• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Wellfleet 2018

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Annual vacation to Cape Cod.

This year we have a mission...

The Father in Law is taking his last trip striper fishing....

P8128087[1].jpg

The home we are renting is owned by peeps we think are from New York.......

Wish I could interpret this one.....

P8128084[1].jpg

Perhaps Avicado or FakeDad are familiar with its meaning.

Of course the socially conscience New Yorkers hit all the possible agendas that could rent their property...

P8128085[1].jpg

We have African art, asian Art and God forbid some low life makes it in we should appeal to some good Ole' Johnny Cash attitude.

Reactions: jungle45 and 1J04
    Perhaps leave some pictures around that poster of all the dissidents Lenin had murdered. I believe remembering that part if history is important.
    Looks like that one is celebrating his violent commie self instead of condemning it.

They arent hard to find these days on the web.

Powerful times, giving them back. Hope its meaningful and provides the necessary closure.

Perhaps leave some pictures around that poster of all the dissidents Lenin had murdered. I believe remembering that part if history is important.
    Looks like that one is celebrating his violent commie self instead of condemning it.

They arent hard to find these days on the web.

Powerful times, giving them back. Hope its meaningful and provides the necessary closure.

Maybe take a piss in the baseboard heaters or leave a Strunza there.

Wouldnt be right though. Likely Id only ruin some harder workers long expected vacation.

I guess when the Commissariat takes over this property....

P8138090[1].jpg

I can sign up for some vacation time every ten years or so.

Kids will be happy to ride their bikes....

P8138089[1].jpg

P8138088[1].jpg

Last edited:
    Kind of crappy weather but we made it to the beach.

This is the suck side of the Cape - The Bayside....

P8138091[1].jpg

P8138092[1].jpg

It probably wont be there long......about on the right side of the top picture approximately 15-20 feet underwater lies the (Trigger warning) SS James Longstreet (Trigger warning).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_James_Longstreet

Once upon a time we used to name ships after Confederate Generals. The Longstreet was a Liberty ship that sailed during WWII. After the war it was towed to Cape Cod Bay and used as a target ship.

Once upon a time you could sit on this beach and watch an aerial bombardment show. We have had the kids above her fishing for sea bass and such. Good times.

Im guessing the SJW crowd will call for the Bay to be filled in to erase the memory of General James Longstreets namesake ship.

Also out on the Bay today were a few Areys Pond Cats....

This would be a dream of mine....

apby-29ftr.jpg

http://areyspondboatyard.com/apby-built-boats/29-catboat/

Beautiful craft, perfect for sailing Cape Cod Bay or the inlets and bays on the Atlantic side.

Edward Hopper caught the spirit of what I seek....

Ground Swell Edward Hopper.jpg

Kids found evidence of sea life...

P8138094[1].jpg

Still life........."Dad's Throne at the Beach"

P8138095[1].jpg

Picked up a good deal on the ride home. Buying a book down here is something I do every year.....

P8138097[1].jpg

Got "Army at Dawn", the first in the trilogy about ten years ago, first year we brought my infant son down. Picked up "Day of Battle" at some point. Now Ill finish the series.

Ever been by Chatham?

Last year I read The Finest Hours. As an old sailor, I'd like to stand on the shore from where guys with giant nads like Bernie Webber, Andy Fitzgerald, Ervin Maske, Rich Livesy, Donald Bangs, Antonio Ballerini, Richard Ciccone, and Emory Haynes cast off into near certain death to try to save others in peril on the sea.

Semper Paratus

Ever been by Chatham?

Last year I read The Finest Hours. As an old sailor, I'd like to stand on the shore from where guys with giant nads like Bernie Webber, Andy Fitzgerald, Ervin Maske, Rich Livesy, Donald Bangs, Antonio Ballerini, Richard Ciccone, and Emory Haynes cast off into near certain death to try to save others in peril on the sea.

Semper Paratus

My Father in Law served out of Chatham Station.

Hanging on his shed was a life ring marked "36500". I doubt it was original but the 36500 was "abandoned" behind Chatham station and it is where it was resurrected from.

The whole family has taken the ride on CG36500 from Rock Harbor, Orleans.

We are hoping to hook up with the current patrol boat on Thursday.

We intended to transfer the FIL's cremains to them and have them do an at sea burial.

I called to arrange this about 2 months ago and was told to call back the week of our vacation. Called last week was told to call this week. Called today spoke to a very nice BM1. He checked with his Chief and was told we needed to submit paperwork three weeks ago to make arrangements for transfer of the remains :(.

They are still going to meet up with us at sea. We will do the internment three miles offshore. The CG will pay respects by being on station while we place BM3 "Bucko" in the deep.

"Bucko" is inside the box on the first post. For an at Sea Cremains internement the funeral home hooks us up with a ball of salt, approximatly basketball sized containing his ashes. Into the drink, the water does its solvent thing and Mark is disbursed to the sea he loved.

Either before or after we will be fishing the "rips" off Chatham....

Some world class striper action.

These Fuckers are making the beach trips a little bit unnerving....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...seal-ocean-causing-liters-blood-gush-out.html

We will be at White Cliffs Beach, Wellfleet tomorrow.

Last year we watched the Conservancy boat patrol in front of our beach chairs and the guards flew the purple flag with shark silhouette calling us out of the water.

The video in the Daily Mail story is probably off Marconi Beach, Wellfleet where Barry Clifford researches pirate Sam Bellamys ship wrecked "Wydah".

Last edited:
    To you peeps that live in a marine climate 24/7........

I wonder if you find wiping your ass with dry shitpaper as alien to you as I find our "pre-moistened" ass wipe, curling papers, ball point pens not working on the damp writing pad, clothes coming out of the dryer "dry" than becoming moist as they sit waiting to be used?

To you peeps that live in a marine climate 24/7........

I wonder if you find wiping your ass with dry shitpaper as alien to you as I find our "pre-moistened" ass wipe, curling papers, ball point pens not working on the damp writing pad, clothes coming out of the dryer "dry" than becoming moist as they sit waiting to be used?

Normal growing up in a Caribbean island. Add hot all year round to that.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Aah, yes, I love the smell of salt flats in the morning...

No, really.

Parris Island, Tybee Island, Ogunquit, etc.

Greg

The good side of the Cape.......

P8138098[1].jpg

P8138099[1].jpg

Nothing out there until you hit Northern Spain or Portugal....

P8138101[1].jpg

Thats the shark tagging boat doing its thing.

Because the gray seals are so tasty to Great Whites....

P8138103[1].jpg

ONly going in the water so far, actually just about two feet off where we stand there is a big dip in the beach bottom where the waves break and it goes to about 5-6 feet deep plenty of draft for a good sized fish to come just within a few feet of shore for his dinner...

IMG_1028.jpg

and as the sharks shall eat so should we....

IMG_1063.jpg

Buca's is highly recommended to anyone at that end of the Cape.

Reactions: Rthur and 1J04
    Annual vacation to Cape Cod.

This year we have a mission...

The Father in Law is taking his last trip striper fishing....

View attachment 6932276

The home we are renting is owned by peeps we think are from New York.......

Wish I could interpret this one.....

View attachment 6932277

Perhaps Avicado or FakeDad are familiar with its meaning.

Of course the socially conscience New Yorkers hit all the possible agendas that could rent their property...

View attachment 6932278

We have African art, asian Art and God forbid some low life makes it in we should appeal to some good Ole' Johnny Cash attitude.

Always entertaining reading through the "guidebooks" they leave for visitors. One year, on Lake Murray I'm flipping through looking for local menus and I see the "rules." No firearms allowed. Shoulda told me before cashing my check.

Got the kids off their electronic shit out for a bike ride in the rental house neighborhood....

P8148108[1].jpg

Fiddler crabs in the salt marshes...

P8148111[1].jpg

P8148110[1].jpg

Wellfleet inlet......
    P8148113[1].jpg

This is where the Wellfleet oysters are raised. Today there was a thunder storm to the north....

P8148114[1].jpg

Love my P47 painted Cannondale. The fuckers dont build their bikes in the USA since just after I bought that one some 12 or so years ago. Ill never buy another one if its marked made in China and I hope Trump tariffs their shit.....

P8148116[1].jpg

Later visited Chatham Light Station. It is the Coast Guard Station that the 36500 took off from in The Finest Hours.

P8158132[1].jpg

44 foot Motor Life Boat - veritable Battleship compared to the boat it replaced the 36500 Motor Life Boat. Im not certain but I think the hull number on this boat indicates it is the first of the series. 44 designates 44 feet. 3 Im guessing means the third model life boat and 01 is the first in the third series. This boat initially served out of Chatham. For a period of time it went to Oregon from which it was intended to be retired. When the Chatham Station found out it was to be retired to a museum piece they asked for it back and it served a number of more years....

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20160506/coast-guards-lesser-known-lifeboat-celebrated-in-chatham

P8158117[1].jpg

P8158119[1].jpg

P8158120[1].jpg

Props and keel. The weighted keel makes these things "Self Righting"

P8158121[1].jpg

Inside the lighthouse....

P8158122[1].jpg

P8158126[1].jpg

The lens rotator...

P8158129[1].jpg

Tommorow we take off in the "Headhunter". Last boat in line at Stage Harbor....

P8158133[1].jpg

Berthed nearby is the new Motor Lifeboat...

P8158134[1].jpg

P8158135[1].jpg

Got the kids off their electronic shit out for a bike ride in the rental house neighborhood....

View attachment 6933176

Fiddler crabs in the salt marshes...

View attachment 6933177

View attachment 6933181

Wellfleet inlet......View attachment 6933182

This is where the Wellfleet oysters are raised. Today there was a thunder storm to the north....

View attachment 6933185

Love my P47 painted Cannondale. The fuckers dont build their bikes in the USA since just after I bought that one some 12 or so years ago. Ill never buy another one if its marked made in China and I hope Trump tariffs their shit.....

View attachment 6933187

Trek can build you a new bike out of American products and assembled in their Wisconsin plant.
    They do custom paint and all.
    Maybe it's time for a new ride?...

A handful of years back, one of my former Eagle Scouts was an instructor on those 42's in Oregon. Now he's doing drug interdiction out of Key West.

Greg

Trek can build you a new bike out of American products and assembled in their Wisconsin plant.
    They do custom paint and all.
    Maybe it's time for a new ride?...

Ill be riding that Cannondale US Made frame until it snaps in half.

Taking Bucko on his last fishing trip....

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

P8158137[1].jpg

IMG_1162 (1).jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

P8158145[1].jpg

Last edited:
    We were limited on the fishing time as we had an appointment to meet the Coast Guard at Bouy 3 Chatham Roads

P8158147[1].jpg

Awesome place. The waves sound the brass bell...

Marks chosen place to ride the Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Coast Guard came in right on time...

P8158149[1].JPG

P8158150[1].jpg

Tried to get some pomp and ceremony with the flag but we are not a very practiced unit..

P8158151[1].jpg

The Coast Guard took care of the honor and respect part...

P8158158[1].jpg

When given the signal they did a high speed run around the Headhunter...

P8158160[1].jpg

Im wearing Marks P41 Field Blouse. Even as late as 1959 the USMC was issuing WWII field gear. Mark was in the 6th Marines active duty and Joined the USCG Reserves in the 70s, retiring from that service in the early 90s as a crewman at Chatham Station.

P8158162[1].jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rthur and dinc
    Later we came across the 42001 doing some Helo Training....

P8168173[1].jpg

P8168175[1].jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg

Beach later in the day hoping the Great Whites didnt mistake us for these guys...

P8158146[1].jpg

A 60 odd year old man wasnt as lucky yesterday. One of the Whites took a bite on him. Since the population of Whites has expanded two people have been hit and to my grateful amazement both were relatively unmauled. I didnt think Whites ever nibbled but at least two did.

P8168180[1].jpg

P8168181[1].jpg

P8168179[1].jpg

Not a bad day. I think Mark would have enjoyed it.

Fantastic write-up and much respect to you and your family for making sure your FIL's remains got that kind of treatment.

Fantastic write-up and much respect to you and your family for making sure your FIL's remains got that kind of treatment.

After we made our stop at Bouy 3 we headed into Harwich Harbor and checked out the high dollar luxury boats. The tides had turned so fishing would have been a waste we did a little sight seeing.

Heading back out to open water we were just passing by Bouy 3 again when the radio started mentioning a Minke whale in the area and sure enough I saw the last of his dorsal fin about 3-400 yards ahead of us as we rolled along.

Than direct front of our bow about 5-600 yards out a Humpack whale came straight vertical about 3/4 of his body length out of the water.

We had Bouy 3 and the whale directly in sight line.

Its an odd spot for those big guys as due south end of the Cape is not all that deep.

Go east of Provincetown or the Outer Cape and that is where you expect to see the Leviathan.

With water all of about 100 feet deep and an animal 40-50 feet long that not a lot of water to get up to speed and raise 50-60 tons 3/4 of its weight out of the water.

I joked with my wife and mother in law "Did you see the big ball of salt he had in his mouth?"

(the big ball of salt being the eco friendly biodegradable urn that the funeral director provided us for the ocean internment - Pretty neat if anyone considers it. They have floaters and sinkers. Ours was a sinker and it dropped fast right where Mark wanted to be)

Wonderful.
    Nice to see he got his last wishes. Looks like a memorable trip celebrating the life of a man you all loved and respected.

And you got some fishing in!

We were lucky with the fish to get some schoolies that the kids could actually reel in. Usually everything out there is in the 40 inch class and those kids, and the MIL can barely get them in. The wife struggles with them.

Last outing 4-5 years ago the FIL couldnt reel 'em in, nor the MIL, nor my son, and my wife had my much younger daughter on her lap.

I had to reel in each fish which sounds ideal but after 4-5 of those sacks of struggling concrete it gets wearing.

Last edited:
    Great pictures!

I've avoided the Cape last bunch of years... Last went to Chatham c. 2000.

I might have to see if Busenhalter-6 wants to go down Late Oct. Cape is great in fall. Late fall in particular. Not many people. I've always wanted to see a real 'Noreaster from Nantucket. Someday!

Thanks for sharing some fantastic pictures!

Cheers,

Sirhr

All day at the beach.

We went to Morris Island at the south end of Chatham. An enlightened community to say the least.....

IMG_1381.jpg

On prime property out there is a weather station/former Life Saving Station that has been in existence since before 1900. Its Federal designation means "the Little People" like myself are able to leak in to the community like a contagion - as long as we stay on our designated street in and out of the National Park property.

Swimming inside Chatham inlet provides a little bit less wave action more sea life for the kids to screw with and it allowed me prime binocular viewing of the breaks in the Nauset Sand spit where I could view wild ocean.

Some serious boating action out there that has the wife and I thinking of buying something. A center console Whaler would probably be ideal for us to run from shore to sand bar or harbor to harbor.

Later went to Chatham fish pier to see what the boats were hauling in...

P8178188[1].jpg

Lots of Skate wings as is typical...

P8178182[1].jpg

P8178183[1].jpg

Usually they dump tubs of Sand Sharks and Skate. I was surprised to see a few tubs of good looking Cod are going to market. Hope they are finding plenty of these boys out there....
    P8178184[1].jpg

P8178185[1].jpg

I dont know, looking at those fish now maybe not Cod, perhaps some sort of Pollock, Likely to go on the menu as Schrod I guess.

Seals didnt care anything that fell in was food....

P8178186[1].jpg

Coast Guard maintains two more 42 foot Motor Life Boats (42002 and 42003) at the Chatham fish pier....

P8178189[1].jpg

While at the beach I saw them rip through the inlet on a smaller RIB style, center console MLB with four man crew and twin outboard 150s. Through binos I could see everyone on board had a Sig on the belt. One of the reasons the FIL kind of soured on his second branch of service at the end of his career was the move in the organization towards more law enforcement activity. His thing was the life saving and safe boating function. He was of the opinion the CG should always be the guy you are happy to see show up not get an "Oh fuck!" reaction.

Pretty happy with how that young crew treated us the other day and proud to see "kids" handling a multi million dollar piece of equipment with great skill.

Last edited: