• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s a good spotting scope for 100 yards?

Bridgebuilder34

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2021
CA
I’m looking for a spotting scope to help sight in rifles at 100 yards red dots,prisms,lpvos etc. I’d like to be able to see up a flys asshole and count his ass hairs at 100 yards. My Vortex DIAMONDBACK HD 12X50 binos aren’t cutting it anymore, I can barely see holes in paper with them. What do you guys recommend?

Reactions: Bridgebuilder34
Go on EBAY and buy a sweet U.S. Milsurp M49 or even better a Unertl for $200-$500 depending on how pretty it has to be.

Look at this Cold War sweetness.

I actually own one of these.

The whole manufacture is first class….it’s too heavy though and my M49 rides the bag and does everything with paper out to 300 as long as I use the right backer and atmosphere is better than marginal.

I spent $800 for a scope in condition just better than this one because I got the pleasure of cutting it out of the original bags it was sealed in.

They weigh nothing and can take a beating when packed inside the can as well as out.

It’s my primary scope

Had an M49 years ago. Not a fan and would not recommend one. So many better options out there now.

I’m looking for a spotting scope to help sight in rifles at 100 yards red dots,prisms,lpvos etc. I’d like to be able to see up a flys asshole and count his ass hairs at 100 yards. My Vortex DIAMONDBACK HD 12X50 binos aren’t cutting it anymore, I can barely see holes in paper with them. What do you guys recommend?
If you want a spotter to be able to count a fly's ass hairs at 100 yards then the Kowa 99 series 30-70x and the 1.6x additional Kowa magnification extender adaptor are the way to go. Probably Liberty (Scott) is going to offer you the best deal if it's still going for $3000.00 out the door with free shipping and no tax plus whatever the 1.6x extender costs. Call him. If you prefer the top of the line Swarovski counterpart then be prepared to spend more than $5000 - $6000.

For 100 yards basically anything will do. And you’ll want a wider field of view vs max magnification trying to figure out where a red dots hitting at 100. Too much zoom and you can’t see where it’s missing at. Something at 20x would be good and then maybe zoom in if you need it

You don't need spotting scope power to see clearly at 100 yards. You do need good quality glass, especially if conditions aren't optimal.

My Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 bino's work great for what you are seeking.

I would focus on optical quality over magnification.

Ares UHD G2 way more than enough.

Probably get it for $600 or so if you offer.
Optics Planet last time I checked just recently had a very good Bonus Bucks (in store rebate type credit towards future purchase) incentive for the Athlon Ares UHD G2 20-60x85 which sort of like brought the price down to around $650-$675 indirectly with the additional Bonus Bucks. It's also easy to ask for a 10% discount code through their online chat. If given a choice I'd opt fir the Athlon Cronus UHD G2 instead for around $850 or less from Cameraland it's their top of the line and likely the best China has to offer other than (if you don't want to spend the extra for the Athlon lifetime warranty) the very strikingly similar and likely the same spotter at $420 (currently with $380 discount) SVBONY SA 401 APO through Amazon. Then buy the sub $20 Amazon's choice tripod for it and the $90 remote SVBONY eyepiece phone scoping Bluetooth adapter.

What is the groups experience with the Vortex Razor HD line?
Good deal for $1299 currently on eBay. Best warranty in the business and similar to the Tract Toric and Leupold SX5 Santiam. At least you won't get any BS on any warranty claims if you accidentally drop it off of a cliff or run it over with your truck. It's worth $1299 even if you aren't a Vortex fan at this price, you won't lose that much $$$ if any if you ever decide to sell it in the future. The $850 Athlon Cronus UHD G2 is really close compared to this Vortex and so is the $420 SVBONY SA 401 APO from Amazon I mentioned on a previous reply if you dont care about warranty.

Optics Planet last time I checked just recently had a very good Bonus Bucks (in store rebate type credit towards future purchase) incentive for the Athlon Ares UHD G2 20-60x85 which sort of like brought the price down to around $650-$675 indirectly with the additional Bonus Bucks. It's also easy to ask for a 10% discount code through their online chat. If given a choice I'd opt fir the Athlon Cronus UHD G2 instead for around $850 or less from Cameraland it's their top of the line and likely the best China has to offer other than (if you don't want to spend the extra for the Athlon lifetime warranty) the very strikingly similar and likely the same spotter at $420 (currently with $380 discount) SVBONY SA 401 APO through Amazon. Then buy the sub $20 Amazon's choice tripod for it and the $90 remote SVBONY eyepiece phone scoping Bluetooth adapter.
I just got a Helos 6-24 for $570 out the door and $86 bucks!

Reactions: Scopeye
If you haven't already bought anything yet, there's a pair of SVBONY HD and ED spotters currently on sale at reasonable prices for around $100 with free decent better than average tripod and just an ED upgraded model for under $300 with free shipping and free returns through Amazon. The $100 SV46 that's currently on sale for less than half price is compared to a $900 Vortex Razor Gen 1 HD in the YouTube video. Buy both and just plan to return one after comparing both side by side to see which one is good enough for you. The $100 SV46 includes a free tripod that's actually useable and spotter has better quality glass than the Athlon Argos and Vortex Diamondback HD spotters and likely even closer to the Viper HD.

"What’s a good spotting scope for 100 yards? | Sniper's Hide Forum" https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/which-spotting-scope-to-buy.7186702/#post-11181224