• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well this is different. Scope ring position isn't ideal

yocan

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2011
Detroit
So I just got done mounting a leupold VX-5hd 3-15x56 it has a 3.8 eye relief on a 20 moa rail on a rem 700 action.

Couple things you should know I'm tall (6'5" but most of that heights in my upper body so long neck) USO rings. And in general I'm new to setting up optics.

I couldn't find numbers for USO rings so used what I saw online for others 50 in lbs for the base and 18 in/lbs for the rings.

To get no scope shadow in a straight line with the bore body position I ended up with a ring 10% off the rail on the front (as in on the last notch) and the rear ring is over the bridge.. I can bring them back and see through it but it quickly attains a moderate scope shadow doing that. So umm yeah.. advice? Get a new scope get a new 20 moa rail or shoot it it won't hurt anything?

Side note any reason not to use this throw lever with this scope? https://www.leupold.com/throw-lever-vx5hd-and-vx6hd Any that goes all the way around I think would force me into higher rings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210924-231753_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210924-231753_Gallery.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot_20210924-231757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210924-231757_Gallery.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 163
adjustit so it fits better for you even if you just need higher rings maybe .

Can you add spacers to the buttstock to lengthen the pull on the rifle? That might move your head farther back on the stock enabling you to move the scope back a bit.

Can you add spacers to the buttstock to lengthen the pull on the rifle? That might move your head farther back on the stock enabling you to move the scope back a bit.

Why not add a spacer or 3 in the butt pad to increase length of pull.
fair point and what ideally I should do. sure do like shorter LOP when I can set it up. Do I need to or is it safe to shoot as is? Because really IF its ok it feels great

OP, do you have height proportianate arms? That is, a 6’5” wingspan?

Looks like you can move the front ring back one slot on the pic rail. I run most of my scopes that far forward. You should be fine.

Exactly. I have to run my front ring directly in front of the turret on my gen2 razor to get everything right.

6'9 actually

Then I'd only need the slightest spacer or heck a vest
I also like shorter length of pull for positional shooting. It helps for kneeling & standing.
That said I'm 5'-10" it's relative. 13 1/4" is short for me. At 6'-5" with a 6'-9" wingspan 14 1/2" is short for you & yet would require adding but spacers.

It will hurt accuracy if your natural point of aim is jacked up via too short a lop.

Watch this and see if it sheds any light.

I would run it no problem.

Actually, I'd add a spacer and get the 15" length of pull you should have to bring your face away from the bolt. If you can't cycle the bolt without smashing into your face, your stock needs length.

I'm 6'1" wingspan, and run 14" comfortably.