• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Westchester Trading Post 1903 rear sight micrometer

Calfed

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
I recently was perusing an auction and found several interesting items, including this gem. It is a 1903 Springfield rear sight micrometer, similar to the PJ O'hare tool, used to set the rear sight more precisely.

This one was sold by the Westchester Trading Post. Apparently, back in the day, the Westchester Trading Post was a well known fixture in target shooting circles and their products were well thought of. The Westchester Trading Post sight micrometer was manufactured by L.S. Starret compnay, the well known precision measuring tool company.

https://pronematch.com/the-westchester-trading-post/

oSJRzkq.jpg
vHM4UG4.jpg
BTSheNt.jpg
07fWCdh.jpg

That looks like a peach!

The fact it was made by Starett local to me makes it really interesting.

You can not run an 03 on a target range without one of these.

I have two based on the PJ Ohare. One original US marked (left) and the other a Creedmoor new built (right).

4013CE1E-57B5-410A-9BD3-57A6A6D235F6.jpeg

494AE271-31A1-4365-8724-ECF259D9B68A.jpeg

B098A24D-64CC-4AE2-8EE6-846742DE29F3.jpeg

In case someone does not know how they are used.

B6E6E266-DFEB-4A99-9127-DD0810F14BDD.jpeg

That looks like a peach!

The fact it was made by Starett local to me makes it really interesting.

You can not run an 03 on a target range without one of these.

I have two based on the PJ Ohare. One original US marked (left) and the other a Creedmoor new built (right).

View attachment 8416651

View attachment 8416652

View attachment 8416653

In case someone does not know how they are used.

View attachment 8416654
Augusta’s McCray didn’t have one when he shot that bandit in the stomach with his 44-40 Henry

I've also got a Ray Vin sight micrometer that is very similar to the PJ O'Hare

Ray Vin made good stuff and he was awesome to the shooter community.

Creedmoor marketed their micrometer as the "Ray Vin" although he had retired by that point.

The first one Creedmoor sent me was machined wrong. There was no "step" at the top of the body to "hang" on the top of the ladder.

When I got it I was unfamiliar with its use and trying to do so I was thinking something is not right. Ray Vin was still accessible on the internet and he told me what was wrong and had me send it back to Creedmoor.

There is a man in Australia that is making the "Super Smoker" still. I bought one of those but shoot so infrequently now I have not had much chance to try it out.