• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Westboro Church/Scot Simon's answer

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Ive watched and participated in the various threads about this topic. I just heard this on PBS and thought that it sums it about as well as Ive heard.

Simon Says
    by Scott Simon
    Westboro Case Strengthens Free Speech Rights For All
    by Scott Simon

March 5, 2011

It would be nice if protecting free speech always meant defending the right of people to read Ulysses, Lolita, or Tom Sawyer. The case that the U.S. Supreme Court took on this week involves much less artful or inspiring words.

In a nearly unanimous decision, the court upheld the right of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., to picket funerals. The church's small membership believes that almost any death short of old age is God's punishment for the United States' tolerance of gays. They chant, sing, and hold up signs that say, "You're Going to Hell," and other epithets.

Church members appeared near the funeral of Elizabeth Edwards last year, and that of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green, who was killed in January's Tucson shootings.

They have also picketed the funerals of fallen soldiers, including the 2006 services for 20-year-old Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder in Westminster, Md., who was killed in Iraq.

Albert Snyder, Cpl. Snyder's father, sued for damages, saying church members had turned his son's funeral into "a circus."

Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the 8-1 majority, noted that the protesters were on public grounds a thousand feet away.

"Such speech cannot be restricted," he said, "simply because it is upsetting or arouses contempt."

In the lone dissent, Justice Samuel Alito said, "Albert Snyder is not a public figure. He is simply a parent whose son ... was killed in Iraq. Mr. Snyder wanted what is surely the right of any parent who experiences such an incalculable loss: to bury his son in peace."

Albert Snyder reacted to the court decision by telling reporters, "My first thought was eight justices don't have the common sense God gave a goat."

Maybe every generation needs a case to learn that the First Amendment is tested and grows stronger when it defends speech that's unpopular, even reprehensible.

In 1979, American Nazi Party members wanted to march in the streets of Skokie, Ill., a Chicago suburb in which a number of Holocaust survivors lived. Skokie said such a march would be an assault on people who had already survived Nazi death camps.

The Illinois Supreme Court ultimately ruled that the march could proceed. But after winning the right to assemble in Skokie, the Nazis decided instead to march through Marquette Park, near their headquarters on the city's southwest side.

That small, squalid group of puffed-up buffoons wearing swastikas and spewing hate had the whatever-it-was—I refuse to say sensitivity or intelligence—not to march where their monstrous message would be most personal.

That's a low standard to meet. But maybe members of the Westboro Baptist Church are up to it.

Re: Westboro Church/Scot Simon's answer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a low standard to meet. But maybe members of the Westboro Baptist Church are up to it.</div></div>

Uh, no they aren't and Scott Simon is a NPR hack who has equated the fucks at WBC to republicans. He is an asshole as well.

As to the subject matter, they are greedy attention and lawsuit whores. Only full frontal drowning out of their obnoxiousness will drive them away. There are never more than a few of them at any given "Appearance" and it is clear they are trying to lure people into violence or some civil infringement.

At minimum, they extort publicity such as that offered by Mike Gallagher, (a conservative talk radio host who'd sell crack if the manufacturer advertised on his crappy show), which he regularly portrays as a grand gesture he provided to prevent the Westboro assholes from disrupting a funeral. Then he did it again. Interesting that they now threaten to disrupt more and more funerals unless they get airtime.

I wonder how Gallagher would react to our leader making deals with terrorists? Rhetorical question. He would vilify any such action by a liberal.

Clearly, Gallagher benefits from having these assholes on his air, much like Jerry Springer profits from his exploitation of the human train wrecks on his show.

Westboro can be stopped everywhere they go by the free exercise of our free speech.

Disclosure:

<<<<<< is a huge fan of talk radio but knows a exploitative whore when he sees one!

Thats weak, QQ. Iwould haveexpected better from you. Or mabey not.

Sorry, Hombre de Oro, forgot how much you love Jerry! Did you know that douchebag is a 5 handicap???

Scummy TV allows plenty of time to work on you golf game I guess!

I hear Maury Povich is a good player too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, Hombre de Oro, forgot how much you love Jerry! Did you know that douchebag is a 5 handicap???

Scummy TV allows plenty of time to work on you golf game I guess!

I hear Maury Povich is a good player too! </div></div>

sober up.

I believe that we need to be a barrier against the westboro church and amp it up even greater. Yeah, there is a part of me that would like to wipe them off the planet but in the end that would not end well.
    My father joins in on the motorcycle groups that form a barrier that prevents the westboro church from getting as close as they wanted to.
    I think we could come up with ways to make their "free speech" very uncomfortable...Like:
    *Throwing eggs at them until they were miserable and decided that their cause was not worth the anguish.
    *Having the fire department schedule a training day at the same place that the westboro would protest.. Have some full tanker trucks and have the teams hit them with 2- 1/2" hoses. Trust me, they will forget why they bothered to show up.
    We can't do things that would harm them or we could end up in hot water ( I know,...Darn!)
    But I bet we can express our "free speech" with an uncomfortable twist.
    ....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so they have the right to picket, no big. We have the right to do what we do as well, and if they get hurt in the process, oh well, comes with the turf</div></div>
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that we need to be a barrier against the westboro church and amp it up even greater. Yeah, there is a part of me that would like to wipe them off the planet but in the end that would not end well.
    My father joins in on the motorcycle groups that form a barrier that prevents the westboro church from getting as close as they wanted to.

I think we could come up with ways to make their "free speech" very uncomfortable...Like:
    *Throwing eggs at them until they were miserable and decided that their cause was not worth the anguish.
    *Having the fire department schedule a training day at the same place that the westboro would protest.. Have some full tanker trucks and have the teams hit them with 2- 1/2" hoses. Trust me, they will forget why they bothered to show up.
    We can't do things that would harm them or we could end up in hot water ( I know,...Darn!)
    But I bet we can express our "free speech" with an uncomfortable twist.
    ....SmokeRolls </div></div>

I think throwing eggs would be considered assault though Id ripen a few for the occasion. Same with the FD.

Resorting to violence only makes you worse than them and criminally liable. The trick is to do it by outwitting them. If you could get a large enough groupe of dedicated men you could fake joining the protest, surround them and slowly inch the group away from the area.....If they resort to violence ....well then
    mad.gif

As much as I despise those evil retards from Westboro, the threat of chipping away at freedom of speech is the same as chipping away at the 2nd Amendment.Where does it stop if we start making concessions for some and not others? I think a huge vigil should be held outside their stupid little poky church and have 1000s of people standing there with candles praying for their worthless souls. There is no way they could talk their way around that.....or just drop a daisycutter on one of their family outings.

You either respect the Constitution and Amendments or you don't. The worst insult to the fallen would be to degrade the very freedoms they died defending.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You either respect the Constitution and Amendments or you don't. The worst insult to the fallen would be to degrade the very freedoms they died defending.</div></div>
    Sometimes these conundrums present themselves, I only wish people would have respect and decency even though they have the freedom to protest.
    The same can be said about freedom of religion, we can have many different types of religions in this country and many are peaceful and then we can have some that are not peaceful and wish to kill others and yet we call that that freedom of expression and free speech.... A darned conundrum.
    You are right but this causes situations that are sticky and compromising... Sad to say.
    ....SmokeRolls

The interesting part about this is upholding rights while infringing upon others. They have the right to protest. The parents have a right to bury their children in peace. How often the victims rights are compromised for the rights the people who want to give their oppinions. Perhaps Scott Simon- westboro- could take a trip to the middle east and see for themselves. The fine line is where do you draw the line for one persons rights as they infringe on others.

Rthur

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You either respect the Constitution and Amendments or you don't. The worst insult to the fallen would be to degrade the very freedoms they died defending.</div></div>
    Sometimes these conundrums present themselves, I only wish people would have respect and decency even though they have the freedom to protest.
    The same can be said about freedom of religion, we can have many different types of religions in this country and many are peaceful and then we can have some that are not peaceful and wish to kill others and yet we call that that freedom of expression and free speech.... A darned conundrum.
    You are right but this causes situations that are sticky and compromising... Sad to say.
    ....SmokeRolls </div></div>

I don't see it really as a conundrum because the amendment is pretty clear. However, what I do see is a failure in the legislative process and common sense. The Westboro loons have the right to protest, why though, are they allowed to be as close as 1,000ft of the funeral? If burials are allowed to be protested then the protesting should be in a designated area and that area does not have to be within ear shot of the funeral attendees. You have a right to protest, but not a right to insist that you are heard by the people you are protesting - physically. If any legislation is going to work against these people, I'd guess this would be it.

They a are a bunch of idiot's.But that is their right to be so.Who's to say their tire's can't be flat,or their cars be on fire when they get ready go back to their so called church?There has to be a way to keep these idiot's away from those who gave all to serve their country.