• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Western CO and Southern Utah, Are the parks open?

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
My wife and I are supposed to be leaving to CO next week to hike some in western CO, Arches and Canyonland national parks in Utah. I'm getting conflicting reports on if the parks are actually open and accessible.

Anyone from around Grand Junction know if the trails and national parks are open? What about anyplace to eat? We Air BNB so we can cook, but it would be nice to be able to go out or even grab takeout.

Thanks,

Chris

Zion isn't open unless it opened like today or something.

But if you're going through St George, I can hook you up with the Air BNB house across the street from me that is like 12k sq ft with a complete indoor basketball court.

Arches etc around Moab closed as well as dispersed camping. Trails around GJ open but the Monument is officially closed. Oh, and it's getting hot.

Reactions: FatBoy
Great. (Sarcastic)

A lot of confusing info out there so I'm glad to have real feedback. If the Goddamn plane takes off we're going. I may have to eat prednisone like tic tacs to walk but I have to get to the mountains... Will be weird going in without a pack (or gun). I'm sure there will be enough local trailheads, etc to keep us busy.

Thanks, Guys.

BTW, 12k sq ft.? I really am a poor....

• Haha
Reactions: Redmanss
In Colorado, National Park, State Park, BLM, and National Forest campgrounds all closed. You can do dispersed camping in BLM and National Forest land. FYI, about a month ago, USFS (Rocky Mountain Region) established a Fire Ban. No open flames, no smoking, no campfires, no camp stoves, no grills on Federal Property.

My wife has been watching All Trails updates and it seems like people are hiking. They are posting current pics, etc. Not sure if they're just saying fuck it, or if pockets are opening?

Oh, as far as places to eat, thoughout Colorado, all restaurants can only serve drive-thru, carry-out or take-out, no dining in/outside the restaurant.

I think the only places officially closed to entrance are the National Parks. State Parks are still open to fishing and hiking, but the visitor centers, offices, concessions, etc. are all closed to the public.

There is at least one county in central CO that has banned all non-residents, ordered those that were there out of the county and will arrest those that are found there...

It's Clear Creek County, and the issue is, they are a small County, and don't have much in resources. The banning of non-residents was a result of some idiot from the Big City going into a remote area to Snowboard, and breaking a leg or hip. They had a very difficult time getting in to rescue him, while also trying to deal with all the precautions with the virus.

My solution I told a friend who lives there, instead of closing the County, put up signs that say We Will Not Provide Rescue or Medical Services to Non-residents, but he said then the lawyers would get involved if Poor Johnny got injured and died because of his stupidity.

Has anyone here done a UTV rental or tour around MOAB? Thinking of doing one while were out since my back is so fucked up right now. If so, can you recommend one of the companies?

It's Clear Creek County, and the issue is, they are a small County, and don't have much in resources. The banning of non-residents was a result of some idiot from the Big City going into a remote area to Snowboard, and breaking a leg or hip. They had a very difficult time getting in to rescue him, while also trying to deal with all the precautions with the virus.

My solution I told a friend who lives there, instead of closing the County, put up signs that say We Will Not Provide Rescue or Medical Services to Non-residents, but he said then the lawyers would get involved if Poor Johnny got injured and died because of his stupidity.

Gunnison County and Gilpin County are also closed to non-residents. Park County was considering it but I never heard if they went through with it.

Moab was open for business today., though it was deserted for the most part. The national parks were closed so we rented a Razr and ran Fins N Things a couple times as well as Hell's Revenge. Ate a Zacks, Moab Brewery and finished it off at the Broken Oar. Hopefully shit gets back to normal, itz a neat place to visit . Running public land is basiclly unheard of in TN .

Yes, the Oar Burger was that good... that's bacon and pastrami piled on there :)

20200513_192237.jpg

Only thing I don't like about coming to CO/Utah is I get bad stuffed up nose and the occasional nose bleed. Goddamn its dry out here..

Reactions: atomic41
Moab was open for business today., though it was deserted for the most part. The national parks were closed so we rented a Razr and ran Fins N Things a couple times as well as Hell's Revenge. Ate a Zacks, Moab Brewery and finished it off at the Broken Oar. Hopefully shit gets back to normal, itz a neat place to visit . Running public land is basiclly unheard of in TN .

Yes, the Oar Burger was that good... that's bacon and pastrami piled on there :)

View attachment 7325592

Only thing I don't like about coming to CO/Utah is I get bad stuffed up nose and the occasional nose bleed. Goddamn its dry out here..

Pastrami and bacon on burgers is common in Utah... Shoulda ate at the sunset grill or Miltz but the Moab diner ain't bad

Reactions: Thorny
We're going to hike local today. I'll see if they have signs up.

This is my favorite time of year to go there, before the crowds start piling in. I'll bet this year is especially low head count. If crowds are low, go to Arches and Canyonlands. Pro-tip, get in as soon as the park opens in the morning be first in line or you might be fighting herds of zombies and waiting in a long line just to grab a photo.

Both Arches and Canyonland are closed. Iooks like maybe we'll plan a fall trip:)

The air BnB works for me. I spent enough time sleeping on the ground. They have three alpacas, two are prego and due this week. Wonder if I can get one in my carry on? Nursing would probably be a bitch 😏

This is my favorite time of year to go there, before the crowds start piling in. I'll bet this year is especially low head count. If crowds are low, go to Arches and Canyonlands. Pro-tip, get in as soon as the park opens in the morning be first in line or you might be fighting herds of zombies and waiting in a long line just to grab a photo.

Tis the opposite right now. Super busy due to everyone being on "vacation" and have nothing to do. At least one county is complete shut down to outsiders and Wyoming won't allow out of state plates to use their State parks.

Reactions: Foul Mike
Tis the opposite right now. Super busy due to everyone being on "vacation" and have nothing to do. At least one county is complete shut down to outsiders and Wyoming won't allow out of state plates to use their State parks.

Dang...

I bet a lot of trails in CO are packed like standing in line at Walmart.

Did Mt. Garfield today. Wasn't too busy. Maybe a dozen people. Pretty good hike, though not the best marked. 2000' of climb in 1.8 miles. We saw two wild horses and a couple big Horn sheep on trail today. Don't see that shit in Asheville .

Did Mt. Garfield today. Wasn't too busy. Maybe a dozen people. Pretty good hike, though not the best marked. 2000' of climb in 1.8 miles. We saw two wild horses and a couple big Horn sheep on trail today. Don't see that shit in Asheville .
Garfield is a fun little hike this time of year before it gets too hot.

Yup. Was about 70° when we started about 1000. Had lunch up top and finished up about 1400, maybe 80° rolling out but the sun was getting intense. Then drove the Colorado National Monument. Pretty cool place.

Going to check one of the local Wineries in Pallisades tonight then hoping to find a place I can get a Ribeye, grilled potatoes , asparagus and nice glass of Red wine.(edit: the Winery in downtown Grand Junction was excellent. Nice rare ribeye with mashed potatoes and a glass of Red. Finished off with a slice of NY Cheesecake. We'll be going back before we leave)

Not sure what's on tap for the weekend. We're not flying out until Tuesday so I'm open for suggestions.

Last edited:
I used to live in the Redlands at the literal base of Colorado National Monument.
The drive down to Montrose is less than an hour from GJ. From there you can check out the canyon and Blue Mesa reservoir.

Reactions: supercorndogs
No, but I heard there is an even better nightvision shooting tour in St George run by some crazy Dept of State contractor.

Sounds intriguing. Close to Zion too.

Ouray, Silverton and Gunnison hotels, all closed last week. Durango about 30% open. I know you're camping (presumably), but no services other than fuel.

Staying at really nice air BnB, not camping. Maybe one day I'll overland our FJ and we'll glamp out here.

Well, Arches is still closed so we in improvised. Found it ironic that Corona Arch was open so we hiked in and took pics today. A little busy but not terrible. Stopped on the way out and checked out some of the glyphs on one of the walls. Dudes had some nuts to get as high as they did to do some of these. Then, went into Moab and had lunch at Moab dinner and picked up some souvenirs. We'll probably go back Sunday but tomorrow is Stagecoach trail and maybe Cameo as well. Then a winery while they're still open. Too bad the peaches all got fucked up from the frost. Maybe I can still get a slice of flesh peach pie with vanilla bean on top...

This area is wonderful to visit.

20200515_121213.jpg

20200515_123619.jpg

20200515_132658.jpg

Last edited:
Did the lower Pallasades Rim this morning, hit Hermosa Vineyard (no tastings yet) and shot the shit with the owner who shoots at Cameo, which goes to 2000 yards. His Cabernets Sovereign and his Cherry Dessert wines are superb BTW. Was a fun time just talking with him. We probably stayed an hour and didn't have one sip. Then, spent the afternoon in Ouray, which just opened yesterday. They still don't have sit down eating and a lot of shops are closed but OMG what a beautiful town. Mr. Grumpy Face wasn't technically open but you could buy a beer there so I grabbed a beer and grabbed a pizza from down the street then we hit the Box Canyon trail and high bridge to get an idea what we're in for tomorrow. I think we're going back to do the Ouray Rim trail tomorrow and that will finish us up.