• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s a good torque wrench

TurboTrout

Two Star General
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
East Coast
What’s a good torque wrench for say 2-50ftlb?

Looking for a good non status symbol thing, don’t want chinese crap, but also don’t need to spend 10x more for .01x better with a snap and I don’t have time to pawnshop shop for a snap or mac right now

Thanks 🤘

What’s a good torque wrench for say 2-50ftlb?

Looking for a good non status symbol thing, don’t want chinese crap, but also don’t need to spend 10x more for .01x better with a snap and I don’t have time to pawnshop shop for a snap or mac right now

Thanks 🤘
Traditionally, calibrated/good quality standard torque tools are only certified 100 down to 20% of max torque, so the min max ratio is ±5X

This is why when you see 20-100 and 10 to 50 etc...its a good sign because its not false optimism.

However, then you need two different tools to cover 2-10 and 10 to 50.

Traditionally, calibrated/good quality standard torque tools are only certified 100 down to 20% of max torque, so the min max ratio is ±5X

This is why when you see 20-100 and 10 to 50 etc...its a good sign because its not false optimism.

However, then you need two different tools to cover 2-10 and 10 to 50.

I can get two, I just run into quite a few little bolts that are like 2.2lbs on my bikes

And I don’t really want to be all like

6wjaoq.jpg

I know you said no Chinese...the Harbor Freight Icon has been fine for me. I don't need crazy accuracy however. I like the click type as well soo...

I believe that Wiha is now just a name put on Chinese tools. They sold out, I guess.
Personally I own three Snap-on torque wrenches which I trust. Tektron, mostly appear to be okay, but there are reports of some of their units being wildly inaccurate.

My first choice would be Snap-on, and used would be satisfactory. Last time there was a big downturn in the economy, there were some GREAT deals on new Snap-on tools, as in half off.

Last edited:
I believe that Wiha is now just a name put on Chinese tools. They sold out, I guess.
Personally I own three Snap-on torque wrenches which I trust. Tektron, mostly appear to be okay, but there are reports of some of their units being wildly inaccurate.

My first choice would be Snap-on, and used would be satisfactory. Last time there was a big downturn in the economy, there were some GREAT deals on new Snap-on tools, as in half off.

I just ordered an Wiha inch/lb and it’s made in Germany, I ordered a screwdriver as well from them because it was made in USA

CDI * is* Snap-On.
I have 4 different sizes of click-type which I used on aircraft. CDI is a good choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboTrout
Don't over think it

I have a lesser expensive M.I.T 1/2" torque wrench
I have tested it a few times over the years and it has been dead on

I am tightening lug nuts not building space shuttles

A $50 Tekton brand will work for most homeowner applications

Also
If you expect to store a torque wrench for more than a few weeks, always wind it down to the lowest scale setting (never to zero). Storing a fully loaded torque wrench can result in a set in the spring, weakening the spring over time

Reactions: Ichi
Don't over think it

Also
If you expect to store a torque wrench for more than a few weeks, always wind it down to the lowest scale setting (never to zero). Storing a fully loaded torque wrench can result in a set in the spring, weakening the spring over time

I agree

But strive for perfection and settle for precision

I know its not what you asked for but I’ve been using one of these for a few years now

works as it should

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Don't over think it

Also

Not an issue with a dual beam like the PI.

Don't over think it

Also

Also, (and I'm sure most here know this) a torque wrench is not a breaker bar. Using one to break lugnuts loose runs a very high risk of ruining it.

Like I said, common knowledge for most folks... But pass it on to your kids. I failed to do so and now own an expensive paperweight.

Mike

Craftsman, it's the Vortex of tools...
You know the warranty is the bestest....😂

Fyi split beam torque wrench’s can be left on whatever settings indefinitely without problems.