• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Western North Carolina or just NC

CoCaDoRi

revived old guy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2001
South Central North Dakota
I'm looking for some longer ranges to shoot in NC 500 at least.

I'm in WNC but willing to drive a bit to accomplish this seemingly impossible feat...

Any idea where a guy can air thing out a bit in NC ?

Re: Western North Carolina or just NC

there is a range just south of Morganton about 15 miles down hwy 18 then get on hwy 10 east for about a mile...if you want better...you can call me but that is still a good trip for you...cant believe there is nothing around Ashville

I'm new to shooting distance (done some with a pistol and an AR) and am also looking for a range in NC, preferably in the Piedmont triad area. I have zero experience and would prefer to shoot around people who know what they're doing and are willing to share their knowledge. Any places like that near by? Thanks in advance.

Andrew

I have no idea where you can shoot out to 500 yards in Western NC, but the place I believe m54dmb is refering to is either Bullseyes or Catawba Valley Wildlife Club. Both of these ranges are 300 yrds max. If I am incorect someone let me know as I would love to be able to shoot past 300 yards.

I'm going to check out Range 37 in Bunnlevel this weekend. About 30 min north of Fayetteville. Heard mixed reviews but they have a 700M KD range. Its run by a bunch of old SOTIC instructors. Ill keep you posted

I'm a member at Piedmont Gun Club in Rutherfordton. We have a 100&200 yd line and a 600yd one.
Give me a shout some time and we'll go shoot.

CHRIS

Cixelsyd- I've been interested in checking out Piedmont gun Club. It looks like a very cool club. I live in Davidson about 1.5 hrs away. Are you headed back there anytime soon?

any updates on range 37? I worked a contract w/NCDOC and there was a guy there what worked there part time, he always tried to get me down there, i just never had the time to go

Yeah I agree with needing a range.. Now supposedly, don't hold me to it though- some of the driving ranges(golfers.... psh) are doing shoots down here in the Fletcher area (10 mins south of Asheville). I'm in the process of looking into it since i'm new to this stuff

I had a buddy that used their known distance range at the fake range 37, said it was good. You pretty much have to be a member to use it, he had a GAP rifle and they wanted him to shoot an MOA target at 100 meters before they let him use it(for 40 frickin dollars). Pretty expensive, but they known most of us around here have no other choice as Fayetteville has little in the form of long distance shooting. The rod and gun club is a joke for it being such a large base.

$40.00 is pretty damn cheap in my opinion.

I spent $40.00 just for fuel for the tractor, mower, and weed eater last weekend to mow my range.

Then there is buying the roundup to keep it from growing back so fast

And building the berms

And buying lumber for the shooting positions

And paying county taxes on the property

And just working on the shit all the time instead of just shooting

Its 20 per time with membership. If you purchase a 450 a year membership you can go whenever.

Coming from growing up on the west coast things are alot different here. On that side of the country there are 1000 meter ranges you dont even have to pay, its semi donation. Big parks like Uwharrie have ranges, etc.

It is illegal to even have a firearm on most all state property here, much less dicharge a weapon.

Sadly, I believe it will only get worse in the years to come as well. Counties all around are popping up with ordinances to prohibit shooting even on private land due to noise nuissance or some other BS reason. I fear the time will come when we cannot even shoot on our own property...

Which counties? I've been looking for some cheap land and don't want to buy in the wrong place twice... I already live in Mecklenburg County... my biggest real estate mistake I've made to date.

Last I checked on Range 37...the namesake...didn't have any distance beyond something short like 300yds. They said they had plans to extend but who knows when that will happen.

The not real range 37 out at bunnlevel has an offsite known distance range that I beileve is 700.

The real one of course has plenty but you can only shoot while in the course(or if your an instructor at lunch;)

Nobody has mentioned NSSC at Butner. Lots of matches and good people. They shoot a full slate of National Match Course, F-Class, Palma, and pistol. The big matches usually have a practice day on Friday before with casual shooting at appropriate yard lines, ie: 200,300,600, prior to a NMC or 600,1000 prior to an F-Class or 800,900,1000 prior to a Palma. In F-Class we usually have two long days of shooting, either seven or eight matches. I am long-ranged out when one is over. Dues are cheap, see NSSC website.

I have met and shot with National Champions there. Many US Palma Team members use that as their home range. We welcome new shooters and do all we can to help them learn the ropes at long range. Lots of stock guns on the line beside 4K customs.

AG

I agree. I shot there once on a 600 yd practice day. Very welcoming crowd.

The wind was blowing 25kts that day and the other firing line plateaus made for some interesting wind calls with all of the mechanical turbulence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.S.T. Glenn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$40.00 is pretty damn cheap in my opinion.

I spent $40.00 just for fuel for the tractor, mower, and weed eater last weekend to mow my range.

Then there is buying the roundup to keep it from growing back so fast

And building the berms

And buying lumber for the shooting positions

And paying county taxes on the property

And just working on the shit all the time instead of just shooting
</div></div>

Aint that the truth! Folks whine about paying dues or per day to shoot at a range and have no clue what it costs to have a range. I went thru the effort to buy enough property to live on and have my own range and when I think about what I spent/spend to do so, its staggering! If it wasnt for the other benefits of having the land I would really be kicking myself in the butt for doing it.

I mowed the range yesterday and figured I spent more than a few bucks in diesel to do so, not to mention the big bucks on the mower!

Quit whining about dues and just be glad you got a place to shoot folks!

DPRC in Mebane out to 300 yds with rumor of 500 yds going in. Mmebers club but members can take 2 guests no range fees and targets on range

Appleseed home range in Ramseur has 500 yd and military surplus electric pop up targets they open up on the SUnday appleseed shoots good guys

JST Tactical matches worth the drive and a very reasonable match fee not sure when John, Glenn and Rob plan another one

DSM Match at Woody's mornign team match 5 stages all with 500 yds target with afternoon sniper match out to 800 yds at least for the next match on 6.25.11. 3 total matches remaining in 2011 like JST well worth the drive

Trace Armory John Boyette (also same John w/JST) has Butner access at various times next one is 5.25.11

I'm a member out at range "37." If anyone ever wants to shoot let me know and I can take you offsite free of charge. They have a land lease agreement which allows you to drive out to a private farm and shoot up to 675 meters. Pretty chill since its just a single berm where you can put steel the drive or walk to desired distances.

EDIT: Ill be gone here in a few for about 4-6 months but if anyone is interested you can take my membership card and use it. Aint no fun unless the bros get some. Save some money anyway.

I will be geting home in about 3 1/2 to 4 months if your still around darkside maybe we can get togather. Would love to shoot more then a couple of hundred yards.

Hey guys, I live in winston salem and I am looking for places to shoot. I have private land about a hour from me that I can shoot up to 500 yards on but the neighbors there are getting tired of me shooting there. Im not looking to get into competitions, just as something fun to do, I shoot more at reactive targets for fun than do load development and shoot groups all day. A 1000 yard private range has been rumored to be under construction in mebane, but i havent seen anything about it.

Feel free to give me a pm.

Found this.
polkcountygunclub.org
website says 300 yards. they have open competition but have to have a membership for regular use

Range 37 is very popular on some of the local forums.

And I agree, one day we won't be able to shoot on our own land, but it may be more about loss of freedoms than a noise ordinance...

Is coastal F class/bench rest only matches or do they run tactical long range also?

Gentlemen,
Anywhere in eastern NC to shoot to 500m or beyond aside from Hathcock Range? Thanks in advance.

We have a long range match 7.9.11 in the Raleigh/Durham @ Butner with JST shioulkd be a great match. Also last weekend was the DSM Match@ Woodys (see Hide competetion listing) and there will be one more this year there.

I got your email from your profile and will send you details on the JST match