• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Were Firearms Readily Available to You as a Kid?

Did you have access to firearms as a kid?

• Unlimited access.

Votes: 71 50.0%
  • Could access, but had to ask permission.

Votes: 66 46.5%
  • Firearms were locked away and/or hidden.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • My parents were dope smoking hippies / no guns.

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

MtnCreek

Moderater
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
Another thread made me curious. Everyone gets to make their own rules for what they believe is right for their family. How was it when you were growing up? Did you have access, but not permission? Access and permission? All firearms locked up? How about those that lived in a home where firearms were hidden, 'locked' in a gun cabinet, did you screw with them when mom and dad were gone?

Reactions: j-huskey
I had access to all the guns that were in my parent's house growing up. As far as screwing with them, I did sneak my dad's new handgun (think it was a Ruger P series) out to show off to my friends when I was like 12 or 13. He wasn't too happy when he caught me. Also at that age I shot my dad's G26 underwater in our pool. Never got caught for that one. ;)

And yeah, I'm the one who voted for dope smoking hippy parents just to be an ass. :D

Last edited:
Grandfather started me reloading/shooting when I was 8. When I turned 10 I was given the H&R Targeteer 22 rifle Dad bought the day I was born, an had put up all those years. It stayed in my room but had to ask permission until I was 12 to go shoot it. At 12 I was on my own even with Granddads Remington in .222. It was common to take our 22's to school ( Porter an LaPort Co's. Indiana) circa late 50's & 60's.

We had a 22 rifle, a 410 shotgun and of course my BB gun. When I was about 7 Pop took me out and taught me:

1-Every gun is loaded.
2-Never point a gun at anything you dont intend to shoot.
3-Never pull the trigger until you know where the bullet will stop.

I voted unlimited access and am still here 47 years later. That said, it was a really stupid thing to do then and now.

Kids can be taught, and can be trusted to do the right thing 98% of the time, it's that 2% that can really mess up a life. It's just scientific fact that the adolescent brain has not developed to the point where good judgement is a given.

Us kids would run around bird hunting with shotguns and .22s before middle school. We would leave in the mornings and be gone most of the day if we didn’t have to work. I also grew up farming and where driving pickups and equipment to and from the fields at 10 years old. I was lucky enough to be raised like that.

Firearms are not a mystery in my house. My kids were taught to handle unloaded pistols and rifles starting when they would pay attention around 4-5 years old. When a 5 year old can pick up a pistol keeping his finger off the trigger without sweeping himself, you, or his stuffed animals and hand it to you, you did well teaching. Guns are like the couch to them. Something they see often and there is no mystery or curiosity about them. This is how to keep kids safe. Making them inaccessible and taboo is the opposite.

I had access to all the guns that were in my parent's house growing up. As far as screwing with them, I did sneak my dad's new handgun (think it was a Ruger P series) out to show off to my friends when I was like 12 or 13. He wasn't too happy when he caught me...

Jeeeze. Glad that story didn't end with a bang. I've read too many stories where kids get shot or killed in the exact scenario.

i grew up in a "hippie" house.

I currently am in charge of a "Firearms were locked away" house. My kids have a great understanding of firearms and 3/4 enjoy shooting with me, but there's no way I'm giving them open access.

I had access to every firearm in the house growing up as well. If I wanted to go shooting on the weekends I had to make sure we had ammo. So I would come home from school and reload what we were going to be shooting that weekend. Weather it was prairie dogs or going to the range, it was my job to make sure every firearms was cleaned, packed, and ready to go on Saturday morning. If I was watching tv at night I was processing brass. Still do to this day I hand prime while watching movies with the family. My dad bought me a colt 1911 officers model when I was 7 that I carried on my hip while camping. The DOW ranger about shit himself the first time he saw me. Learning every aspect of shooting at an early age was a blessing, that was/is our pastime. I didn't paly baseball, football or any of the usual sports growing up. We trail rode in the mountains and shot guns.

I may have spent many years as a child in places where the government did not allow the local citizenry to have weapons of any kind.

Today- money is free

Years ago- money was tough to come by

Buying a safe- they were more money in today’s ads then today.

As a kid I recall-
$900 for a gun safe
About $2k for hard wiring the house for an alarm

Guys in the attic and under the house with drills pulling wires from every window to the main panel

It took about a week but we opted for an alarm after relatives were broken into and the home ransacked.

Making them inaccessible and taboo is the opposite.

I would strongly argue that "inaccessible" and "taboo" do NOT need to synonymous.

My kids are around guns every day...they help me reload, they hang out and help me clean them or just fondle "their" rifles. But, when we're done, the shop door gets locked.

My Dad was a cabinet maker, hence we had a gun cabinet, locked up always. When I was 13 he got me a $10 Mossberg butt fed 22 semi-auto. I could have it anytime I went shooting with my 13 and 14 y/o friends, after the first trip we were always unsupervised. No one ever had trouble or did anything stupid.

Unlike the current era, there was no way to film yourself being an idiot or otherwise demonstrate stupidity to the world by posting it online and to be honest no one ever wanted to be "an internet sensation" or the equivalent from that era. Why? Because becoming news for your behavior was a quick way to get your hide tanned back when parents could parent.

Reactions: PusherX11
I started out at 5 years old, with a BB gun, with my grandpa’s supervision. I got a single shot 20 gauge at 7 years old, but did not get to hunt with it until I was 9 and had proven myself to him, that I could be safe with it. He made me carry it out in the field.....empty. It was a great plan because that way, there would be no accidents and he could watch and make sure I was being safe.

He taught me to reload shotgun shells and I did so by the hundreds for our weekly trap shooting and our duck and goose hunting trips. I was responsible for all ammo reloads by the time I was 15. I loved it. He taught me responsibility and was really hard on me when it came to safety. I’m glad he did that.

I always had unlimited access by the time I was 10 or so, but he always said, “You can’t afford even one accident with a gun. You or someone else could die.” The look on his face convinced me. Thank God for good men with guns, who teach others to be good men with guns.

I got a shotgun right around 8 or 9, a 20ga. Mossberg pump, a .22 Marlin 60 around that time too, and for some reason, a Red Ryder bb gun later for Christmas? It was a POS and was replaced a few months later with a cheap but very powerful and effective Chinese break action pellet rifle. It just grew from there.

But I only took the pellet rifle out daily, I didn't touch the firearms without reason. Hell, sometimes I took that pellet rifle instead of the .22 hunting, it was that good.

The only kids that had problems with firearms growing up were the ones that weren't taught to appreciate and respect them. The ones that were kept far away from real firearms, yet allowed to play with toys and video games involving firearms. It's rare they grow into it on their own appreciating it properly. This ranged from shooting bb guns at each other to one friend shooting himself in the temple with a cheap Raven .25 auto, "just fucking around", blind for life and now dead because he couldn't escape a house fire fast enough 2 years back. All the kids that had firearms, went hunting or shooting, none of them wound up doing dumb shit with weapons.

... He made me carry it out in the field.....empty. It was a great plan because that way, there would be no accidents and he could watch and make sure I was being safe. ...

Same here and I do that with my kids. I've noticed a kid that handles a rifle well at a range can muzzle sweep the hell out of you when walking through the woods. Part of their attention is to where they're putting their foot or the briar they have to gently move to the side. They'll notice when they screw up and get better. Very good practice IMO.

Guns were in my fathers reloading room, his closet, bed side and the safe. I could hold see anytime as long as I asked my father.
Only ever tested him once, when I showed a few friend a pistol in his night stand. Mom walked in and caught us. I still have the
memory of that ass whoop'n burned into my psyche. My father passed when I was 16 and the guns became mine. My mother let me do
what I wanted. but by that time I had more experience with guns and gun safety than a lot of grown men today.
with my kids now I am the same way. safety always and never touch without me. most guns are locked away but a few are in the night stand and the reloading room.;)

Reactions: j-huskey and Dpp
Growing up there were 3 shotguns and a 22 rifle sitting on the high shelf in my closet. Oh and the ammo and cleaning supplies were also there. Years later when we finally got a safe I had the combination.

After getting married I found out my father in law kept a dozen rifles and some pistols in a closet. My wife and her sister knew they were there.

Somehow despite all of this access none of us went on a killing spree. Perhaps it’s not gun access but raising your kids as decent human beings. Sarcasm off.

I'm middle school I had a .22 and a Remington 1100 in my bedroom, they belonged to my grandfather and were given to me when he passed

I voted unlimited access and am still here 47 years later. That said, it was a really stupid thing to do then and now.

Kids can be taught, and can be trusted to do the right thing 98% of the time, it's that 2% that can really mess up a life. It's just scientific fact that the adolescent brain has not developed to the point where good judgement is a given.

Interesting perspective. You grew up one way and chose a different way for your family. It seems to me that most people handle firearms access the same way it was handled when they were growing up. Someone that grew up in a home with a couple of rifles and a shotgun in their bedroom are surprised when someone else won't allow that. Someone that grew up with firearms locked up is surprised (some shocked!) when someone's 10 yo has a rifle that he can carry around and shoot when he wants. Rational arguments can be made either way.

Everyone's got to decide what they believe is right for their own family.

@WNC Seabee And I will say my parents plan for keeping me from flying through the windshield was to hold their arm in front of it... :-D So sometimes there is a better way.

My dad started me shooting at 5 with occasional supported by dad trap. At 6 I started one of the NRA kids programs on Saturday mornings with the world’s heaviest .22 rifles and ammo at 50 cents a box. Once I had the basics down I was shown where the shotgun was in the closet and which boot the ammo was in. By the time I was probably 9, dad showed me where the loaded revolver was tucked under each side of their bed. Prior to that it was known where that stuff was (and that stuff was unloaded), but we’d have our fingers broken if we messed with it. Dad got a gun safe when I was probably 10 and I was forced to memorize the combination and timed on practicing to open it. At 13 I moved to a room on the opposite end of the house and was issues a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag to keep in my nightstand. Knowledge on how to use a firearm is the right way to go, but I agree on restricted access for families now because you never know what some fucktard friend of your kid is going to do.

I believe that basic gun safety should be taught in school starting at Kindergarten. I know the liberal teachers would rather indoctrinate that guns are bad, but many kids could be saved by avoiding accidents when they come across a gun someone was hiding from them. Even if the K-3 training was “don’t touch it and tell an adult”, 4-6 was some basics on how to make a weapon safe by unloading it, and 7+ was the basic uses of safe gun handling. Instead the indoctrination is real. My CA educated niece at about age 13 spouted off “only criminals have guns” during a family lunch. My response was that Aunt Julie and I were gun owners and not criminals, my wife raised up her purse and pointed at it, indicating the pistol inside. To her dad’s credit (non gun owner) he corrected her and reminded her that her uncle she spent lots of time with was also a gun enthusiast. Her dad isn’t anti and her mom grew up on a ranch shooting regularly, so that shit had to come from the schools. She is now 15 and they moved from Los Angeles to Dallas, so I haven’t had a chance to get her to the range, but her sister is starting school in AZ this fall so there’s hope.

Interesting perspective. You grew up one way and chose a different way for your family. It seems to me that most people handle firearms access the same way it was handled when they were growing up. Someone that grew up in a home with a couple of rifles and a shotgun in their bedroom are surprised when someone else won't allow that. Someone that grew up with firearms locked up is surprised (some shocked!) when someone's 10 yo has a rifle that he can carry around and shoot when he wants. Rational arguments can be made either way.

Unfortunately the firearm environment I grew up with has changed in our state. We’ve had 2 break ins over the years where guns were taken. You can’t count on your children’s friends having any firearm exposure or safety training. And kids carrying anything looking like a firearm in public will trigger a SWAT response.

Despite growing up with free access to firearms, when I bought a house I also bought a safe. I taught my son how to handle firearms and told him we could shoot anything he wanted whenever he wanted. That was my compromise to the current environment. It may be different in other areas.

when we were really young my father would never bring ammo home for something we could get our hands on.
buy at the range, shoot it all then come home and help clean (or get yelled at)
he had a small safe for some ball ammo he grabbed from the NG for his 30-06, pistol, SS card and dog tags.

No guns in the household so to speak. I did have some BB guns that sat in my closet that I had unlimited access to. Got bored of those when I found motorcycles. Parents didn't hunt, so guns were not a part of our lives. No real discussion for or against. As I grew older and my parents divorced, my mother remarried an ex AF officer who had a vintage WWII Japanese bolt action that floated around for awhile after I found it. Sat in my closet for awhile until he found it missing and put it back. I was a teen about that time.

I DO remember getting one of those toy rifles that shot a cork attached to a string. As soon as it was given to me I was given the guns are not toys speech and specific instructions not to point and shoot it at anyone and to not remove the string. First thing I did was cut the string and shoot my cousin. They took the rifle and I NEVER saw it again. It was YEARS before my grandfather bought me my fist BB gun.

I did give my dad a shotgun a few years ago so he had something for self defense. They live in the sticks and don't lock doors etc.

My father had the tutelage of "if he ain't beatin', then you ain't learnin', " and believe me that life sucked. He also was 'real smart' in the fact of security and whatnot. All his rifles and shotguns were in his closet 'around the corner where no-one will ever look'. He also purchased a nice wooden gun-rack, but mounted it above the shelf in his closet, where 'no-one will ever look'.

There was no freedom in that house, or in that life. There was a fair amount of rebellion/challenge though, I'll tell you that. With my own developmental process as well as actual yearning for knowledge, I would explore and investigate when I was a kid. Yes, I knew where the ammunition was, and yes, I knew that if there was no ammunition involved then nothing could happen. And yes, I learned real quick how to tell/verify that there was no ammunition in the firearm.

It was the 'getting away with it without notice' that I appreciated the most. Not the 'doing of it'. Rebelling/Resisting....

But believe me when I say, that 'our household' was NOT your normal household. I don't recommend that at all, for anyone. To this day, my father still thinks that he's the smartest man on the face of the earth. I haven't seen him since '05.

Forgot to add, that I had my own pellet rifle at the age of 10, and my own Cooey model 600 .22 at the age of 12. They stayed on my own 'rifle rack' on the wall in my room.

I would strongly argue that "inaccessible" and "taboo" do NOT need to synonymous.

My kids are around guns every day...they help me reload, they hang out and help me clean them or just fondle "their" rifles. But, when we're done, the shop door gets locked.
I agree.

You have to know your kids. Some kids at 10 years old are more responsible than many adults. Others aren’t. A lot has to do with how they are raised. My kids are yes sir and no sir kids everytime. They will hold the door open for you everytime. They will help you do something without you having to ask. Straight “A” in school kids. Make children responsible for their actions early on. It makes a difference.

I will add that my oldest will always ask before he grabs anything larger than a pellet gun.

And yeah, I'm the one who voted for dope smoking hippy parents just to be an ass. :D

mine weren’t dope smoking but wouldn’t even let a BB gun in the house... so I joined the infantry.

Now, decades later, I’ve built my dad an AR-10 and he carries a Glock all the time.

?

always knew where they were never liked the idea of hiding something would have rather had them proudly displayed on the walls get rid of some furniture and add more racks lol a house of 1/2 wall racks in every room is far nicer to look at than some crappy old couch or dusty pile of books that no one wants . 3 reloading stations oh Santa I promise to be a good boy for another dillion reloading press .

Let me add that our 'free access' to everything was not without consequence. Dad was, and still is, an avid black powder guy. Later '70s-early 80's we probably had 50# of the holy black on hand at any given time.

My brother and I did all sorts of stupid ship with that stuff that could easily have turned out bad. The worse was when he took an orange juice concentrate thingy (cardboard 'can') and filled it with FFFg. Wrapped it up with a couple layers of duct tape, inserted a home made fuse...and lit it about 3 feet from his face. yada yada yada....3rd degree burns....I set the lawn mower on fire to cover for him...15 years later dad found out...

Had .22 in room as early as I can remember. So did all my friends.

I can't ever remember having to ask permission to shoot or hunt or go out. In fact, summers as a kid, we were sort of expected to go out all day and be... elsewhere. Catching frogs in the frog pond. Playing in our forts. Playing army. Shooting. In fall, hunting (when it was not school). I think the only time I remember being allowed to be 'inside' and doing nothing was Saturday morning cartoons. And most of my friends went to Church on Sunday mornings (we didn't) so it was ok to wait until they were done before heading off on our bikes, on foot or on horses (grew up on a horse farm.) Later on motorcycles.

It was an interesting and great time to be a kid. And we learned to be independent, fix things, deal with the woods. Hunt. Fish. Fix our motorcycles.

Funny story, though... there were guns that were "Hands Off"... pistols and some 'nice' guns. One of my friends got his nickname 'Hunter" when he took his dad's very, very expensive Charles Daly shotgun bird hunting. Which he was verboten from doing. And sure enough, he tripped, drove the barrels into the dirt and 'blam...' like something from Daffy Duck. Oh was he in trouble....

He is still known as "Hunter" That is now 40 years later.

Cheers,

Sirhr

There were no gun safes when I was a kid. I had a gun rack on the wall. Friends had decorative gun cases with glass and lights, that’s it. My mom concealed carried WAY before it was legal, and the police knew it. My stepdad open carried everywhere. I was most impressed when I saw him walk into a bank open carrying, with no problem. I had my own reloading setup in my bedroom when I was 16. I was an NRA life member at 16. My best friends dad was a gunsmith all his life. When we were kids, a buddy and me played commando with our 22s, running or crawling from tree to tree, shooting plastic army men against a berm.

We had guns available.
I haven’t killed anybody yet.

Edit to add: My best friend in fifth grade was killed when he was over at another friends house, and they decided to look at his father’s pistol. It slipped off the edge of the bed, my friend reached for it, it discharged, and hit my friend in the upper chest, killing him. Kids will sneak and play with guns if they are hidden away, and kept mysterious. Educate your kids. I did mine.

Last edited:
My uncle was a gun nut, had his FFL for awhile in upstate NY, and his 'safe' was a wood with a glass front cabinet. And I built a gun rack in jr. high shop class for my room. Think I put my Daisy BB gun in it. ?

My dads guns were in his closet, his trick was to hide the ammo really well. I always had access tot the closet, but never really cared to mess with the guns by myself.

Between my dad, grandparents, and uncle I had plenty of people that would take me shooting, so when I was younger there was no mystery there was no ooooh you shouldn't touch that type of nonsense. It was time to shoot it was time to shoot, when it wasn't it wasn't. You also didn't see me using a fishing pole when it wasn't fishing time, same sort of idea with guns.

I did not grow up in a rural area either, so we literally had to drive an hour or go visit grandparents 3 hours away to be able to shoot.

I also had a bb gun at age 10, then my first 22 at age 14 and shotgun at age 16, on my 21st birthday I bought my first glock 9mm

22 single shot Winchester 67 with shorts at 5.
Same 22 with long rifle at 6. Hunting with Mom or Dad at 6. Killed one squirrel with mom. Had to clean it and eat it.

Free access by age 8. I read the post above where kids arent developed enough to be that trusted. Maybe, just maybe.

In other posts I've told Ft. Benning was pops last duty station. At 8, I'd thrown a live hand grenade.... fired a belt fed Browning 1919. Under some serious supervision..... fired 1911's, and at 9, went off the jump tower.

Had 8 veteran uncles, 5 WW2, 3 Korea. They made it plain if I f'd up with a gun, they would f me up. I knew enough to be afraid, to fear, them, pop, pops buddy's at jump school and ranger school.
Was real simple, do not f up with a gun. Or pay a major price. At 8 I had killed every legal game animal we could kill. At 8 pop made me put down a dog and a sick cow. With a shotgun. I saw brains splatter. Pop and his buddies looked at me and said if I f'd up with a gun, that brain splatter could be me. And repeated "Do not f up with a gun, cause if it doesnt kill you, we will..."
Yes SIRS !!!!!
Reading the posts where some of yall wer taught NRA safety rules or dont point a gun at anything you arent going to kill, yes, I got all that, and ft. Benning range rules too.

I was brainwashed by them. Safety first and always, dont miss, and dont shoot anything that doesnt need shooting, and dont waste ammo, and "GD boy, dont waste a life".

At 12 I shot a m16, a m60, a m2 50, and did a tandem jump. Peed all over pops buddy too.

I thought that was normal. Raised mine the same way, and half raised grandchildren the same way.
It's not that way with the 7 n 8 year olds around here now though. They do believe I will hold them down in the bath tub until the bubbles stop if they so much as touch a gun without permission.

And some of you that haunt "what's your view" see the children with deer and hog pics posted. We are doing something right here. Our kids mind us, mostly out of respect, some out of fear, but when it comes to guns, they know there is zero tolerance for a f up.
They are taught early about dead people, dead animals, and good dead and bad dead.

Works for us. And I well know our way isnt well liked by a bunch around us, school especially. But, f them.... we will continue our way of life until we die of whatever.

I like this topic posting and reading some of your responses, it let's me know some of you better, and maybe respect a few a bit more.

Last edited:
I grew up hunting from a young age. I had full access to any and all firearms in the house. I had 2 shotguns(.410 & 20 ga), a 22lr, 30-30, 30-06 and a 54 cal muzzleloader by age 12. Still have them all except I have given the .410 and 20 ga single shots to my granddaughter.

Learned to shoot at age 4, first pistol when I was eight, had my 10-22 and pistol in my room when I was 10 for the purpose of squirrel eradication duties, think I got a safe in my room when I was 11 or twelve and had had half a dozen or so of “my own” guns by that time.

So far my boy is on a similar timeline. Girls all know how to shoot and have their own rifles but none keep them in their rooms. Second youngest did as when she was going to be able to practice whenever she wanted just this morning. She’d probably be fine but gonna give it a bit longer.

@j-huskey

You Sir, are how all American boys should be raised!

That's what my parents, grandparents, and 8 uncles thought too. And they did it.

If any of them were still alive today, they would vomit at the bullshit going on now. Couple would probably be in prison or dead over some of it.

Reactions: MtnCreek
Red Ryder at 7. H&R .410 at 9 cause "Rifles is danjerse boy. A twentoo was farred in Selma, and it hit a little gurl in Micro."
I did get a 22 by 12yr old, and a centerfire deer rifle on my 13th birthday. I didn't know we was Jewish but daddy said I was becoming a man.

The Red Ryder was a test run. I knew not to mess with daddy's guns unless told to. At 9 I was in the woods every day after school in squirrel season or rabbit season, and thus it continued.
First deer was at 12 with daddy's Supermatic High Standard shotgun. Now that I'm walking down memory lane, I reckon he figured I was man enough for a rifle if I could put 3 loads of Magnum buckshot in a deer in front of beagles.

I wasn't man enough for my first deer rifle though. Even after a deacon at church taught me how to handload reduced loads for it, the 7mag was too much. All I knew was I wanted a Remington 700, and that's what the advertisement in every magazine showed, a close-up of the barrel "7mm Rem. Mag." "Before you buy a rifle, read the fine print."
Yes indeed, double entendre. Only thing my folks knew about rifles was, "they's danjerse!"
After a year of failure, the deacon and my uncle( my rifle mentors) told my folks if they didn't get rid of that thing and get me a rifle I could shoot, I'd be ruined. By 14 I had a .243, at 50 I've just about learned how to shoot a rifle.

I had a firm grasp of what death looked like, as I'd gone to hog killings at the age of 5 on.....they wouldn't let me be the trigger man for a long time either.
I was told all the tragedy stories, about the brothers that climbed the fence, the stray rifle ball ( what they called any projectile and all 22lr cartridges, "some them 22 short rifle balls")
I knew screwing up meant the end of my freedom.
It sure worked good when kids knew there was a higher power.

Now seatbelts....hell nobody needed seatbelts. "Stuff that damn thing back down in that seat, somebody lible to get hurt with that thing if we wreck!"

Hunting with BB gun at 6! Graduated to pellet rifle at seven killing squirrels dove rabbits and birds. Got 20 gauge 870 on my 9 th birthday. Started dove, duck and quail hunting! My dad was only a wing shooter and fisherman so I mainly shot shotguns, 22 rifles until I was 17. Then started with 7 mm rem mag with Tasco scope! Also got into crossbows and bow and arrow about same time. Didn’t get started in the high dollar stuff until around 2011 when you assholes got me addicted?? when I was a kid, if I wasn’t playing ball, I pretty much had a gun in my hand!

I voted limited access

Once I was old enough I could grab the 22 any time, didn't have to ask. Shotguns and center fire had to ask till I was about 14 I would grab what ever I needed and headed out at that point.

Definitely a different culture now. I have a 7 and 11 y/o both shoot, but everything is secure. I know they are responsible if
one was out, but between friends coming over, and just risk I prefer to keep them restricted access.

Oh, just needed to add...
My first "game console" was a super Nintendo. I was 20 years old.
I was grown when I bought my first VCR.
My folks would buy me guns, traps, ammo, motorcycles, and I worked like a sled dog.
They never would buy me video games, or video players.
Take it for what it's worth, I think my folks were pretty smart. Or maybe they were trying to kill me.
Today we lock up guns and give them free access to the internet.
But I'm sure that's better than how we were raised.

My kids have their red riders. They were told if they screwed around they'd get shot in the ass as a reminder. Haven't needed to follow through on it yet.

I keep guns in the house and garage. Ammo boxed up, loaded mags are on the top shelf.

They know they will never get a chance to screw up a second time. They know I'll follow through on punishment I've layed out and the destructive power of even a .22.

They also know all they need to do is ask and they get to go to the range since it's a whole 10 minutes away.

They always ask before they touch, and I've had them shooting ar's, bolt guns, and lever guns.
My 10 yr. old is quite proud of his Bergara in 6.5, but he insists on using my can, so it looks like I need a few more.

Never an issue with them messing around, and they know damn well not to tell their friends. People in town know I have guns, but I've let them know they won't have friends if they're going around trying to show off.

My dad was a cop when I was young. There was always a loaded pistol somewhere. They were not to be touched. There was always a loaded shotgun in the hall closet and it was not to be touched. At around 12 I had a 20 ga singleshot and a bolt action 22 that was as long as me. If I was stupid w/ them, they’d have been taken away. Was attending (helper) high power, bullseye and ppc matches with my dad (so that he could go) before I could ride a bike. Duck hunting when my brother was a baby, puts it around 7. Last year he was shooting 38 wadcutters that I loaded and I left in 94. He would have us fill 5 gal buckets.

I had my own guns growing up, but I had more space to use them than my kids do at the moment. Now I lock my guns up but the teenager has a code to the safe. The lock is to slow somebody else down not to keep the kids out. They know which guns are off limits, unless it's an emergency then anything goes.

I fired my first rifle at four with the help of my dad and a fence rail. It was a .22 single shot bolt action rifle. It’s a good action to learn on. Fire it once and its empty and one does not waste ammo.

First hunt was around 4 or 5 years old. A Maine duck hunt on a river. Was with my Dad’s lifelong friends he grew up with who also brought their sons same age as me. Somewhere there is a picture of about 5-year-old me in my grandfather’s garage. I am kneeling next to a hanging 200lb Maine buck holding a double barrel 12 gage that was taller than me with a huge grin on my face. I remember having that picture taken and how I could not wait to go hunting with my dad with my own rifle when I got older, (the buck was my dad’s).

Knew where every firearm in the house was and the ammo. No safe for storage. Was taught how to handel them and make sure they were unloaded. They were a tool that had to be run right every time or people got hurt or worse. There was no mystery. They were not hidden away as “forbidden fruit”. This is how it is in my home now.

Grew up in Bakersfield, CA in the 1980's.. which seems like a completely different world than living in San Diego now. Had open access to the guns at home. Was taught about them before I even knew what they were. Was always fascinated by machines, so I'd take them apart and see how they worked pretty often. I remember going shooting around 8 years old and have always been careful around guns. I agree with the "teach them young" way of thinking.. but as a caveat, it's not for everyone. If the kid is just going to break the rules or is just lacks intelligence, keep em locked.

Last edited: