• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Well, think I’ve hit my peak for sidearms...

91Eunozs

The Man (Retired)
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2013
    south central Texas
    After almost a year of waiting, my Cabot is finished. The unboxing is an event unto itself...

i-PL99HtL.jpg

i-6qXW8Kz.jpg

i-4v5PRZv.jpg

i-bQQKCzW.jpg

Fit and finish are as expected...and then some! I cannot describe how smooth the action and slide movement feels. Like oiled glass.

i-vvJ6VHW.jpg

i-4dc3cHk.jpg

And the trigger...I’ve never felt anything like it. I honestly can’t feel the break. Just an almost imperceptible bit of take up, a bit more pressure, and ‘click’ the hammer drops!

Believe mine is the first customer gun with their new beveled mag well:

i-vXLDL8Z.jpg

And the overall feel is unreal too. I’m not speaking hyperbolically when I say this pistol feels like an extension of my hand...it points so naturally it’s almost surreal.

i-rHsmDqp.jpg

Not gonna lie, this one will be a safe queen, but will post more after I put a few rounds down range.

Will do... I like the Colts I grew up with, really enjoy the Sig 1911 I basically turned into a Wilson Combat as I learned to gun smith, and love my STI...shoots even better than my Nighthawk.

but this gun...wow. A whole ‘nother world of firearms.

I get it, just jacking you.
    I have so much in my safes that if it wasn't for an inventory I'd have no idea what I own.
    I love my 1911's as well
    BTW it is beautiful,especially the wood

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Quick update this morning... The custom holster/mag pouches I ordered several months ago from Andrews Custom Leather aren’t finished yet...perfection takes time! They’ll be ready soon though. In the interim, the Savoy “Hive” I had for another 5” 1911 fits like a champ:

i-F572fG6.jpg

...and confirmed all my other 1911 mag types fit; primarily Wilson Combat, but also several from Nighthawk, Ed Brown, and a few Chip McCormick (including a couple 10-rd Power Mags):

i-8KNkXbH.jpg

Will test out the petrified coral grips from Nate Challis I had made for this pistol last year too...those will only be used for display though. Also have a set of Mammoth tooth grips from him that are reinforced for shooting, but not sure how they’ll fit with the flared mag well.

Will likely get a second set of wood grips in some kind of gray ash or ebony wood as well...more to follow.

Last edited:
    Jesus H Christ that's some impressive craftsmanship right there. I'm not even going to imagine the $$$. Are the grips Cocobolo?

Reactions: TACC and 6/250/40
    In other #1stworldproblem news, I have to decide which grip screw to use with the petrified coral grips that will be on this pistol when displayed. Very happy to see they use Nate Challis design’s grip bushing system...by far the best out there IMHO.

Coincidentally, matches my Challis grips! :p

Plain, smooth stainless (stock):

i-G4gDcDP.jpg

i-cKnfq5f.jpg

...or with a whorl design (kind of evokes a wave theme that goes with the coral grips and spinal stingray holster/mag pouches):

i-WfnZR2R.jpg

i-MwRTQhc.jpg

I personally prefer the smooth finish, but believe the whorl design goes better with the “busy” details of this pistol’s finishes...

i-6kSHrVX.jpg

i-7hNbHfZ.jpg

i-ZckZQL2.jpg

...and in a bit of inadvertant excellence, the gray/black/white theme kind of matches the temporary Savoy ‘Hive’ holster:

i-bB3GFBX.jpg

Man those coral grips definitely key off the damascus really well and match the whorls on the back of the slide perfectly! That is a stunning side arm for sure! Congratulations!

and then a new model come along and steals you heart you dirty dirty whore . It is a very pretty gun may you be happy with it for many years to come .

and then a new model come along and steals you heart you dirty dirty whore . It is a very pretty gun may you be happy with it for many years to come .
    I'm personally hoping he hates it after the first range trip so I can buy it a deep SH PX discount and save on the wait time!

Amazing pistol!

Is the slide Damascus? What a beautiful pistol.

yes... Cabot Damascus Ladder Deluxe (with quite a few mods): https://cabotguns.com/damascus-steel-1911/

This pistol is actually on the lower end of their Damascus steel offerings...even with my modifications (ambi safety, flared mag well, etc.). They are true artisans there at Cabot, and I can’t speak highly enough of their work. Fit and finish are unlike anything I’ve ever seen before and the way it feels is something that has to be experienced.

For comparison, I own several Colts, an STI, and a Nighthawk...this pistol is in an entirely different league.

Believe it or not, the pistol I own that feels the closest is actually a Sig 1911 I built for my son. Cheap(ish) $1K pistol that I proceeded to essentially turn into a Wilson Combat (replaced almost all internals with Wilson Combat parts) after hand fitting the slide and frame...I found one that was super tight from the factory and hand lapped in the frame/slide over several hours before starting to work on the internals.

and re: the price...yeah, this thing isn’t cheap.

I couldn’t dream of owning something like this until a couple years ago. Grew up poor (at least by American standards), enlisted after high school and somehow got an appointment to a service academy. Spent 32 years in the military counting my time at the academy, then finally retired and through good timing and preparation fell into a good job in the “real world” where I’ve had some luck (timing again) and success as well.

Still, this pistol is a stretch even for me... I like to tell myself it’s an investment (and it is), but the reality it’s just an incredibly functional piece of art. And art...well, the value of art is purely subjective.

This particular piece of art in my collection is worth every penny to me!

yes... Cabot Damascus Ladder Deluxe (with quite a few mods): https://cabotguns.com/damascus-steel-1911/

This pistol is actually on the lower end of their Damascus steel offerings...even with my modifications (ambi safety, flared mag well, etc.). They are true artisans there at Cabot, and I can’t speak highly enough of their work. Fit and finish are unlike anything I’ve ever seen before and the way it feels is something that has to be experienced.

For comparison, I own several Colts, an STI, and a Nighthawk...this pistol is in an entirely different league.

Believe it or not, the pistol I own that feels the closest is actually a Sig 1911 I built for my son. Cheap(ish) $1K pistol that I proceeded to essentially turn into a Wilson Combat (replaced almost all internals with Wilson Combat parts) after hand fitting the slide and frame...I found one that was super tight from the factory and hand lapped in the frame/slide over several hours before starting to work on the internals.

and re: the price...yeah, this thing isn’t cheap.

I couldn’t dream of owning something like this until a couple years ago. Grew up poor (at least by American standards), enlisted after high school and somehow got an appointment to a service academy. Spent 32 years in the military counting my time at the academy, then finally retired and through good timing and preparation fell into a good job in the “real world” where I’ve had some luck (timing again) and success as well.

Still, this pistol is a stretch even for me... I like to tell myself it’s an investment (and it is), but the reality it’s just an incredibly functional piece of art. And art...well, the value of art is purely subjective.

This particular piece of art in my collection is worth every penny to me!
    That’s awesome it’s a beautiful pistol that I can’t stop looking at. Have you compared it to a Yost or any of the heirloom offerings?

No experience with that brand... My Nighthawk and STI, as well as a buddy’s Wilson Combat are the closest I’ve come to a high end 1911 before this one.

If I wasn’t so stoked for you I’d almost be jealous.
    Cabot is definitely at the top of a very short list 1911s is can only hope to own some day.
    Congrats and enjoy the fruits of your labour. It sounds like you’ve earned it.

I remember when Cabot 1911's were first introduced to the public about 10 years ago or so. Search for Penn United Technologies in Cabot, PA. That is who the parent company is for Cabot 1911's.

Penn United Defense

I handled a number of of the pistols at SHOT that year. Amazing pieces of gear. The trigger is something I have never felt. Crisp, clean. Bravo on your purchase.

Last edited:
    Yes, I'd say you've hit your peak with that one. Congrats!

Am sensing an unhealthy trend here. Safe Queens? Museum pieces?

Take it out and spank it.......run a few hundred rounds of hardball through it, then report back.

I’ll shoot mine if you shoot yours...

Attachments

• E499711B-0234-4A41-A035-FB4C1CB70617.jpeg
      E499711B-0234-4A41-A035-FB4C1CB70617.jpeg
      428.6 KB · Views: 75
    I like the look of Damascus Cabots. Some of their work is way over the top for me.

The ICON model is pretty neat ... except WHY ON EARTH would I want the "Cabot Icon Racking Button" moving briskly back and forth right next to my thumb?

CabotGuns_1622-1024x768-1.jpg

Reactions: Zorrosdens
    OP, it is Friday. You know what to do with that thing. ?

I actually did take it to the range a couple weekends ago...been so busy at work, I kind of forgot to post an update!

Put a couple rounds down range at 7.5 yds to make sure it function checked OK, then a quick group (head shots) to see if it shoots better than me (well, duh!),... then mag after mag of 8-10 round mag dumps through a variety of mags at 10, 15 and 25 yards to see if it’ll run hard.

after the first 50 rounds or so:

i-Wvb8DZh.jpg

and after 200 Rounds:

i-SQ8MXnj.jpg

Not a single failure or stoppage... ran like a top. And yes, I need to get more of my finger pad on the trigger to stop pushing my rounds to the left on speed drills!

Pretty straightforward strip, clean, and reassembly:

i-43HM5RN.jpg

i-fmpH9Kf.jpg

Highly polished internals made cleaning a breeze, but I forgot what a pain in the ass full-length guide rods can be! LOL

i-BQFs2Dj.jpg

Regardless, all back together and safely sleeping in the safe until next time!

i-P8f7Nbv.jpg

Reactions: Tokay444
    That’s a sweet 1911. A true work is art and it’s so nice to see these being shot. And I thought my Nighthawk custom and Guncrafter were nice. The slide is just so beautiful. Love the folded steel pattern.

That is bad ass.... I would be afraid to shoot it.

From their website
    Full Damascus Pistols Starting at $70,000

WOW.
    That is a beautiful pistol, definitely a piece of art, and worth displaying.
    Of course if I were to display it I would have it in a bullet proof glass case.

Quick update... After waiting nearly as long as I did for the pistol, my holster and magazine holder finally came up in the rotation at Andrews’s Custom Leather:

i-w27jxt4.jpg

This gun’s almost too pretty to cover up, but Sam’s work certainly compliments the build!

i-3srHcjw.jpg

i-hL4H35m.jpg

A nice note was included...Sam’s normal clientele is a rung or three above where I hang out!

i-TH6CzCV.jpg

Reactions: spartan67
    From their website
    Full Damascus Pistols Starting at $70,000

WOW.
    That is a beautiful pistol, definitely a piece of art, and worth displaying.
    Of course if I were to display it I would have it in a bullet proof glass case.

That’s an impressive pistol! Equally impressive price. Wow on both points