• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Went for a winter Walk today....

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Got up at 515.....asked kids if they wanted to go snow shoeing....both said no......I ate my 5 strips of bacon, 3 eggs and cup of Hazlenut coffee than hit the road before 700...

First stop.....Say hello to Capt Parker...

P1010386.JPG

The honored dead of Lexington Green...

P1010387.JPG

P1010388.JPG

Had hoped to start walking the Battle Road further east but none of the Parking lots are plowed. The battle scene at Fiske Hill, The Bluff and Parkers Revenge will have to be visited later. I started the walk/shoe at the main visitor center lot. Temps low twenties, incredibly crisp, dense, air.

P1010389.JPG

P1010390.JPG

Im walking east to west. This is probably only one of the stops that is actually in its correct chronological setting. for the post and those to come.

P1010391.JPG

P1010392.JPG

A section of the Battle road still much in its original state....

P1010393.JPG

Paul Revere capture site. I was initially pissed that the signage was covered and unreadable, I took it as disrespect, but its ice and I tried but I could not clear the signs.....

P1010394.JPG

P1010395.JPG

British Dead still lay along the road. The consulate comes every year and frequently puts up new flags.....

P1010396.JPG

The underpass at the road to Hanscom AFB....would have been a good ambush point back in the day. This is actually not a section of the historical road...that is to the right where Route 2A is currently bedded....

P1010397.JPG

Last edited:
    The Captain Smith House....love this place.

P1010398.JPG

P1010399.JPG

P1010400.JPG

This is the longest section of original road. The obelisks mark the original road and how far you are from Boston Harbor as well distance to North Bridge.....

P1010401.JPG

P1010402.JPG

A witness house. They do great re-enactment presentations here....

P1010403.JPG

looks like a good walk. I drive by that park reasonably often, but have not had the opportunity to hike it...

I spend my time out the other side of town, right on the Maynard/Acton/Concord border, I manage the remediation of the factory that used to make depleted uranium penetrators for the Army...

Reactions: pmclaine
    My camera is kind of shitting the bed. Its a 14-42 zoom but will only work zoomed all the way out. Im finding it harder to find a camera on the shelf than match .308 ammo.......

The Bloody Angle.....

P1010404.JPG

This is looking in the direction the Brits were marching from......

P1010405.JPG

They had to make a right turn at that small trail marker sign. The Americans were on both sides of the road once they made the turn. L-Shaped ambushes had yet to be developed. Freindly fire from opposing forces was not a concern when you became basically a "Berserker" knowing your actions of the day marked you for death should your effort fail.

This is the British view before turning right....

P1010406.JPG

In order to get to the Angle ahead of the Brits the Colonists went "cross country".....

P1010407.JPG

The fields they crossed. I take a later picture from the other side....

P1010408.JPG

The forest they climbed.....

P1010409.JPG

Thank you!

Growing up with history minded parents, we didn't take a road trip without stopping at any and all historical sites along the way. Didn't appreciate it as a 5 year old, but now... Yeah, it's everything.

I'll ask the folks if we ever stopped there. I only remember the forts and battlefields. The Smith house looks familiar though.

Reactions: kimbergoldmatch
    Merriams Corner is as far west as I walked. Beyond this is a half mile of BLM signs, Hate has no Home Here, Leash Laws for cats, banned plastic water bottles, Longfellow and Little Women. The freedom stuff picks up again after that shit.....another day.

To make time I put on the snow shoes.....

P1010423.JPG

Pictures of stuff as I headed back east....maybe my next Filson purchase will come from here...

P1010424.JPG

P1010426.JPG

The longest stretch of Battle road from Bloody angle to Capt Smith House....

P1010427.JPG

P1010428.JPG

P1010429.JPG

P1010430.JPG

P1010431.JPG

P1010432.JPG

P1010433.JPG

The new tyranny......

P1010434.JPG

P1010435.JPG

P1010436.JPG

That was it for pictures until I got back in my town.....This is Massachusetts Avenue. Looks like they got a new store front...."Rephairations".....cute huh?

P1010437.JPG

The actual battle road is the next street south of this point running parallel. I think back in the day this area was a wetland and the historical road was on the highland right of this view. 500 yards from this point was a big battle named "Foot of the Rocks". Many from Menotomy, as well as Brits died that day in 1775......now we have reparations.

Thanks for the pictures and brings me back to growing up in Bergen County before it was totally developed. In the area where I grew up there are several revolutionary battlefields and colonial era structures in abundance. We used to venture in the woods to explore for days on end and came across an abandoned colonial era graveyard in the middle of the woods with trees growing up in it.

Nice area to walk around for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing it makes me sad that I have never got to see this, I just love historic places and always stop, have been to the Little Big Horn several times. Thank You, beautiful pictures.

Thanks for sharing it makes me sad that I have never got to see this, I just love historic places and always stop, have been to the Little Big Horn several times. Thank You, beautiful pictures.

Little Bighorn is awesome......sad but awesome.

Daughter and I up the mountain and she taught an old dog new tricks with an iPhone.

Attachments

• D06C517F-FDB5-41E0-A903-7308D18CA8C0.jpeg
      D06C517F-FDB5-41E0-A903-7308D18CA8C0.jpeg
      324.9 KB · Views: 57
    • 1568A4C1-B48D-4732-9259-D83E9053A79E.jpeg
      1568A4C1-B48D-4732-9259-D83E9053A79E.jpeg
      786 KB · Views: 53
    • D6A26658-9585-4A3A-B686-BAACCAA670CF.jpeg
      D6A26658-9585-4A3A-B686-BAACCAA670CF.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 45
    • 36D63E8C-961B-4BCF-A740-50D0CA6851C2.jpeg
      36D63E8C-961B-4BCF-A740-50D0CA6851C2.jpeg
      791.9 KB · Views: 44
    • 933A8EC1-6EE5-4405-BD5C-BEBF36D80EF0.jpeg
      933A8EC1-6EE5-4405-BD5C-BEBF36D80EF0.jpeg
      644.5 KB · Views: 49
    • C1F96D3F-E07F-43BE-B93A-1F367F267B37.jpeg
      C1F96D3F-E07F-43BE-B93A-1F367F267B37.jpeg
      677.3 KB · Views: 54
    • F80C08A4-52DB-4CD5-B501-B8DF6D37CBBC.jpeg
      F80C08A4-52DB-4CD5-B501-B8DF6D37CBBC.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 54
    Salem, VA
    We had a lot of quality time. She was genuinely loving all the ice covered plants at that level. At 13, I’m just glad she wanted to hang out. 😂

Good for you. I got 12 and 13. Neither wanted to get up and go yesterday. They have walked that road before but yesterday with the clear air was fantastic.

Airfield is nearby and peeps were practicing take off and landing. The sound of the piston engines was so crisp. weird thing was that jets work the other way. It sound like they are barely working in that air.

Friend is a TFO on a helicopter he says cold air gives them lift like a MFer. I know my carbed Harley loved cold air. Guessing AC run that much better in cold.

Bullets with no extra propellant to keep em flying cant do as well in that dense cold air.

Reactions: db2000
    Little Bighorn is awesome......sad but awesome.
    It makes me really sad when I think that a lot of the generation growing up today have no idea what places like the Battle Road, the Little Bighorn and many more like them really are, it's just not a priority for them or the people that are supposed to teach our kids the history of our great nation. Guess it's up to us to teach our kids what places like this really mean.

Thank you sir. I throughly enjoyed that. Sad that for a lot of folks today, the colonist's actions are seen as acts of oppression and gun violence...

99 out of 100 do not realize the importance of the first few pics

literarily the first few days of the war changed the world forever

99 out of 100 do not realize the importance of the first few pics

literarily the first few days of the war changed the world forever

Look up my follow on regards the walk from Merriam to beyond the Bridge.

I bought a paperback book, almost pamphlet sized, at the visitor center on the Battle Road with some great detail.

I never realized the significance of the two dead Brit soldiers buried at the bridge and how the actions of a young boy probably had more to ensuring a war of hate rather than a "skirmish" followed by a cooling down period and perhaps some negotiation to repair the rift.

PM me your address and I will send you a copy as you did me a solid not so long ago........

Reactions: brianf
    Look up my follow on regards the walk from Merriam to beyond the Bridge.

I bought a paperback book, almost pamphlet sized, at the visitor center on the Battle Road with some great detail.

I never realized the significance of the two dead Brit soldiers buried at the bridge and how the actions of a young boy probably had more to ensuring a war of hate rather than a "skirmish" followed by a cooling down period and perhaps some negotiation to repair the rift.

PM me your address and I will send you a copy as you did me a solid not so long ago........
    ill see if i can find it online first
    if not ill shoot you a PM

Reactions: pmclaine
    I missed this when you put it out a couple months ago. Very cool stuff, and the history is so important. I think that is so lost on many of today’s younger people. Thanks for all the pics. Pretty cool.

Reactions: rhsc
    You guys reviving this thread gave me a new walk.

On my drive home today I eyeballed "Folly Pond".

Going to have to make an explore and see if the grave of the Brit soldier that died at the Smith House is marked.

Been wanting to explore that area as there are lots of stone wall that indicate the agriculture nature of the area at the time of the Revolution.

There are a couple more sights in the east that went very hot that day I havent posted pictures of.

Walking the land you really get an idea for why skirmishes happened where they did.

The Park actually does a horrible job memorializing the battle as compared to say Gettysburg.

Within the last 5 years an archeological dig occurred that relocated the point where Capt Parker gained some revenge for his wounds taken on the Lexington Green in the morning.

Those relics should have prominent display in the visitor center but all the visitor center provides is a gift store and an interpretive movie....very few artifacts.

Things will be getting busy there in the next week or two as we approach Patriots Day. Ill take a vacation day or two to get some more pictures.....if they enforce a bunch of covid bullshit though I will walk away......at that location freedom stealing is an affront to my good senses.

You guys reviving this thread gave me a new walk.

On my drive home today I eyeballed "Folly Pond".

Going to have to make an explore and see if the grave of the Brit soldier that died at the Smith House is marked.

Been wanting to explore that area as there are lots of stone wall that indicate the agriculture nature of the area at the time of the Revolution.

There are a couple more sights in the east that went very hot that day I havent posted pictures of.

Walking the land you really get an idea for why skirmishes happened where they did.

The Park actually does a horrible job memorializing the battle as compared to say Gettysburg.

Within the last 5 years an archeological dig occurred that relocated the point where Capt Parker gained some revenge for his wounds taken on the Lexington Green in the morning.

Those relics should have prominent display in the visitor center but all the visitor center provides is a gift store and an interpretive movie....very few artifacts.

Things will be getting busy there in the next week or two as we approach Patriots Day. Ill take a vacation day or two to get some more pictures.....if they enforce a bunch of covid bullshit though I will walk away......at that location freedom stealing is an affront to my good senses.
    See if there are any bones in that britt's grave. Two bucks if there's a skull.
    But seriously, good job on the documented historical walks, I follow them

See if there are any bones in that britt's grave. Two bucks if there's a skull.
    But seriously, good job on the documented historical walks, I follow them

I think the body was uncovered in the late 1800s during a road project. Kind of heard a story that in the 50s when the present road was being put down he was discovered than also.

None of the markers indicate an exact spot.

They all state "Near here......"

Got to think any relics that could be dug up would be very valuable, even if a disgusting despicable crime, and they are trying to keep those that dont give a shit away.

You pull a metal detector out any where near a NPBS stand by.......

I think the body was uncovered in the late 1800s during a road project. Kind of heard a story that in the 50s when the present road was being put down he was discovered than also.

None of the markers indicate an exact spot.

They all state "Near here......"

Got to think any relics that could be dug up would be very valuable, even if a disgusting despicable crime, and they are trying to keep those that dont give a shit away.

You pull a metal detector out any where near a NPBS stand by.......

Many counties on the East Coast have denied all hobbyists from Metal Detecting on public property. Some actually making it a misdemeanor, while most just have it written as an illegal action.

I spent many years coin hunting and relic hunting Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland Delaware, and Pennsylvania. I miss those days. Private property isn't my cup of tea. Homeowners want everything you find. Churches can be a good spot if it's old enough and they just want historic artifacts.

There are pads were the old wood WWII barracks were located at Fort Devens. A Front Company street runs down between the rows. It was the last American home lots of dudes had before shipping to war.

The area is now fenced in and getting prepped for construction.

I would so love to metal detect the area.

Thing at Devens though is a lot of dug up shit explodes. Just last week A ramp on the highway had to be shutdown and EOD came up from RI to dispose of some sort of UXO.

In the Battle Road Park there is an area called Parkers Revenge were Capt Parker ambushed the Brit column. They originally located it at a rocky outcrop because their sense of tactics told them that is where the colonists should have been.

Reality is archeology found dropped ball, fired ball, and other indications of where the firefight occurred about 75 yards north.

Google search Capt Parkers Revenge archeology dig there is info on it.

Can you expound on the 2 dead brits and young boy you mentioned?

In this post.....

There is a grave at the Concord Bridge, British soldiers killed in the initial skirmish....pictures in the other walk.

From the book The Battle Road....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Started reading this....

qLB7sWKl.jpg

I read his WWII trilogy, an entertaining author, guess his research is good.

Getting through the parts right now about april 19 and they mention the "attrocity" at the bridge....

wEvCQSol.jpg

He names the party with the hatchet and claims him one of the Minutemen.

Further along he notes that it resulted in the British telling their fellow soldiers about scalping, gouging out eys and cutting off noses and ears.

Unsure about Mr. Atkinsons research.

The older book is based on info from older information coming from family members of participants closer to the time of the battle.

A really aged person in the 40s could possibly be the grand child of a participant.

Concord today is different from Concord than.

They want a leash law for cats and have banned the sale of bottled water in sizes less than 1 gallon.....you better be real thirsty in Concord if you want water.

If you were to interview a Concordian today about what they thought the battle at the bridge was about they would likely say it was a BLM victory.