• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WESTERN REGIONAL SNIPER SHOOTOUT, Sept 12-13 Ut.

desertratdad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2005
SLC UT
www.utahshootouts.com
RESULTS VISIT: www.utahshootouts.com

UPDATED Aug 20, 2009:

To all people who have been interested in Utah Shootouts competitions and long distance training:

BIG CHANGE !!!!!!
We will still have a two day shooting match,

BUT, sorry to announce that our Western Regional Sniper Shootout does not have half enough paid shooters to be able to make it happen. I have about a dozen great shooters from six states signed up, but since I don’t make any money doing these shooting matches, I’ll be loosing way too much on this one the way it’s set up now. I need to let people know as soon as I can so they can change there travel and work plans if they wish. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So with about three weeks notice, I’ll cancel it as we know it. In the last week I checked with all the shooters that were coming in that I thought might have booked flights, none had yet.

Everyone will get a full refund. I’ll be sending checks back, etc.

The big changes I’ll have to make will be we can’t give a rifle away, If I run this more like a regular monthly match, it will work out fine. That saves most of the money I would have had to lay out, for range rental, rifle, awards, hotels and other stuff.

Bragging rights will go to the shooter with the highest two day score using the same rifle. Shooters that can only make one day are welcome. If you shoot a stage with a different rifle it will be counted as a side match and that score will not be added to the total. Heather and crew will be there to do the scoring.

Cost: $40 max. $15 per day plus $10 for dutch oven dinner. I suggested that we drop the dutch oven thing, mostly cause my "kids" as I still call them are all working and enrolled in college too. But they still wanted to do it.

I’ll need to get a new count. Please let me know a few days ahead so they can plan the food.

The COF will stay similar to what we planned already. Challenging, a lot of serious fun.

All those who were donating prizes are not obligated at all, since things have changed so much.

Thanks to all those who have helped promote and support this effort.

I’m sure there are a lot of questions, just ask.

As a lover of the shooting sports, I look forward to our September match. Hope to see as many of you as possible, if you were signed up yet or not, you are welcome.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, see ya, Clint Simon

Same rules will still apply:

North Springs Shooting Range, Price, Utah

Rules:

Individually scored match

Precision shooting from 50 to 1000 yards.

Any person

Any “ONE” rifle bolt or semi auto up to 40 cal.

Any equipment (except gun vice, you won't have time anyway)

One or more distances per stage

From 1 round per minute up to, chamber and fire 1 round in 10 seconds

Prone, barricade, sitting and standing positions

Will need to be moving a lot on some stages (not really fast)

No semi-auto or pistol needed.

You will need 150 rounds

We have always been trying to use a variety of shooting skills with what we have available at the 5 million dollar North Springs Shooting Range. For the Sept match we will use what we have found that works the best, how the stage is set up, run, and scored. Thanks for patience of our regular shooters so we can develop the computerized target system, and other forms of shooting fun.

This one rifle event, will test a variety of shooting skills and will be geared to be able to use an AR15 up to a heavy weight bolt action. Obviously some rifles can do better at some stages than others, and vice-versa. Take your best shot at which one you will bring.

COF:
Including precision stages on the 100, 600, 1000 yd ranges. Including 1000 yard targets in the morning when there probably won’t be much wind to afternoon when there will probably be 10 to 15 mile an hour gusty winds. Longer distances will be from prone. The Police range with the 50, 100 yd turning targets and moving targets from standing and barricade positions. And last but not least, our over the edge course. Shooting over the small cliff edge from 50 to just over 200 yards. We will shoot from logs, rocks, wobbly poles, stuff like that.

From having plenty of time, 1 min to fire one round, to chamber a round and fire with in 10 sec. There will probably be only a couple of targets that we’ll shoot 5 or more rounds at. One will have more to do with bringing the rifle up from a low ready position than chambering another round.
This COF is NOT designed for the use of a spotter. One could help out some I suppose, since some times you will be shooting right next to your buddy but time will be limited. Mostly you will need to stick together if you came in the same vehicle, because you need to drive a few times to different venues on the shooting complex.
Bring your dope for 50 to 1000 yards, wind, & moving targets. Just think, if you are not highly skilled in all the shooting skills we will be using, nobody else is either (maybe).

Equipment:
So pick the “one” rifle you can shoot the best under the circumstances. You will need to declare what rifle you use at sign in. Any center fire rifle, bolt or semi auto, AR 15 type up to 40 cal. Any ammo except armor piercing or tracer. There is no speed limit for this match. Most targets will be known range, a few won’t. Bring any range finding equipment you want. Bring any sand bag, mono pod, shooting sticks, or anything else you want. Just remember you will have to set up, fire, pick up and move in a limited time.
Scopes:
Probably the best will be a variable power. You will need to pick out a 1 to 1 ½ moa target at different yardages and also acquire “YOUR” target quickly at 50 or 100 yards (not the target next to yours) and fire.

Accommodations:
There is camping at the range $8 per night. Nice bathrooms close by. No fires. Any kind of camp stove is fine.
There are nice hotels 15 miles away in the town of Price.

Vendors:
A lot of shooters have some kind of business of sales or service to the firearms industry. There will be some room around the dining area in Cowboy Town for you to advertize or bring your items to sell or just show off. This will be free to any shooters. There will be time during the meal times and after the shooting is done for the day for this. Normally the range charges $25 dollars for vendor fees, but if you keep it small so we don’t take up a lot of space, there will be no charge. Ask me if you have questions about this.

Training:
There is still time to take some Basic Long Distance Training for beginning shooters to get ready to shoot the Sept match for anyone interested.

I know there are many people who have shot with us or have contacted me about our matches that I don’t have email addresses for so would you let them know what’s going on.

Thanks, Clint

Re: WESTERN REGIONAL SNIPER SHOOTOUT, Sept 12-13 Ut.

rifle009.jpg

Grand Prize:

Cal: 300 Win Mag

Receiver: Remington 700, blue printed, sako style extractor, Badger military bolt knob

Barrel: Bartlien match grade 5R cut lans and groves, 10 twist

Stock: H-S Precision L.R.T. tactical w/adjustable cheek and length of pull, glass bedded

Scope, rings & bases, bipod not included

Built by Roger's Rifle Shop, Salt Lake City, Ut.

Two custom milled from billet, AR lower receivers:
by, Specialized Tactical Systems, Pleasant View, Ut

$395 Accuracy Package
by, Wasatch Precision Arms, Ogden, Ut.

And a few other prizes so far.

Update #1

Registrations are coming in. I won't deposit checks till Sept. 1st

Got some paid in cash at the gun show last weekend. I guess I don't deposit that till then also ?????

Please send registrations in as soon as you can. Our goal is 50 shooters.

Update #2

It's been decided to give to each shooter a free pass to a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class. Which will be taught on Sat. evening Sept. 12, after dinner. (this is the only time these passes can be redeemable) If the shooter already has a Utah CFP, they can give it to a non-shooter that comes with them (or sell it, scalp it, file 13 it).

Bring your concealed firearm w/holster and or any pistol or use one of mine. Bring at least 20 rounds ammo or make a donation to use some .22 rf or .45 acp in my guns. We will have use of the shoot house and cowboy town that evening for students or anybody else too.

The class will include certificate of completion, photo, fingerprints, notary service.

Want any more details call Clint 801 599 1574
email: [email protected]

The big question I've been asked about is if this is really a one gun event. The answer is:

IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ONE RIFLE THAT WILL SHOOT FROM 50 TO 1000 YARDS, YOU HAVE TOO MANY RIFLES.

I will have some more updates after this weekend. I will be finding out about food services at the range (besides Sat. dinner). Some people have asked about vendor space. We should be able to do that, we rent the kitchen and dining area for the two days anyway. A micro gun show sounds good. I will let you know more about this stuff as soon as I can.

Sign in will be all day Friday Sept. 11 (and for the $5 daily range fee you can shoot all you want that day) and 8:00 am to 9:00 am Sat. Shooter mtg 9:00 am. Should be all done by Sunday about 3 or 4:00 pm.

The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class will be good for Utah residents or any other state as well. Bring your drivers license for I.D. All Utah CFP laws will apply including background check from hell, when you send the application in.

You will be able to shoot .223 to .40 cal., bolt or semi-auto. Will have more on the COF in the next few weeks.

Any more questions just keep asking. Thanks, Clint

Thanks Captain.

Chiller, One rifle only. No pistol needed for the match.

You may want to bring a pistol anyway (or as a lot of shooters do, bring their whole arsenal). cause there will be a few hours Saturday evening while the CFP class is going on and Sunday after the match is all over, that you can do any shooting you want in the whole 5 million dollar shooting complex. I pay your your daily range fee of $5 for Sat. & Sun. out the match fee. If you come Friday to shoot you will have to pay that $5.

Thanks, Clint

Welcome PHX

Russ, I looked in the rule book, it says some people don't get sighter shots. They are too good already. It levels the playing field you know.

LOL....

Clint, I honestly thought they were joking at first, but then they really did want sighters.

I prefer luck.... I have better luck than I have shooting skills.

RULE BOOK..... Pfft, we don't need no stinking rule book!

Re: WESTERN REGIONAL SNIPER SHOOTOUT, Sept 12-13 U

Bwahaha,

I'm pretty sure we both know that's not the way things happened, LOL.

Looks like you have a good sized group of guys that will be making the drive.

I'll bring my entry fee and the paper work onvthe 8th

Re: WESTERN REGIONAL SNIPER SHOOTOUT, Sept 12-13 U

Sounds good Russ, Thanks

Holy crap, I been out to the range for the last couple of days and there has been 170 cowboys out here shootin up cowboy town. A sight to behold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertratdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Welcome PHX

Russ, I looked in the rule book, it says some people don't get sighter shots. They are too good already. It levels the playing field you know. </div></div>

there's a rule book? i though the rules were:
1- bring a gun
2- shoot the targets.. maybe.

I'm really disapointed I can't make the match. maybe i'll come down and watch

scott

I'm going to try to make it to this one ...

Scott!

Your not going to make the one in Sep?

Why not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertratdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, if you can have a sighter shot, will you come shoot targets at the match? </div></div>

LOL

Naw, he hit the target 4 times.... he doesn't need the sighter

well since vour all shooters, i'll tell you. then yuu can either feel sorry for me or call me a dumb s#&%.

on tuesday i was working on a paper punch binding machine at work and trying to fix it and got 3 finger tips on the right hand and 2 on the left, cut off. and yes one of them was the trigger finger. it might be a while before i can get out and shot again. after the plastic surgon got done he said most of the feeling in the finger tips might be lost. i cant put any pressure on the tips for about 6 weeks. after that we will see how much feeling will be left in the finger pads. who knows i might shoot better if i can't feel the trigger
smile.gif

typing this took about 15 min cus i can only use my thumb or ring finger on the left hand.

Well Scott, if I could think of something to say jokingly I would. About all I can think of is oh shet. Hope it heals as soon as possible. Thanks for your support all these months, look forward to you shootin again hopefully in a few months. Come by and give us a bad time soon. See ya, Clint

Dang Scott, my apologies for your accident.

I look forward to your recovery and us shooting again.

You need something, don't hesitate to get a hold of me.

Take care bro.

Russ

If any of the Vegas or Phx guys are flying in and want a ride from the Airport in SLC let me know. I have at least two seats available in my truck and will be heading down on Friday sometime.

I plan on camping at the range in a tent.

sounds great, if i come alone i'll plan on that, but hopefully i'll have someone to drive with me all the way there. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3gunF1guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[awful story snipped]
i cant put any pressure on the tips for about 6 weeks. after that we will see how much feeling will be left in the finger pads. who knows i might shoot better if i can't feel the trigger
smile.gif

typing this took about 15 min cus i can only use my thumb or ring finger on the left hand. </div></div>

Won't help with the rifle, bit I recommend Dragon Naturally Speaking version 10. It works, but you might need to spend an extra $50 on a USB microphone if you don't buy a box version that comes with a decent headset.

It works even better if your hard drive has a bunch of documents you've written--it learns from your own writing style.

Sorry to hear about that. All my friends, relatives, and myself have had problems with only one finger at a time (except 7th Grade, when that guy's nose crunched three of mine back in the palm area...).

Update 7/27/09

Since we are continually changing (improving?) our events, there are a few things we are experimenting with and working on as long as we can.

Here is an update though. If it looks unclear or you have questions, please let me know.

This one rifle event, will test a variety of shooting skills and will be geared to be able to use an AR15 up to a 16 lb bolt action. From single shot to semi auto.

COF
A lot of very precision shooting. Including 1000 yard targets in the morning when there probably won’t be any wind to afternoon when there will probably be 10 to 15 mile an hour gusty winds. Longer distances will be from prone. Others will be standing, off of logs or rocks, wobbly poles, etc. From having plenty of time, 5 min set up & 1 min to fire one round. To 6 rounds per min. ( this means chamber a round and fire with in 10 sec.) There will probably be only a couple of targets that we’ll shoot 5 or more rounds at. One will have more to do with bringing the rifle up from a low ready position than chambering another round.
This COF is not designed for the use of a spotter. One could help out some I suppose, since some times you will be shooting right next to your buddy. Mostly you will need to stick together if you came in the same vehicle, because you need to drive several times to different venues on the shooting complex.
Bring your dope for 50 to 1000 yards, wind, & moving targets. Just think, if you are not highly skilled in all the shooting skills we will be using, nobody else is either (maybe).

Equipment
So pick the rifle you can shoot the best under the circumstances. Most targets will be known range a few won’t. Bring any range finding equipment you want. Bring any sand bag, mono pod, shooting sticks, or anything else you want. Just remember you will have to set up, fire, pick up and move in a limited time.
Scopes.
Probably the best will be a variable power. You will need to pick out a 1 to 1 ½ moa target at different yardages and also acquire YOUR target quickly at 50 yards (not the target next to you) and fire.

Accommodations
There is camping at the range $8 per night. Nice bathrooms close by. No fires.
There are nice hotels 15 miles away in the town of Price. My kids started getting rooms at the Holiday Inn on the west end of town. It’s newer and nice. So that’s where we’ve rented before and I’ve told many shooters.

Food
Saturday evening dutch oven meal is included in shooter fee. Spectators cost $10. There will be available Saturday lunch, Sunday breakfast, and Sunday Lunch. We ask for about a $5 donation each for these. Please email me if you want these meals. We will need to know ahead of time to be ready. You can pay at sign in.

Vendors
A lot of shooters have some kind of business of sales or service to the firearms industry. There will be some room around the dining area in Cowboy Town for you to advertize or bring your items to sell or just show off. This will be free to shooters. There will be time during the meal times and after the shooting is done for the day for this. Normally the range charges $25 dollars for vendor fees, but if you keep it small so we don’t take up a lot of space, there will be no charge. Ask me if you have questions about this.

Practice Match
Aug 8 we’ll be having our monthly match. We will be doing a lot of the Sept match stuff, for your practice and ours too. $15 charge for this day. Sorry no dutch oven this day. Bring your own food water and about 75 rounds. 9:00 am start.

Thanks, Clint

Clint,

I like everything I have read about your match, except that you have scheduled it right smack in the middle of the elk & deer archery season! What were you thinking? Any chance you will put on another match like this in the spring?

Cheers,

DC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DC Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Clint,

I like everything I have read about your match, except that you have scheduled it right smack in the middle of the elk & deer archery season! What were you thinking? </div></div>

I was thinking: The bow hunts in Utah are over the first week of Sept.

Ya I'm sure we'll do something in the Spring. We actually had thoughts of a team thing, where spotting is a must and having to shoot long and short range at the same time. I can't think any more about that though, till I get the Sept. shoot over with.

Clint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertratdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was thinking: The bow hunts in Utah are over the first week of Sept. </div></div>
The archery season (both elk & deer) runs the full month of September in Idaho. Since I plan to hunt a new area this year, I doubt I will have both tags filled the 1st week.

We actually had thoughts of a team thing, where spotting is a must and having to shoot long and short range at the same time. </div></div>

You can learn some good stuff in team matches; our local club in Parma, ID only shoots team events. And team matches are an excellent way to bring a new shooter up to speed quickly. But there are down-sides as well. A biggie is finding a partner with a similar skill level and dedication. Even if you are lucky enough to find someone as crazy as you, he may not have the time and money to travel out of state to matches. I ended up skipping last weekend’s match at Parma because my teammate didn’t get his hay cut in time. Personally, if I am going to travel a good way and spend a night or two on the road, I want my match performance to reflect how I shot... For whatever it is worth.

DC

Just changed my first post on this thread to include all rules, updates, answers to questions, etc. all in one post. As it says we still have some room left, but I need the registrations in so I can let the food people know the count.

Also give me heads up if you are interested in the concealed carry class so we can have enough materials ready.

We are taking the best of what we've done in the past and putting it all together for this two day event. Don't get left out!

Thanks, Clint

BIG CHANGE!!!!!!
We will still have a two day shooting match,

BUT, sorry to announce that our Western Regional Sniper Shootout does not have half enough paid shooters to be able to make it happen. I have about a dozen great shooters from six states signed up, but since I don’t make any money doing these shooting matches, I’ll be loosing way too much on this one the way it’s set up now. I need to let people know as soon as I can so they can change there travel and work plans if they wish. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So with about three weeks notice, I’ll cancel it as we know it. In the last week I checked with all the shooters that were coming in that I thought might have booked flights, none had yet.

Everyone will get a full refund. I’ll be sending checks back, etc.

The big changes I’ll have to make will be we can’t give a rifle away, If I run this more like a regular monthly match, it will work out fine. That saves most of the money I would have had to lay out, for range rental, rifle, awards, hotels and other stuff.

Bragging rights will go to the shooter with the highest two day score using the same rifle. Shooters that can only make one day are welcome. If you shoot a stage with a different rifle it will be counted as a side match and that score will not be added to the total. Heather and crew will be there to do the scoring.

Cost: $40 max. $15 per day plus $10 for dutch oven dinner. I suggested that we drop the dutch oven thing, mostly cause my "kids" as I still call them are all working and enrolled in college too. But they still wanted to do it.

I’ll need to get a new count. Please let me know a few days ahead so they can plan the food.

The COF will stay similar to what we planned already. Challenging, a lot of serious fun.

All those who were donating prizes are not obligated at all, since things have changed so much.

Thanks to all those who have helped promote and support this effort.

I’m sure there are a lot of questions, just ask.

As a lover of the shooting sports, I look forward to our September match. Hope to see as many of you as possible, if you were signed up yet or not, you are welcome.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, see ya, Clint Simon

I should still be there, but this means I can spend more time hunting and less time working on the range.

Believe me I know it's a big let down. I would need 15 or 20 more signed up just to begin to break out even. I sure apprieciated all your guys enthusiasm for this match and for the last couple years.

After the last call a week ago, only a couple more said they would plan on it. (in the last 3 weeks we actually lost ground from people emailing me and explaining they couldn't make it after all, nobody's fault, just what happened)

I figure I better let people know now and not any later. I just don't see that many more signing up. So I just had to make up a plan B, Shootout without the prize. Clint

Ya, we will still do a concealed class. After all, there ain't nothing better to talk about at a shootin match than guns.

See ya, Clint

p.s. included with the match fee of course