• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing West river SD deer

pd721el

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2008
Sioux Falls SD
Well my deer season didn't go as planned but i did harvest a nice little buck and got my 338 Edge bloody. I also saw a bunch of deer and yotes. Heres a pic of the one I harvested and one I let walk early in the hunt.
Picture780-1.jpg

Picture770.jpg

This deer was rutting hard, I interrupted him and his does. The does were up the draw about 40 yards from him. I mouth grunted him into about 60 yard 3 times before he walked away. Pretty cool.

Re: West river SD deer

Must have had whitetail only tags? What county were you in? And nice deer.

Very nice! What bullet are you running in that Edge? How did it perform?

No I had an any deer tag, but had seen 2 vary large Muley bucks prior to this one. I was holding out for one of them but it never happened. Plus e is standing in the bottom of a hole that would take a full day to get him out.
So I shot this one the last night of the hunt and the next morning while looking for a doe I find a huge 190+ whitetail on a couple of pastures we never hunt. I had him from 60 yards to 350 for about 30 minutes with no tag. I hunt Hawkon Co. and where we are at I rarely see whitetails so both of these were a surprise.
I was shooting the 250 accubond at 2950. Accuracy is real good in my gun. I would love to shoot the 300 SMK but I cant find a load it likes. It shots great with 300 Scenar's but I haven't heard of anyone shooting game with those. When I hit the buck at 250 yards, his front half turned side ways and he fell in his tracks. I shot a doe at a little over 300 and she didn't go down. Instead she ran around kicking for 30 seconds then fell. Direct hit in the chest and her lungs were completely destroyed. So she was dead, but didn't know it.

Nice pics...I would have shot the mulie but he'll be nicer next year.