handgun display cases have been filled with assorted old revolvers with “Century Arms” on the tag. The salesman says they are used LE pieces that have been imported back to the U.S. by Century.
    When I asked him if they had been stamped with import marks, he showed me that they were hand written on the frame with an electric etching pen. Pretty amateurish and unsightly.
    Gun stores must be pretty desperate for inventory to put these turds on their shelves.

Last edited:
    Was at my lgs a few days ago. They said their filling lots of back orders before putting stuff on the shelf. But they did say allocations are increasing (more product they can purchase)
    We own a little gunshop, and your lgs is right about picking up more allocations, we’re starting to get some guns that a few months ago we could only dream about getting, 5.56 and pistol ammo is still coming in, it is steadily getting higher from the distributor level, not sure if that’s them or the manufacturer though, hunting ammo is getting pretty scarce.
    Reloading supplies at our size of store is just a far away fairytale.

Reactions: DIBBS
    We own a little gunshop, and your lgs is right about picking up more allocations, we’re starting to get some guns that a few months ago we could only dream about getting, 5.56 and pistol ammo is still coming in, it is steadily getting higher from the distributor level, not sure if that’s them or the manufacturer though, hunting ammo is getting pretty scarce.
    Reloading supplies at our size of store is just a far away fairytale.

I think even with the gun laws on the table with the current administration we’ll see the supplies come back around and prices start to level back off. Most of the price gouging I’ve seen around is private sellers capitalizing on the current shortage

I try to be realistic when looking at this and I see the new administration picking away at gun rights because they know everything they want won’t get passed or won’t get enforced from local government. So I think the supplies will come back, the prices will level off and when another nut job stirs things up the talks of bans will come and the panic buying will start all over. It’s not the first time we’ve seen this show

The gun shop I shoot fclass comp for has lots of ammo in stock with a semi dropping more off every week. On their end they have been limited to certain amounts of ammo. I know they have a bunch that was ordered pre panic that came in. They’ve been selling with no limits to the customers coming in on some 556 and 9mm they have.

Store told me here they saw a 15% bump a few months ago and were warned there would be another 10-15% in April.

Still cheap compared to the scalpers.