• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing wetherby vanguard vgx action. Want to build it.

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
Hello all. I am getting a wetherby vanguard VGX in 300weatherby mag in trade for some poolcue work and want to build something out of it. I really would like a 338LM or something along that lines. I have only messed with savages,rugers and remington guns so far. I have read these have an internal recoil lug. Other than that is there anything you can think of that I should keep in mind? I have also read a little on the cheytac rounds. I could not find much info on those yet.
As for the 338LM Is it possible to mill out the bolt face to accept the larger diameter? If so, what about the extractor?
So if this was your action what would you build. I am just tossing up ideas at the moment. I am not set on any one caliber yet. I already have a 300WM mark V wetherby so I want to try something else. Any info is appreciated. Thanks Chris.

Re: wetherby vanguard vgx action. Want to build it.

i have a vanguard in 300 weatherby i thought about changing to 338 lm and talk to a gun smith about it. he said something about the diameter of the threads wouldn't handle a 338 lm and would most likely blow up in my face so i aborted the build.

Do you know if he was referring to the thread pitch or, to the barrel being too thin due to the larger diameter of the 338 chamber? None of my loding books have the 338 in them so I have not done a side by side on the case loads yet. I did not think there would be a huge diffrence in pressures but, I really do not know.

i think he was referring to the thiness of the barrel. in stead of the 338 lm build i opted for the 340 weatherby; same case just necked up less chance to blow myself up.

so being the same case and having the ability to handle the same pressure why would a 338 lm blow up and not the weatherby?

So here is what I have come up with so far. The 338LM has a case that is 0.075 larger in diameter. It is 0.101 shorter than the 300WM (weatherby mag) but the oal on a loaded round the 338 is 0.119 longer. (Not accounting for longer oal on hand loads.)
As for pressure the info I have been able to compare so far is in C.U.P.(listed as copper crusher pressure) as I could not find psi ratings on both. The measurements I have found so far show 300 weatherby mag as 65000CUP
338LM as 56000cup/ 60,916psi
There was a note on the 338LM that said the proofing lab used to list it as safe at somewhere around 64000psi before but revised the spec some time ago. Even at the higher spec the 338 had a lower CUP spec than the 300weatherby mag.
So, any input on this would be appreciated. I will contact some barrel makers and see if they can give any insite. That is a whole other can on worms. Any recomendations on who to buy a blank from. I have a kreiger on one of my benchrest guns. They are the only really custom barrels I have owned.

Ive built a few .338 Lap Mags on Howa 1500 actions, the base action was a .300win mag,.
I opened the bolt face up to accept the .338LM case head size whilst truing up the rifle action. I also removed the nose that sticks out into the feed port (underside) just in front of the trigger and altered the bolt stop so the bolt can travel far enough back.
Slight alteration to the extractor and off you go,.

The barrel thread on a Howa is only very slightly less in diameter than that or a remington. so i didn't worry about pressure issues, figuring that if a Remington 700 could handle the .338 lap, then the Howa certainly could. The rifles passed the German proof with theier max load +30% proof loads with no problems at all.

The case head of the .338Lap is wider than the standard magnums that are found in the Howa 1500. as I mentioned above, slight alteration of the extractor is required (its a 2 min job with a dremel and needle file) and when going froma standard Howa barrel thread-schank-chamber diagrahm, you need to open the rear of the barrel up more than with standard due to the extractor sitting further out of the side of the bolt nose.

I mated the actions up to altered Badger Ordnance mag systems using AICS .338LM magazines.

All the converted Howa's perfomed excellently, giving superb accuracy and reliability.
As the Vanguard is basicaly the same action as the Howa 1500, you can take it all 1 for 1.

Pete

Here's a Howa opened and fluted by Kampfeld.

Howa338boltfacesm.jpg

Sell the action on Gunbroker or here. Get one of these instead. Note the one next to bottom.

Bolt looks good. I still do not know what I want to do with this one yet. The stock is beat up and I wanted to replace it so I figured I might as well build up the gun while I am at it. My major concern was the availability of aftermarket parts.
I have already built up a savage in 308, a few mausers and a custom 50cal so I have experiance but am by no means an expert. I am starting to considder the 300wm just for the availability of components for reloading.

Mr. Manners is a hide member and I have corresponded with him personnally for stock work check him out I wouldn't price his work without consulting him first but He quoted a carbon fiber Manners -t that I'm going with for a vanguard project of mine.