• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Went to another estate auction

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
This is not about anything sniper but vintage.
I have a 30/40 Krag rifle and a carbine, both "sporterized" both have good metal and bores but Bubba had his way with the stocks. Both were given to me for services rendered.
I saw a sale bill at the elevator with 2 Krags on it so went to the auction in hopes of finding one that had not been sporterized. NO luck, these were really bad and Bubba, 92 years old, was there to "help" the auctioneer sell them.
With the rifles were old copies of Popular Mechanics, well worn, with instructions on how to "Sporterize your Krag rifle."
The Old Fart was pretty proud of those rifles and how the stocks had been redone and didn't understand why they brought so little at auction. He had worked real hard on those stocks and said they shoot great. I didn't bust his bubble, just told him they weren't what I was looking for with tears in my eyes.
He had also electro penciled his name and address on them in BIG Bold letters. It was really sad as both were in fine shape other than what he had done to them.
I have looked high and low for good stocks for years with no luck. Does anyone know where stocks can be bought?
I think even Jesus weeps when he hears Sporterized and rifles of that era seem to all have been Bubba'd. The search goes on and any help would be appreciated. FM

I would bet that Numrich (now Gun Parts Inc?) has stocks. And wouldn't you think one of the companies out there would be making reproductions by now?

I kick myself for not buying (un-sporterized) Krag's up here in the north woods in the '80s. They were plentiful and you could get them for $30 - 50. Noone wanted one.

Oops.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Im extra at work today.

I will try to head by the honey hole to see if he has any Krag wood available.

Anything I buy beyond that I blame you Foul Mike.

No one would be looking for the good ones if people hadn't fucked most of them up. The old catch 22.

Yeah, a strange deal indeed. We talk about "back in the day..." When Mausers were incredibly cheap @ $29.00 to $79.00, you could buy an old Krag for $10.00. And still, no one wanted them. A lot of them sat in someone's closet for a long, long time. At one point, these were being sold on the market @ $1.50. That was long before I was born, though.

pmc...you just go to your local little 'crackhouse of guns';)....this time post up some pics we can see! :D:D:D Photobucket screwed us out of the last ones you posted.:mad:
Save

I love my Krag. Took it out yesterday to play with the sights. There are several options on which knotch/aperture to use. Once you figure them out, and load the right ammo, (220 gr RN bullet about 1900-2000 fps) the trajectory matches the sight markings. Range it, set the sights and send it. Accurate.

Best of all its the smoothest action I've ever found on a bolt gun. Often I have to open the bolt to see if I really chamberd a round.

DSCN0061.JPG

And as I've mentioned before the Krag makes a "unique" 3 gun Rifle

08252013958.jpg

Ran across a guy at the CMP Oklahoma City GSM Games that had made a set of stripper clips for his Krag

IMG_1446.JPG

I wish it was easy as going to Numrich or something like that and getting an old one. Not so, I am not the only one out there looking.
I think that new repro ones are available and that would be better than nothing so I might bite that bullet. No one would be able to tell that is a new stock on an old rifle, right?
It is a shame what happened to those old war horses. Thanks gents, FM

I love my Krag. Took it out yesterday to play with the sights. There are several options on which knotch/aperture to use. Once you figure them out, and load the right ammo, (220 gr RN bullet about 1900-2000 fps) the trajectory matches the sight markings. Range it, set the sights and send it. Accurate.

Will an OHare/SBS sales sight micrometer work on the sight slide?

I use one on my 03 and setting elevation is easy and repeatable.

I can set 1/4 MOA clicks. In my logbook I record MOA for my reloads and disregard the slide markings.

I wish it was easy as going to Numrich or something like that and getting an old one. Not so, I am not the only one out there looking.
I think that new repro ones are available and that would be better than nothing so I might bite that bullet. No one would be able to tell that is a new stock on an old rifle, right?
It is a shame what happened to those old war horses. Thanks gents, FM

You don't, or cant due to distance, shop in the right places.

Stand by

Damn I oversold how attractive my hole is.

No wood.

A few sporters, some tastefully done, a Bannerman carbine with an RA '44 03 barrel chambered in 30-40 govt that would be a good looking shooter except no tangent sight just a Williams mounted on the rear also had 3-4 cutdown, not so tastefully done sporters.

Two platoons worth of Finn Mosins including a captured Westinghouse.

Oddly he had a platoons worth of Arisakas that have been brutalized probably by their GI captors.

A nice S&W Model 39 that was priced uncharacteristically high and did not tempt me.

Ill keep looking. Ive seen some beautiful Krags in there.

Last edited:
Will an OHare/SBS sales sight micrometer work on the sight slide?

I use one on my 03 and setting elevation is easy and repeatable.

I can set 1/4 MOA clicks. In my logbook I record MOA for my reloads and disregard the slide markings.

I'm not familiar with the OHare sights. My '98 Krag has the 1901 Buffington sight, not a whole lot different then the Buffington sight found on the 1878 Model '73. The Springfield 1903 sights is simular but different enough it may not. Depending on how the Ohare sight is attached.

As a bit off topic side note, of reciently, (last 20 years or so) we have discussed the "spin drift" effects so rifle shooting at distance. Aparently its not a new subject because infantry rifle sights take spin drift into account by their design. In other words as the slider is slid up the ladder, it moves slightly to the right (since most of our rifles were right hand twist.

In the past, long range shooting was taught, I mean extremely long range, 2000 yards or so. The Sights of the period rifles reflect this. I dont have a chart for the Buffington sight, but for example, the 1906 ammo for the Springfield drift about 1 foot at 1000 yards, 2 feet at 1200 4 at 1400 and my chart show all the way to 36 inches at 2800 yards.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I don't recall this being addressed in training with the M16/M4 systems.

Nor do I see indirect fire with a rifle being taught now, which was in the Marksmanship manuals of the early 1900s. I can't fantam teaching todays privates the math required of the pre WW1 soldiers.

I did run into that problem teaching Machine Gun schools ( as crew served weapons, and not squad automatic weapons. I had 3 battalions of Native, Alaskan eskimos, most of which didnt get much past the 8th grade. You can imagine my difficulties instructing the Mil sighting systems on the T&E of the M60. Just reading the MIL discussions on this and other sites brings back fond memories of working with these Alaska Native Guardsman.

Regardless, the sights on these old rifles are a wonder in themselves.

An OHare on the 1905 sight used with an M1903....

ohare.jpg

Each "click" raises the slider 1/4 MOA. At 200 yards, using the peep I need to dial on 30.5 MOA with my 168 grain reloads.

Its a fantastic tool.

well crap, something else for my "GOT TO HAVE" list.

Google SBS Sales.

They took over the designs RayVin used to manufacture including a neat carbide sight black lamp.

Creedmoor Sports used to carry these and that's where the pictured item came from.

Original OHares can be found for sale on Ebay and enthusiast sites. Most originals are US marked former shooting team property.

Originals $175 - $250

SBS repro $150