• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wetherby Vanguard Series 2 RC Varmint

bclass16

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2014
Hi new to the forum, just signed up. I wanted to sign up and give my experience with my new purchase because of the lack of reviews and pictures of both the rifle and scope I just purchased. Skip to next paragraph if you want to get straight to what i bought. I will not have a follow on with the product until after 21 October due to being out of country. Just a quick explanation of my planned use with this gun: I have never had a gun or the time to learn to shoot past 250 yards so this will get me out to 400 reasonably and 600yards for target practice. I hunt in Texas and will have a 22-250 which will be very capable of killing anything I hunt. I will be fine tuning my reloading abilities with this gun as well. Enough with the intro and on with my new toy.

I just purchased the:
Wetherby Vanguard Series 2 RC (Range Certified) Varmint 22-250
Leupold VX-6 3-18x50mm
Atlas BT-46 PSR bipod.
Leupold 1 piece mark 4 pica tinny base
Leupold Mark 4 30mm rings

links to all these will be at the end of the post.

I searched for a long time for a 22-250 that would meet my needs and this is the setup I ended up with. The rifle is a little on the higher end of cost but awesome. The only thing I would have preferred as a tighter twist to use a heavier bullet but nothing caught my eye that pulled me away from the wetherby. The scope boiled down to price and with the $1,000ish price range it came down to the VX-3 and the VX-6 and I went with the 6. Overall this will be around a $3000 setup with everything purchased new from Midway USA, Voodoo Tactics, and my local gun shop Dury's in San Antonio, TX.
Any questions or opinions about my purchases are welcome. On that note it is all purchased and already being shipped so there is no going back, so don't go to crazy telling me I should have bought the Savage 12 or something like that.

I will post pictures and then shooting experience as they happen to if you are thinking about purchasing but can't decide stay tuned and in a month i will have all the details for you. Thanks for all the forums I spent hours scrolling through to make my final purchase.

Vanguard® Series 2 RC (Range Certified) Varmint | Weatherby.com
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...ipod-1913-picatinny-rail-mount-aluminum-black

Glad to see another Texan on here. I know exactly where Dury's is, and it is a nice gun shop.
I am a big Howa fan (virtually the same as a Weatherby vanguard), and I believe you will pleased with the accuracy.Both of mine (Howa) shoot sub MOA out to three hundred yards so far with factory ammunition.

I am personally not as familiar with the Howa Action, which is what the Vanguard is from my understanding, but I have read and heard good things. The only drawback that I have heard is the resell is not as good as the better known 700 action. With that being said I don't plan on a reselling. Wetherby gives a Sub MOA guarantee with this gun and they call it Range Certified with signature and proof in the box. What that really meant to me was I get a stock made for a much longer range caliber. The few reviews I was able to find on the RC Varmint just said you could buy the stock and add it on later for cheaper but then I have a less capable stock that would be hard to sell sitting around the house so I just went with the full package straight out of the box. I can always use this stock on a different setup later.
One of the first possible upgrades may be a timney trigger. It will all just depend on how the Series 2 trigger operates and from what I have read they out perform the old triggers by leaps and bounds.
Thanks for the welcome V8r.

Nice buy! I got my father in law a vanguard 2 in a 223 with a wood stock that he loves. It's a shooter and he doesn't have the RC! I heard the series 2 triggers are easy to adjust.

I went with a VX-3 4.5x14-40mm for my 300 win mag. I haven't put it all together but Leupys are great scopes

I have the older trigger on my .308 (3 position safety) and the new HACT trigger on my .223. I dissasembled both trigger assemblies and polished all contact surfaces to a almost mirror shine. Both are good triggers with my favorite being the Hact trigger. on the other hand the older trigger assembly can be adjusted down to scary low levels.