• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well well well, lookie here (MDT GEN 2 Ckye Pod is here!)

Krob95

Black Multicam Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    Well my Gen 2 Ckye Pod showed up today! MDT got it to me in 2 days from the day I got the shipping notification to the day it showed up. A+ there! Turn around time from when I sent mine in to when it was received was somewhere around 5-6 months. I stopped counting, but they were very communicative about the delays so I had no qualms about the wait, especially when they informed me that they were going to release an updated gen 2 version of the Ckye pod and offered to upgrade me to it for free.

After it getting pushed back and pushed back I realized that they were looking for perfection so it wasn’t a big deal. I’d rather wait for something nice and finished rather than a half assed product pushed to meet deadlines. Needless to say, when I pulled it (along with the Christmas card and other little goodies) out of the box when I got home from work, just wow oh wow, it’s very nice! (insert Borat voice here).The new gen 2 is slightly longer than the old model which isn’t a bad thing imo.
    9F55C8D7-7A52-43EA-A7FA-2FC615BFD730.jpeg

The new gen 2 is slightly longer than the old model which isn’t a bad thing imo.
    060D9081-529D-488A-BFA3-861244F8E58B.jpeg
    B95014E6-8DBB-4F0D-A983-CDA75955E494.jpeg

I noticed right off the bat, the large knurled knob with a machined cross in it along with the four large holes bored through it. Can’t access it when the legs are folded up but very easy to access when the legs are folded out. This would be a tension knob for the cant adjustment. The holes are large enough to stick whatever odds and ends into it (not the t handle from my fixit sticks, but the long bit fit fine) and give enough leverage to lock up the cant. Locks up nice and tight and the ease of adjustment was good as well. The knob is machined very well and I’m pleased with it.
    6C4CEFD3-5AFA-4175-96A4-2E5ACABAEE51.jpeg
    26AFFD98-F51D-4B5E-9726-05D0EFFEF1E3.jpeg

I also noticed that the finish appears to be different on the new version vs the old one. The old one is a lot less shiny whereas the new one is nice and shiny and a little slicker. It’s a nice look and I like it. It doesn’t show marks as easy as the old finish on the gen 1 if that matters to you.

Next up is the tool less panning lock out. Took me a second to figure it out but once I figured it out it was easy enough. The little lever in the up position locks out the panning feature and is very solid with minimal play. It takes a little bit of force to manipulate it but I think that’s going to be ok because you won’t have to worry about it coming unlocked by accident
    . You can only lock the panning feature with the bipod parallel with the rail/barrel.
    ADE19730-2AD5-4AC6-8AA8-B5316264D184.jpeg
    EDB36C36-440F-4797-85F5-C9DF71530A6C.jpeg

There is an Allen key that comes with the bipod to set the tension on the panning similar to the Gen 1. Or so it appears.

There will be more I’m sure as I’m not able to go to the range right now due to work but messing with it around the house, I like it and I feel it was worth the wait forsure. I am looking forward to getting it out to some matches and range time

0F5CD933-0403-41A4-9252-8D0D53750D87.jpeg

Thank you @MDT_OFFICIAL and @MDT_Josh for the Christmas card and the chamber flag and mag loader, and of course the new Ckye pod!! Means a lot guys! Please let me know if there’s anything I didn’t notice and that I should be aware of lol

Do the legs slide out as easily, length wise like the gen 1 does?

i would say they’re very similar in resistance when extending the leg height.

Reactions: SourGrapes
    I finally picked up a Gen 1 this Black Friday. I guess I will try to get the Gen 2 next Black Friday!

Reactions: MDT_Josh
    Thanks for the great photos and detailed descriptions. It really helped me to access the product.

Reactions: Krob95
    I’ll see if I can get a weight this evening on my fx120. They feel similar in weight but I’ll be able to get an accurate reading tonight tho!

@Krob95 you're welcome and thank you for making this post! We really do try to do the best we can, when we can :)

Do the legs slide out as easily, length wise like the gen 1 does?

There should be more resistance on the Gen2 over the Gen1; slightly different springs, latch geometry, surface finish/hardness and other minor tweaks. If you jam the leg in the mud or get the foot caught on something while moving the gun, it will still extend on you though (just kjeep that in mind).

What’s the weight difference between the two?

Solidworks says: 0.12 lb/1.92 oz/54.43 g :) Most of that weight will be the new tension knob and locking pan hardware.

Josh

That giant knob just looks like it’ll come loose compared to the older cant screw.
    How much slop does the new one have in it compared to the older?

That giant knob just looks like it’ll come loose compared to the older cant screw.
    How much slop does the new one have in it compared to the older?
    It’s pretty solid man. I have it locked down and it wouldn’t budge when it was torqued against with the rifle on it.

And compared to my gen 1, 50% less atleast. My gen one wasn’t horrible but it was noticeable. This gen 2 is much better in that department I feel.

Reactions: MDT_Josh and rydah
    @Krob95 you're welcome and thank you for making this post! We really do try to do the best we can, when we can :)

There should be more resistance on the Gen2 over the Gen1; slightly different springs, latch geometry, surface finish/hardness and other minor tweaks. If you jam the leg in the mud or get the foot caught on something while moving the gun, it will still extend on you though (just kjeep that in mind).

Solidworks says: 0.12 lb/1.92 oz/54.43 g :) Most of that weight will be the new tension knob and locking pan hardware.

Josh

Im very happy to hear that red part. after mine failing on a stage at a match I was pretty let down. I just got a shipping notification for mine so hopefully see in a little while.

How about the Gen 1 Refurbs... where do they fall in the mix... I heard that they were going to be like a Gen 1.5 with some of the G2 improvements.

You are correct. The blem Gen1's will not be the same as the initial run of Gen1's we did earlier this year, they will have improvements.

Josh
    It's this type of service that makes you guys the company you are. I'm one of the guys who ordered a triple pull on bf and am happy to wait when it comes to you guys making sure it's right before it goes out the door. It's rare these days that companies actually care about putting out a better product vs just selling anything that they have for the almighty dollar. The fact that you guys are not just w going through them making sure they are right but actually improving them in whatever way you are just speaks to this.

Last edited:
    @MDT_Josh

So I got my ckye pod, and I went to try to unlock the pan but it wouldn't budge. I had to loosen the pan tension screw to get it to unlock but now the pan is really loose. If I tighten up the pan so that it's not so loose, then I can't get it to lock. So I have to leave the pan really loose to be able to lock/unlock it.

When it is locked, there's a good amount of play still. If I tighten it down a bit, the play totally goes away, but then I can't unlock it.

And when I say tighten down, I'm not talking like 20in/lbs, this is me very lightlen hand tightening it, less than 3 in/lbs.

Is this all just by design?

EDIT:

Spoke to a friend and he told me to take it apart arca clamp etc. I lined everything back up and tightened things slowly and now it seems the play is gone and I can use the lock/unlock and the wiggle is gone.

Last edited:
    @MDT_Josh

So I got my ckye pod, and I went to try to unlock the pan but it wouldn't budge. I had to loosen the pan tension screw to get it to unlock but now the pan is really loose. If I tighten up the pan so that it's not so loose, then I can't get it to lock. So I have to leave the pan really loose to be able to lock/unlock it.

When it is locked, there's a good amount of play still. If I tighten it down a bit, the play totally goes away, but then I can't unlock it.

And when I say tighten down, I'm not talking like 20in/lbs, this is me very lightlen hand tightening it, less than 3 in/lbs.

EDIT:

Spoke to a friend and he told me to take it apart arca clamp etc. I lined everything back up and tightened things slowly and now it seems the play is gone and I can use the lock/unlock and the wiggle is gone.
    I am happy to hear that you got it figured it out, but you shouldn't have had to disassemble the whole clamp and part of the head to do so? Sounds like a lot of the pan locking features are shipping quite tight, which is what you were running into. There shouldn't be very much play at all when the pan lock is engaged and you'll just get a little rotation out of leg flex more than actual pan.

If you run into any more issues, be sure to let me know though :D

Josh

I am happy to hear that you got it figured it out, but you shouldn't have had to disassemble the whole clamp and part of the head to do so? Sounds like a lot of the pan locking features are shipping quite tight, which is what you were running into. There shouldn't be very much play at all when the pan lock is engaged and you'll just get a little rotation out of leg flex more than actual pan.

If you run into any more issues, be sure to let me know though :D

Josh

Thanks! I switched from a PRS Short Gen 1 to the Gen2 Standard. Still getting used to the new height. There's definitely a lot less play in the legs.

I like that the stance pins are now not as loose and won't accidentally move. I've had it where I've been shooting and suddenly one of the legs adjust from normal to wide during a course of fire, probably recoil, shifting around etc. This one seems like it won't happen. Nice improvements. From the factory the tension for the cant was on pretty darn tight, had to get a tool to loosen it, but yeh it works, with just a standard grip I can lock it in well w/o any tools.

Thanks! I switched from a PRS Short Gen 1 to the Gen2 Standard. Still getting used to the new height. There's definitely a lot less play in the legs.

I like that the stance pins are now not as loose and won't accidentally move. I've had it where I've been shooting and suddenly one of the legs adjust from normal to wide during a course of fire, probably recoil, shifting around etc. This one seems like it won't happen. Nice improvements. From the factory the tension for the cant was on pretty darn tight, had to get a tool to loosen it, but yeh it works, with just a standard grip I can lock it in well w/o any tools.

I just got my Gen I's from the black friday sale, I have been thinking of putting some heavier springs under those pins to make them more positive. I'll shoot it a while and see. Shot off it Saturday and it was fine, but would be easy to make them more positive.

When I received my Gen 1's, full disassembly clean and grease generously with a good synthetic and then reassemble. Ensures a healthy long life and easier to manipulate during use. I do like the heavier spring idea, haven't had the legs move during use but it could happen.

Recently I seen a product like the PodLok available for the CKYE. Not sure if it fits on anything above Gen1 though.

Yeah that SAC pod-loc is a must-have. I have a Gen 1 and carrying a wrench to adjust the tension is...something I don’t have to do on a $100 Harris. Good on them for making it easier on the new ones.

can anyone source a link or a post talking bout the spring swap for the Gen1s? my buddy has one and was to add stronger springs.

@MDT_Josh

EDIT:

Could you elaborate a little more on what you did here? My pan on my new gen 1.5 definitely has some slop in it when locked, and not leg movement, actually at the pan pivot, and is incredibly hard to disengage the pan lock ( I'm a toolmaker by trade and don't have girly hands by any means, and it actually hurts)

I took out the set screw, and took out the screw that holds the arca clamp on. I also backed out the set screw that holds the spring/ball for the panlock. I didn't take it out, just backed it out a little bit. I then aligned all the pins and put everything back together and the slop went away.

I missed the ckye pod boat, waiting for them to make more. Hopefully won’t be too long

Reactions: Sc0-
    Just got the email guys! Gen 2 ckye pods in stock at MDT! Get em while they're hot 🔥

@MDT_Josh Dumb question since I'm considering a multi-pull version and I'm a lefty. Any issues attaching the ckye pod with knob on the RH side of the chassis and just rotating the legs 180? Do I still have the ability to lock pan?

I missed the ckye pod boat, waiting for them to make more. Hopefully won’t be too long
    If your on the email list it should be soon...im sming they are goimg in order. I recieved an email today and bought one. It said they were in stock in short supply. I went to the website and nothing was there. I only got on the list yesterday....hopefully I didn't just pay for backorder!
    Just got the email guys! Gen 2 ckye pods in stock at MDT! Get em while they're hot 🔥

@MDT_Josh Dumb question since I'm considering a multi-pull version and I'm a lefty. Any issues attaching the ckye pod with knob on the RH side of the chassis and just rotating the legs 180? Do I still have the ability to lock pan?

YAAAAAAS! We're so excited to have them back out in the wild finally and I don't think that this batch will last long.

As a lefty, I run all the Ckye-Pod's "backwards" and have no issues. With the Gen 2, you'll still be able to lock out the pan, however, your barricade stop will be facing away from you and the tension adjust knob will face back towards you. The only way to get around this (not available on the double or triple pulls) is to order the LH specific variants (knob on the right) which will then be the right orientation for us south paws.

Josh

I ordered one up soon as I saw they were back, glad I did too as I hear they were snatched up within hours lol. I grabbed a LH version mostly because it was the only option that didn’t have a 12 week wait time. Looking forward to trying it out 😁

Last edited:
    Just called MDT yesterday to see when my order from the 11th would get tracking assigned. They told me that orders not placed on February 10th will most likely be back ordered till lake Late March/April

• Sad
    Reactions: Mausertech
    Just called MDT yesterday to see when my order from the 11th would get tracking assigned. They told me that orders not placed on February 10th will most likely be back ordered till lake Late March/April
    That’s no bueno.

Been nice if they'd of provided a little note saying that when I ordered on the 11th. :sneaky:

I don't "need" one that bad.

Been nice if they'd of provided a little note saying that when I ordered on the 11th. :sneaky:

I was a little surprised too as the website made it seem like they were ready to ship

Last edited:

Be even nicer if they didn’t take our money until they actually have the product on hand
    MDT giving off the “optics planet” vibe right now

Last edited:
    Yeah, folks like Brownells do not charge you until the product ships. This charging you 24 hours after you buy it and then waiting 3 months is not cool.

Reactions: Mausertech
    Never would of imagined a run on $600 bipods......I need to reevaluate some things.

I’d rather pay up front than have 600 bucks pulled from my account randomly. But either way. I’d back order one if I needed another but I do not.

Do I hear 1k for a Gen 2 Ckye pod? Ready to ship tomorrow, gently used. Click the spoiler for PayPal info. 1st to send funds get it.

Issa joke

Issa joke again