• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes were am I going wrong leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 ill M3

jesseanderson2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I have a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 ill M3 turrets (Bullet Drop Compensation dial)for 168gr bullets. At the range the rifle was right on at 100yds but the turret was set for 30-35 MOA (can't remember). I went out to shoot with some friends last weekend and before I moved the turret so the “zero” was set to 0 a friend adjusted it to 0, thinking 0 on the turret was were the zero was set at. After taking a shot at 216 yds the bullet was in the dirt 5 feet or so low……eeeeeek. After some adjustment I got it to paper after 4 shots. I came home and bore sighted the rifle with a laser and after finding zero, I loosened the set screws and set the turret for “zero” to 0 on the turret. Now the turret only has around 40MOA before it stops turning. This scope has 65MOA in it and the bases look like Mark 4 2 piece with 20 MOA in them also. So my question is why after I set the turret to 0 is there only 40-45 MOA? What am I doing wrong? Also the windage its also at 0 and can go 1.5 revolutions right and about .75 revolutions left. I’m really confused.
I think There is a simple zeroing et I overlooked but not sure.
Thanks for your help

Jesse

Re: were am I going wrong leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 ill M3

65 MOA is max travel from the very top to the very bottom.
65 divided by 2 gives you 32.5 minutes of elevation adjustment.

I'm thinking your base might be a 10 MOA model. Regardless, 40 MOA is sufficient to get you to 800 yards, which is stretching the 168.

Tell your friend to keep his dick skinners off your gear unless he asks about making adjustments first.

lol... it's ok, it forced me to trouble shoot which is when I learn the most.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know leupold made a MK4 10 MOA base.

Did you not check the scope to make sure it was at it's mechanical zero before you took it out to fire it? Even a new scope should be checked first.

I don't know if they ever made a MK4 base in 10 MOA, I was just supposing.

FWIW, they currently do not offer an angled two piece base, only a 0 MOA two piece.

It could be a Burris two piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you not check the scope to make sure it was at it's mechanical zero before you took it out to fire it? Even a new scope should be checked first. </div></div>

Scope was new to me not overall it was built around 2006/7ish. I did not check if it was at mechanical zero. I just bore sighted it yesturday with a laser and adjusted from there.

I've got a M3 mounted on my sons .223 with a zero MOA Badger base, similar to your setup. You only end up with @40 MOA of available elevation. You should consider a 20 MOA base, of your choice, because you actually are using a 0 MOA setup if they are Leupy bases. If I recall, I had a M3 setup on a 20 MOA Badger and had 55 MOA available.

If it's for this 20"er

100_1532.jpg

Pick up a 20MOA base and your scope should work as advertised, and allow you to use the full BDC on the dial.

I will be ordering a 20MOA base tomorrow, after reading this thread. That is the rifle
smile.gif