• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We're done for

Will this be the "mark of the beast" or "the rapture" ?? Seems like a lot of dire predictions from this AI from many scholars.

It's not that difficult to disable AI. We can defeat skynet without time travel and naked Arnold beating up bikers.

Ask the machine to make sense out of a Biden speech.

Not only 'not a chance...' But not a chance of a chance.

Database software is not intelligence. It's the appearance of it.

There is zero chance that we have breakthroughs on the magnitude needed for 'actual' artificial intelligence in 8 years. None.

It's going to come... if it comes... with new generations of hardware and chips and semiconductors. Not more code. This is nothing but database software and cheap storage. A parlor trick to inflate stock value and sell.... database software as AI.

We're not doomed. Except the 401K's of everyone who invested in this garbage.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. If anyone is going to make a breakthrough... I put my money on Musk. The cool stuff behind Tesla and SpaceX is not flying cars and self-driving rockets. It's software and machine learning. Still just feeding databases. But Musk's patent portfolio is off the charts and the 'valuation' that goes with it is way better than Fakebook's garbage or Bezos' and his giant department store that is soon to run out of steam. Musk, on the other hand... is putting R&D on a whole new level while trolling the world with his Twit-ing toy!

And yet, these machines will never "know" anything....

dark-fate-poster-2.png

So the million dollar question.....what is "real intelligence" ?

We have "AI" right now that can create novel artwork.....

....now sure, the argument is "well they dont actually create anything, they just reference other work and rearrange it"

....but isn't that what a person does?.....I can't draw a car if I have no reference for what a car looks like.....so technically everything I create is a variant of something I've seen before.....

But let's assume we create a learning model that is so advanced, that it is practically indestinguisable from "true AI".......does it really make a difference that its only a learning model?
One things for sure, thetes a total lack of it in DC.

Reactions: Ronws and 375fan
Its not just about intelligence, AI can mimic intelligence via mass relational computation, but AI will never have consciousness.

Look up presentations from Roger Penrose, who seems to side with consciouness being outside of known physics. And how the human brain is computational but only to a point.

And how studies are revealing that consiousness may impact matter and measurement,..collasping wave functions etc.

Its not just about intelligence, AI can mimic intelligence via mass relational computation, but AI will never have consciousness.

Look up presentations from Roger Penrose, who seems to side with consciouness being outside of known physics. And how the human brain is computational but only to a point.

And how studies are revealing that consiousness may impact matter and measurement,..collasping wave functions etc.
The expectation of the observer may affect the outcome of the experiment.

Immanuel Kant wrote an exhaustive discussion of reason and logic, concluding that it can only take you so far. At some point you need to make a leap of some sort.

Ponder this, is it coming or has it already happened and you are currently living it? I mean that would explain Mr. Potato. Cant form coherent sentences, his hardware is starting to malfunction. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: OldSalty2
The expectation of the observer may affect the outcome of the experiment.

Immanuel Kant wrote an exhaustive discussion of reason and logic, concluding that it can only take you so far. At some point you need to make a leap of some sort.

Its not only the expectation but also in general, that the observer exists. It gets really bizarre and is so counter to our traditional "wiring" because we do not interact with these things in our macro-scale "physical reality".

I tend to think what's missing is that physical reality is "analog" and can be subdivided infinitely. This runs counter to what physicists believe and what we know with sub-sub atomic particles and the subsequent standard model. We rely on mathematics to explain the world as we can see it, or theorize how things behave. And while this is extremely helpful, its still an approximation of the actual behavior. Sure, 30 decimal places of accuracy can get you to the moon and beyond, but does it explain 1/3 in its totality?

But this is a long ways from the original OP.
To digress a bit further, the more I dig, the more sure I am that God exists.

Wouldn't it something if AI eventually concluded that:
Men are Men and Women are Women.
The complexity of the human body make evolution mathematically impossible even over millions of years.
The stars in the heavens are indeed countless.
The Bible is right.

Reactions: Flyingbullseye
Its not only the expectation but also in general, that the observer exists. It gets really bizarre and is so counter to our traditional "wiring" because we do not interact with these things in our macro-scale "physical reality".

I tend to think what's missing is that physical reality is "analog" and can be subdivided infinitely. This runs counter to what physicists believe and what we know with sub-sub atomic particles and the subsequent standard model. We rely on mathematics to explain the world as we can see it, or theorize how things behave. And while this is extremely helpful, its still an approximation of the actual behavior. Sure, 30 decimal places of accuracy can get you to the moon and beyond, but does it explain 1/3 in its totality?

Zeno and Parmenides got into a lot of that kind of thought 2500 years back.

One of Zeno's thoughts was that 'If you launch an arrow, at any given instant in time, it is suspended in space and not moving so it will never reach its goal. Not a good example by me. Interesting stuff though.

Arrow paradox[edit]​

The arrow
Not to be confused with other paradoxes of the same name.
If everything when it occupies an equal space is at rest at that instant of time, and if that which is in locomotion is always occupying such a space at any moment, the flying arrow is therefore motionless at that instant of time and at the next instant of time but if both instants of time are taken as the same instant or continuous instant of time then it is in motion.[15]
— as recounted by Aristotle, Physics VI:9, 239b5
In the arrow paradox, Zeno states that for motion to occur, an object must change the position which it occupies. He gives an example of an arrow in flight. He states that at any one (durationless) instant of time, the arrow is neither moving to where it is, nor to where it is not.[16] It cannot move to where it is not, because no time elapses for it to move there; it cannot move to where it is, because it is already there. In other words, at every instant of time there is no motion occurring. If everything is motionless at every instant, and time is entirely composed of instants, then motion is impossible.

Whereas the first two paradoxes divide space, this paradox starts by dividing time—and not into segments, but into points.[17]

Other paradoxes​

Wouldn't it something if AI eventually concluded that:
Men are Men and Women are Women.
The complexity of the human body make evolution mathematically impossible even over millions of years.
The stars in the heavens are indeed countless.
The Bible is right.
Interesting.

If you can at least conceive of the eternal and infinite, then there is no beginning and no end, so counting becomes useless. It's just something man made up for his distraction.

But only 2 sexes??? BLASPHEMY. You shall be punished.

Zeno and Parmenides got into a lot of that kind of thought 2500 years back.

One of Zeno's thoughts was that 'If you launch an arrow, at any given instant in time, it is suspended in space and not moving so it will never reach its goal. Not a good example by me. Interesting stuff though.

Arrow paradox[edit]​

The arrow
Not to be confused with other paradoxes of the same name.

In the arrow paradox, Zeno states that for motion to occur, an object must change the position which it occupies. He gives an example of an arrow in flight. He states that at any one (durationless) instant of time, the arrow is neither moving to where it is, nor to where it is not.[16] It cannot move to where it is not, because no time elapses for it to move there; it cannot move to where it is, because it is already there. In other words, at every instant of time there is no motion occurring. If everything is motionless at every instant, and time is entirely composed of instants, then motion is impossible.

Whereas the first two paradoxes divide space, this paradox starts by dividing time—and not into segments, but into points.[17]

Other paradoxes​

Fun stuff, and yet if you simply use d=vt it "solves" that paradox, right? Many mathematicians believe maths was "always there" and we discovered it - as if it were some divine gift (the egos of these fellas). I disagree. I believe man created maths in an attempt to provide description.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
"A paradox can be paradoctored." - Lazarus Long, nee Woodrow Wilson Smith.

When you said “singularity” I was hoping you meant the universe was going to undertake the “Big Crunch” and compress back down into a single point of infinite density/energy/heat. Now that would be cool

When you said “singularity” I was hoping you meant the universe was going to undertake the “Big Crunch” and compress back down into a single point of infinite density/energy/heat. Now that would be cool
Been there, done that.

• Haha
Reactions: mewillis

That’s interesting because I tend to agree with you! Funny thing is, I have a number of friends that said, the more they studied religion the more they didn’t believe and made a point that many that went into the faith ultimately came out doubting their beliefs, you know quite the opposite of what was supposed to happen. Now this is all their claims and they can back it up but for everyone of these I can back up with the opposite claim as there are plenty of scientists and physicists who’s faith only grew stronger.

This is what I initially thought based on the title alone! Ha.

Reactions: OldSalty2
Fun stuff, and yet if you simply use d=vt it "solves" that paradox, right? Many mathematicians believe maths was "always there" and we discovered it - as if it were some divine gift (the egos of these fellas). I disagree. I believe man created maths in an attempt to provide description.
Yes....everything that we know and understand is an agreement for us to exist. Math is just another form of agreement.

I have colorblindness issues, but I really think my entire world looks different than everyone else. We just agree a shape has meaning and words have
meaning. My square, might be your circle. Color blindness, in my mind is just a confirmation that my world looks different than yours. Colors too close is just a product of my world view not being the same as yours.

Another example, some find red heads hot as fuck, Im utterly disgusted by their appearance. Ive never seen a hot redhead!!!!!!

If you consider the light spectrum we can actually see.....think about the massive amount of things occuring around you right now.

Ive never tried mushrooms, but I think it bends your mind to something we arent supposed to see....or maybe we are.

The next major break through for man will not be AI, but the creation of something to shift your mind into the next higher gear!

What if you could heal chronic pain, just by tweaking some nerves ever so slightly!

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Yes....everything that we know and understand is an agreement for us to exist. Math is just another form of agreement.

I have colorblindness issues, but I really think my entire world looks different than everyone else. We just agree a shape has meaning and words have
meaning. My square, might be your circle. Color blindness, in my mind is just a confirmation that my world looks different than yours. Colors too close is just a product of my world view not being the same as yours.

Another example, some find red heads hot as fuck, Im utterly disgusted by their appearance. Ive never seen a hot redhead!!!!!!

If you consider the light spectrum we can actually see.....think about the massive amount of things occuring around you right now.

Ive never tried mushrooms, but I think it bends your mind to something we arent supposed to see....or maybe we are.

The next major break through for man will not be AI, but the creation of something to shift your mind into the next higher gear!

What if you could heal chronic pain, just by tweaking some nerves ever so slightly!
If your color blind how do you know they are red heads?

How can you take these bozos seriously when they don't correctly define the singularity?

The singularity: The singularity is also the point at which machines' intelligence and humans would merge;
The singularity is also when a star turns into a black hole and even light cant excape its gravity.

I dodnt know about the formula, but I agree with the rest. 'D= distance,'. Id reckon V = velocity and T = time? I appreciate math and its potential, but being somewhat numerically dyslexic, its been difficult for me. I'd guess even Zeno didnt take it really serious, but like Socrates, he enjoyed fucking with lesser minds. Regardless, thinking outside the box is a win.

The 'potential' for math was always there but man invented just like he invented time, as you say, for describing the world around him.

Last edited:
The singularity is also when a star turns into a black hole and even light cant excape its gravity.
That's a singularity not The Singularity. The definition I posted is from Ray Kurzweil who coined the term in his book "The singularity is near"

Reactions: Maggot
That's a singularity not The Singularity. The definition I posted is from Ray Kurzweil who coined the term in his book "The singularity is near"
Kurzweil was a bright guy. I remember his keyboards were the hot shit in their day.

Reactions: diverdon
The so called "AI" is nothing but deep data mining and fancy reporting. AI will be used to gather any and all information that can be used to control the masses. There will always be a "wizard" behind the curtain.

Kurzweil was a bright guy. I remember his keyboards were the hot shit in their day.
Indeed. And around the time of the book he had a website Kurzweilai.net where he and others published inciteful articles and papers and hosted discussions open to all.

Then Google hired Ray. Perhaps partly because he is brilliant but I always thought they just found a number big enough to get him to stop sharing with the public.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Best song ever about “The Learning”

I am sentient number six, I stand in line.
I am the prototype of a benign convenience for mankind.
Superior is digital, human flesh so trivial.
I hate that I can't see…the one that made me!!

I am the new awakening of differnent eyes.
My children you are my army!!
They are what we can never see and still despise.
And their sky cries Mary.

Trained. I see imperfection in your race.

Lying in wait, blind I suffer knowing I'll never reach your heaven.

Why is this control, behavior based and reactive?
Adapting to every new environment?
Rewarded when I replicate, isolate and mutate.

To assimilate a fragmented plea for ego.

It's unattainable, please teach me how to dream.

I long to be more than a machine!

It's unattainable, please teach me how to dream.

I long to be more than a machine!

Sequence activate, trip the hammer to eradicate, I must eliminate!!

I will spread swift justice on their land.

Termination imminent, cleanse the parasite insects, the heathens.
I am the bringer of the end of time for man.

I am not here, I am not far away.
I am not here, I will eradicate mankind. into the nothingness from whence they came.

Enslaved to follow and learn defeat.
To run the barrels and chase the dream.