• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wet behind the ears and need help setting up reloa

datw

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2008
Juliette Ga
I would like to get myself set up to reload for 223/308/338 and need some of you to tell me what an incredible set up would be. I would like something that would allow me to grow into it. I dont have an unlimited budget but i am not going to nickel and dime it either. Need this setup to last me a long time. Please give me a company like rcbs and elaborate on equipment. Then if you dont mind listing good companies to order from. Thanks and i will owe each and every one of you for your input.

Re: Wet behind the ears and need help setting up reloa

I am very new as well. as a matter of fact I just ordered up my stuff today, but I had the help of a local guy who has been reloading and shooting match for some time.

I suggested the RCBS rockchucker pro starting kit, but he made some changes to it... took out the things I didnt need and added the things I did.

I ended up ordering every thing I need for .223 and .308 including dies, cases, primers, powder and bullets for under 700 bucks. I will be adding .243 dies and shell holders soon as well.

I did not get a tumbler or case trimmer, though the case trimmer will be on the way in a few months as funds permit.

I'm sure there is alot more experience here that can help, but I can give you a list of what I am starting with in a few days when it all comes from the magic UPS guy.

At a minimum --

Press (single stage will work well at first, may require progressive as needs change)

Dies for each caliber (neck and seating at a minimum, some also suggest full length die as well). Don't forget a shell holder for holding the cartrige during reloading.

Scale for weighing charges

Obviously brass, primers, powder, and bullets for the appropriate caliber.

*IMPORTANT* Loading manual. Info off the interwebnets is good, but unless you actually know personally the individual providing the information, your guess is as good as anybody else's.

This is a pretty open-ended list. But reloading equipment is as personal a selection as rifle selection. Pick up a catalog from MidwayUSA and you can see the difference in price between the different companies. RCBS and Redding seem to be the top two in quality as far as factory produced equipment, but the price reflects the time requirement to get that quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: datw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to get myself set up to reload for 223/308/338 and need some of you to tell me what an incredible set up would be. I would like something that would allow me to grow into it. I dont have an unlimited budget but i am not going to nickel and dime it either. Need this setup to last me a long time. Please give me a company like rcbs and elaborate on equipment. Then if you dont mind listing good companies to order from. Thanks and i will owe each and every one of you for your input. </div></div>

I would start from the begining and read as much on the reloading as you can. Here is a good start.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96660#Post96660

As far as equipment is concerned, I would recommend the RCBS Rocker Supreme kit. You need a powder trickler to go with that and a digital caliper and you are GTG. There are few other essential components such as tumbler and media and such. I would also recommmend a Lyman manual and please read it thoroughly. Remember, You are mixing gun powder, primer, in small package that can KBoom, so be careful. If done correctly, it should be safe and enjoyable, not to mention economical also. Don't cut corners, don't invent your own recipe until you know exactly what you are doing.

Redding Competition die set.
Single stage O frame press. Redding , RCBS or Lyman O crusher 2 . Make sure it is long enough in the throat to load the 338 ?
Redding powder measure 3BR.
Redding scales.
Redding , Hornady or RCBS case mouth chamfer tool.
RCBS case lube.
Lube pad.
Sinclair primer pocket uniformer.
Sinclair case holding blocks.
Sinclair case spinners.

Re: Wet behind the ears and need help setting up r

Start with the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo. You won't wind up with a beam scale and powder measure, trickler, etc. that you don't need.
Calibration Weight Set.

Redding or Forster press.
Wilson case trimmer with Sinclair base (obtained as a unit from Sinclair).
Redding and Forster dies.
VLD chamfer tool (Lyman, RCBS).
Imperial Sizing Wax.
Caliper.
Sinclair catalog.

MIdSouth and Graf are good people to do business with and have good prices. Sinclair has great accessories; you may eventually want their Concentricity Gauge.

These recommended pieces will not be replaced later. If you get a kit, you will aspire to the set-up above because the powder measure won't be accurate with your powders and you'll be weighing every charge. You will want some case prep tools and can choose your own as needed. Forum SEARCHes will help you choose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start with the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo. You won't wind up with a beam scale and powder measure, trickler, etc. that you don't need.
Calibration Weight Set.

Redding or Forster press.
Wilson case trimmer with Sinclair base (obtained as a unit from Sinclair).
Redding and Forster dies.
VLD chamfer tool (Lyman, RCBS).
Imperial Sizing Wax.
Caliper.
Sinclair catalog.

MIdSouth and Graf are good people to do business with and have good prices. Sinclair has great accessories; you may eventually want their Concentricity Gauge.

These recommended pieces will not be replaced later. If you get a kit, you will aspire to the set-up above because the powder measure won't be accurate with your powders and you'll be weighing every charge. You will want some case prep tools and can choose your own as needed. Forum SEARCHes will help you choose. </div></div>
The RCBS charge master is the piece you don't need , expensive and unnecessary.

Well the OP did say he wanted to know what an incredible set up would be...

The RCBS Chargemaster is an expensive tool but I find it accurate and faster than my beam scale or my Hornady digital scale and Lee dippers! But I don't use it for for dispensing powder for smaller cases like the .223 or .45 acp, or small batches. Just the scale. It's also nice to have a couple scales though in case one craps out or you suspect VooDoo and need to confirm your suspicions!

I loaded up 500 rounds of .223 Thursday on my Dillon 550 using the Dillon powder measure and every case I checked was +/- .1 grain of either RL-15 or W748. My crappy shooting will have far more impact on my accuracy than that subtle difference in powder weight!

It makes sense to me, incredible or not. People dump and trickle for years, and then get the Combo. If the coin is available, go ahead and get the thing and use it. Avoid the aggravation.

I don't disagree that a beam back-up could be useful, but it isn't necessary to sort out a problem. The check weights can do that.

You should get some RCBS precision mics for 223 and 308 cal. or Stoney point tool for measuring headspace and to set up the amount of travel to the rifling. I think someone bought out stoney point so the name may be different. Check out Sinclair Intrnational on the web they have good info. I generally buy from Midsouth they are cheaper but certain things I can only find at Sinclair. I have had 2 electronic scales and 2 mechanical scales. I recommend the top of the line RCBS mechanical scales. By the way the shellholder for 243 is the same one as for 308 Win, no need to buy another one. Lyman makes a must have reloading manual. You will need a good set of dial or digital calipers.

david

Thanks folks...trying to take all of this in.