• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well.. took the plunge. 40X on the way to Jelrod

RicosRevenge

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
D/FW
After much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth worrying about my baby... she should be arriving at Jelrod's shop today to go from pew..... pew.... to pew, pew, pew.

Take care of my lil' sweetheart Jelrod!!

Attachments

• photo50958.jpg
    photo50958.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 30
Haha, from pew... pew... to pew,pew,pew

keep us posted after you get it back

I've been looking to see what is our there because I would like to do one in a krg chassis. That's a good looking rifle you picked up.

Mine is there right now hand delivered it a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are in good hands! Jelrod did my conversion as well. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Jonathon is a great guy to deal with. Double your ammo purchase!

My 40X

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i663.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu356\/b529\/photo45_zpsfubvlt4f.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Awesome to here more glowing reports on Jonathan. I've been fighting with the decision to cut mine up for a few years now.

Jonathan was very responsive to my emails and questions so I have been impressed so far.

I got mine back from Jonathan a month or two ago and couldn't be happier with it or the work he did on it. It has easily become my favorite rifle to shoot by far.

I was scared enough to send mine in to have the repeater conversion done on a extremely good shooting 40X. I am leaving the stock monster barrel on mine for now at least.

Jonathan has done four for me. I could not be happier.

Like Kevin said, plan on doubling (or more) your 22 ammo budget.

CMH, I had a 26" Krieger put on mine. I originally planned to go 20", but I didn't want to wait for a barrel so just ordered a 26" that was in stock somewhere. It worked out since my main rifle is an AI AT with a 26" 6.5x47 barrel, so it made the 40x feel and balance very similar to it, which was something I wanted anyway.

I've been looking to see what is our there because I would like to do one in a krg chassis. That's a good looking rifle you picked up.
I have three. One in a KRG W3C fixed, a dual strike Cadex and a McMillan A5 The KRG works great

I have some questions for those using the earlier 722-style 40X receivers. Do these fit just as well in 700 SA applications as the later models? Any problems fitting a Jewell HVR, besides milling some clearance in the tang for a safety? Specifically I would like to install a converted action in an AI AX chassis, but not sure of fit, especially the straight bolt handle. It may seem minor but I don't want some hack job for the bolt handle after spending all the other money on it. Thanx

Didnt realize I was a lurker for over 8 yrs...lol

I'm jealous. One of the clubs I shoot at was talking about starting a .22 tactical match. I said it sounds like fun but commented that the cost of a rifle and scope to be competitive would be in the price range of a centerfire rifle. I wasn't wrong. Congrats.

I have some questions for those using the earlier 722-style 40X receivers. Do these fit just as well in 700 SA applications as the later models? Any problems fitting a Jewell HVR, besides milling some clearance in the tang for a safety? Specifically I would like to install a converted action in an AI AX chassis, but not sure of fit, especially the straight bolt handle. It may seem minor but I don't want some hack job for the bolt handle after spending all the other money on it. Thanx

http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...ion-and-the-shop-of-your-choice?s=541&page=11

dlrflyer, mine is a 722 based action and I put it in an AX chassis. Like you said, a relief cut is necessary for the safety, but other than that it fits fine. No problems with the straight bolt on mine, though I did have a new PTG handle and knob installed just because the straight one was a pain to use with the scope and rings combo I used. The knob was too close to the scope and made it so I could only put my fingertips on the end of it to close the bolt, which got old pretty quick. But there weren't any problems as far as the chassis goes.

You people suck...I've been perfectly fine with Anschutz, Sakos, Coopers etc...and have been able to avoid the 40X's and 52's, but after seeing some of these conversions, I could see needing one Just Because!

The darkside calls... don't be surprised when your Anschutz, Sakos and Coopers start collecting a layer of dust.

I bought mine several years ago as a "trainer" for my match rifle, a Rem 5R in an AICS. That rifle is gone, its successor is gone and I now shoot a Desert Tech. The "trainer" has become the master.

Attachments

• 229205_206784826021793_7205128_n.jpg
    229205_206784826021793_7205128_n.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 22

The short answer is, Yes, they do.

Two of my three personal 40X Repeaters are built on the 722 based receiver. Not at all difficult to make it compatible with anything meant for a 700.

MB

A bit off topic here but...where can i get a 40X rimfire these days? I have a KRG W3 just sitting in a corner ready for this!!!

God am I glad I kept myself honest and bought an all original USMC-marked rifle. I knew that if I bought any other 40x that I wouldn't be able to avoid the temptation of converting to a repeater, dropping it in a new stock or chassis, and lord knows what else.
I paid the money up front to prevent myself from spending about as much as my GAP later.

Beautiful rifles gents, positively beautiful. I'm still jealous as hell.

A bit off topic here but...where can i get a 40X rimfire these days? I have a KRG W3 just sitting in a corner ready for this!!!

One of my customers is in a position to sell a 40X Repeater I did for him (200 rounds through it). It's in an AIAX, but he might be willing to split it up. You can PM me for details if you like.

Five rounds, 100 yards (Bartlein Barrel)

1zz5e00.jpg

MB

Last edited:
I ordered three 40Xs from the CMP back in '04; finally received the std wt 722-style rifle in '07 after getting the two hvy bbl 40XBs in '04 & '05. Sure glad I hung in there & waited on the std wt model - that's the one I sent Jelrod for the repeater conversion. Only real regret is not buying a couple more of the stripped bare 40X actions the CMP was selling after they ran out of the complete rifles. Too bad Remington isn't selling bare 40X RF actions today - but if they were, Jelrod & Mike would probably be swamped with orders for conversions.

I had no issues with finding a scope base that fit my 722-style receiver, although I had problems getting a Timney Calvin Elite trigger to work with it. Had the same problem with the same CE trigger in my Stiller 2500XR before trying it in the 40X - might have been an individual trigger issue - finally gave up and installed Jewell HVRs in both the Stiller & 40X, and couldn't be happier with those triggers. I did a Krieger on the Stiller, and a Benchmark on the 40X, both in sendero contour. Only regret is not ordering the Benchmark to finish at 22" instead of 26". The 2500XR a/24" bbl & Manners Elite T4A weighs almost a pound less than the 40X. Whatever - they're my two favorite rifles right now, and with Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes, are excellent ways to get in serious trigger time without worrying about burning out a CF bbl.

One of my customers is in a position to sell a 40X Repeater I did for him (200 rounds through it). It's in an AIAX, but he might be willing to split it up. You can PM me for details if you like.

Five rounds, 100 yards (Bartlein Barrel)

1zz5e00.jpg

MB

PM sent

CMH,
Not quite, they're sitting at the rigger warehouse. I need a few days of 55* or warmer weather to get the floor finished....:mad:

MB

GL, RR. I think you will be happy. The 40x is a different beast once its a repeater.

Make sure you post pics and review!

DT

Definitely will DT. The anxious,paranoid freak in me has been resisting the urge to bug Jelrod about when he is starting his run. I hate waiting.. LOL!

At least the Desert Tech has been getting some love recently.

Definitely will DT. The anxious,paranoid freak in me has been resisting the urge to bug Jelrod about when he is starting his run. I hate waiting.. LOL!

At least the Desert Tech has been getting some love recently.

Magwells are being cut at the moment. I ended up with quite a few this batch and is taking a bit to run through them all. Ones that were just getting the conversion will start heading back home soon.

I got to see Flatland1 Jelrod modified 40X last Sunday. Very nice rifle. It weighs very close to what my Bighorn in a AI chassis weighs which would make it ideal as a trainer. I like my CZ in a manners but it is no where close to the weight and feel of my centerfire rifle. With the magazine setup like a AI mag and the weight this rifle is as close to a true trainer in .22 as you can get. Guess I should have been born rich instead of been given good looks. HA.

I've been enjoying my older 722-style 40X repeater conversion from Jelrod so much that I've been thinking about sending him my sole remaining 40XB for the conversion. But to do another 40X repeater, I'd need to sell the Stiller 2500XR/Krieger/Manners rifle I built. $$$ doesn't grow on trees, and sometimes you wind up making tough choices, but I've also enjoyed shooting that Stiller, and the Manners Elite T4A with its molded-in GAP camo finish is a sweet build...

Got a teaser pic from Jonathan... much appreciated brother! Will have her back soon.

Attachments

• photo54488.jpg
    photo54488.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 23
Well went and picked my rifle up from Jelrod today can't wait to shoot it!
2683d4a1e1220d4233b87b2df54850ce.jpg

Just came in from the shop for a break - have been working at getting a Lilja tite bore blank ready to fit & chamber in my 40XB. Set the action up in a TruBore alignment system 6-jaw and trued the receiver face yesterday, then decided to pick-up & chase the receiver threads just because I could. The threading insert didn't cut a single chip until the last pass, and then it took a very even cut all the way in. Those are by far the truest receiver threads I've ever chased on a Rem 700/40X action - would not have needed done at all, but you don't really know until you get the action dialed-in & start single-pointing them.

So since I've done all I can to the action to get it ready for Jelrod's CNC machine, I'll go ahead with barreling it. That way Jelrod can tune the extractors with the bbl that's going to be on the finished rifle, and there'll be that much less work to do to complete the rifle when I get the converted action back from him. Not in any hurry, as I think he's just now getting on the actions that required new barrels, so it'll be another 3 weeks or so before he's ready to do another run. Really looking forward to working with this Lilja bbl & comparing the accuracy to that of the Krieger on my Stiller, and Benchmark on the 1st 40X.

That's awesome Flat and thanks for the pics Trx!! I've been pretty dang busy to get on here; but my rifle is back from Jelrod as well and it looks fantastic. I have her all back together but no pics yet (not that it looks a helluva lot different).

I must say that the magazine was NOT what I was expecting. those things are really nice!!!.

Mines running smooth as silk no issues. It's getting deep in my pockets for 22 ammo purchases haha.

Mines running smooth as silk no issues. It's getting deep in my pockets for 22 ammo purchases haha.

Yup. My 22 ammo budget nearly tripled in the past two years.

I already shot a lot of 22. Now I shoot a little more, but more of the good stuff.

They are impressive Mike. I know it took you a long time to get them right.

My match this weekend was cancelled so I will get this thing out tomorrow and run some rounds through.

They are impressive Mike. I know it took you a long time to get them right.

My match this weekend was cancelled so I will get this thing out tomorrow and run some rounds through.

Thanks RR, it did take a while, but things are running flawlessly. Couldn't ask for a better guy than Jelrod to help keep this project moving; as simple as sharing models, prints and a couple phone calls and he's been off and running ever since....he obviously does spectacular work.

Enjoy your rifle....

MB

Thanks Mike. And you are MORE than right about Jelrod. I will be pushing anyone I can think of his way. His communication, straight-forward and easy way of doing business is refreshing and I am a fan for life.