• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing West Texas Aoudad hunt with the DMR-10!

miketx2002

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2004
We had a great Aoudad hunt this past Memorial day catching this nice big ram of the side of a hill top from about 450 yrds...1 round DRT using our DMR-10 308win with 22in barrel and 168SMKs. Enjoy.

audad01.jpg

Re: West Texas Aoudad hunt with the DMR-10!

+1 on where this was, I have been to a place in Mason that was not sporting. 450 seems like it would be more sporting than 15 yards.

What?? I thought SMK's cant kill anything above rabbit sized game.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on where this was, I have been to a place in Mason that was not sporting. 450 seems like it would be more sporting than 15 yards. </div></div> how was the lodge because they let you stay two days but I just shot my three from the $800-$1500 area and left that day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on where this was, I have been to a place in Mason that was not sporting. 450 seems like it would be more sporting than 15 yards. </div></div> how was the lodge because they let you stay two days but I just shot my three from the $800-$1500 area and left that day. </div></div>

LOL beats me we arrived at 1000 and left at 1300! Wife smoked a White goat at 225 and hit another one that doesnt make any sense. She was shooting from the 7 to 1 position but another goat went down about 40 yards away at the 10 position. I refused to shoot anything which made her cry since it was my coming home from Iraq present.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What?? I thought SMK's cant kill anything above rabbit sized game..... </div></div>

lol, i was gonna write the same thing, the proof seems to be in the pudding, nice shot and good kill

Outstanding!

What can did you use - Jet?

Hi,

We were hunting in the Davis mountains on private property...sorry no we don't guide.
smile.gif

I have killed more than a few rabbits with the SMK's...they work just fine in my rifle...hehehe.

Yes the suppressor is the newest 2010 model that just got released. It comes in at 15ounces and is alot quieter than the old one. It balances very well on the Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR-10) that we were testing. We are getting 2734fps with the 168's out of a 22" match grade barrel and 1/2 inch groups at a 100.

Here is a picture or a pig Cris shot with his 16" prototype DMR-10 also using the 168SMK's the same weekend with a night vision setup. Same thing 1 round DRT from about 150yrds.

dmrhog1a.jpg

Nice ram and rifle! What did he measure in at?

It would be nice if we could hunt them in the spring up here...
frown.gif

Mike,

Thanks for the info, I really wanted to try a Jet suppressor - I have heard some really good feed back from folks.

I'm surprised you got a new model Jet so soon, I've tried calling them over the past few years with out any luck - no one answers the phone or returns my messages.

I really really wanted the Warthog suppressor, oh well.

Again, awesome Ram & Pig!!!

Hi 468shot,

He measured in right at 30" and he was about 300lbs. I caped him out for a half body mount. Should mount up nicely. Some of the ones we saw this trip we couldn't shoot because they were on the side of a cliff and would have fallen a couple hundred feet if we shot them.
grin.gif
It was very pretty up there, but cold in the evenings.

AI Rick sent you a pm.

Good Job Mike & Chris...Looks like that DMR is working out just fine for hunting, BTW...Love it out there in Davis Mountains, the wife has some family out there, always good times, pretty country.

For you guys that have not seen one of these DMR rifles yet...they are a fine piece of craftsmanship that Mike and the guys over at Mike's Gun Sales build. I have seen Mike and Chris makes hits with them out to 1000yds. These guys build the DMR from the ground up, even machine thier own handguards.

Good Job!

Congrats on the hunt. I was hunting the same area just this past weekend!
We managed to get a tripple out of the same herd!
Those aoudad are addicting to hunt and I can wait to go out on our next hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on where this was, I have been to a place in Mason that was not sporting. 450 seems like it would be more sporting than 15 yards. </div></div> how was the lodge because they let you stay two days but I just shot my three from the $800-$1500 area and left that day. </div></div>

LOL beats me we arrived at 1000 and left at 1300! Wife smoked a White goat at 225 and hit another one that doesnt make any sense. She was shooting from the 7 to 1 position but another goat went down about 40 yards away at the 10 position. I refused to shoot anything which made her cry since it was my coming home from Iraq present. </div></div> My youngest son was taking his shot and it turned from broadside to facing us. His shot entered the temple the force popped out the right eye entered the skull kept trucking and exited the left eye ball. Needless to say he was pretty messed up.