• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters What’s a really good Tripod

Kaveman44

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
Looking to buy a tripod but I’m not looking to spend anything too crazy! Thanks Jimmy

Ive had a bog death grip for 2 years now. They can be had for around $140. They make a carbon fiber one for around $200. I set my 13 pound rifle in it and it does not move. Very sturdy. Shot a deer with a 6.5 grendel last year at around 320 yards with it. To me, that tripod is just as good as shooting prone with a bipod.

Also, does you gun have an Arca rail or are we talking about a hog saddle or some such?

I have an Arca rail, but might use it for hunting and might want a hog saddle, too crazy to me means I don’t wanna spend more than $500-$700 for everything

I’d seriously look at the vortex radian tripod with the leveling base option. Top of your price range but the legs are tall and stout, the leveling head will be useful immediately and can be switched for an Anvil-30 down the road if you get really excited about tripod use, and it’s a vortex product so you can sleep easy knowing they have a great reputation if something breaks.

In my opinion, it’s the next best thing to going full RRS which will double the required cash unless you find some kind of screaming deal in the PX.

Take a look a Slik, Promaster and Sirui. Great options at all price points on all 3 brands. Give me a call to discuss the best options based on your needs, height and exactly what you will be using on it.
I'm here from now, through 5:30 today.
Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

Reactions: Kaveman44
The main difference between a cheap tripod and an expensive one is stability. Cheap tripods like the one I own are almost impossible to keep still. The slightest breeze will cause camera shake. A more expensive tripod generally will be a lot more solidly built.

found a used Vortex with ball head, gonna switch it to the leveling head because I'm in Florida and wont need all the angles with the ball head

Buy the best you can afford. It might hold your 4K rifle, your 3K scope and a 5K NV or thermal. All in all a 12K investment resting on an unstable tri pod is NOT good.

You should be able to get a good set up, all in for under 500$.

Reactions: BurtGummer
I bought the Vortex Radian carbon tripod (used $650) with the ball head, I should’ve said I bought not found, I am going to change the ball head for the leveling head because I live and shoot mostly in Florida and it’s really flat obviously

I have a few Leofoto, SLIK, Outdoorsman, Manfrotto, Gitzo.

Depends where I am going and what I am doing.

But I grab the SLIK and Outdoorsman more often than not.

Tripods are like good range finding binoculars. You should sell some guns and scopes if you don’t already have them.

RRS Anvil 30

smoked groundhogs at 400 off one. Plus a 130 pound piglet at 495. At night.

This topic comes up often and there is a massive thread on it. The general solution is get an Innorel RT90C plus an RRS Anvil 30 and the adapter plate from a gentleman on the hide who makes them. If you ever upgrade you keep the Anvil and add a RRS tripod. I went this route and have zero complaints.

I just picked up a PVA in the PX.
It arrived yesterday so no real world use yet, but it seems solid.
It has the RRS series 3leveling base.
I threw a rifle on it last night for a few minutes and she locks up solid.

Reactions: HogsLife
Rt90C pva comp40 and two vets 40mike Mike are all pretty much same tripod. And yes they're good. The innorel has a 90mm bowl and requires the Midwest off-road insert for the anvil. The pva and pva have 75mm bolws that'll take the series 3? rrs 75mm bowl adapter.
I have owned the PVA since it was first released and sent @midwestoffroad the dimensions for an insert about a year ago. I realize the Comp40 isn't as popular as the RT90C, since I think PVA only had one, maybe two runs, of the tripods, but I'm happy with the plate from Midwest and the Anvil

Last edited:
Reactions: khuber84
I have a Two Vets Recon and a Two Vets No Name Jr. Both fantastic tripods, though the no name jr is super small and really more of a special purpose tripod. The Recon is a full feature fantastic tripod that won’t break the bank. I have it paired with a leofoto half bowl leveling head with and arca clamp.

This topic comes up often and there is a massive thread on it. The general solution is get an Innorel RT90C plus an RRS Anvil 30 and the adapter plate from a gentleman on the hide who makes them. If you ever upgrade you keep the Anvil and add a RRS tripod. I went this route and have zero complaints.
I was a photographer and videographer before using tripods for shooting.

RRS Anvil head is THE head for shooting off tripods IMO.

I've never used the RT90C but the specs look good for the $. Having used the PIG and Night Stalker tripods with the grip type attachment, the Anvil+34L from RRS really are better.

moaorbust gives great advice above; best budget/performance option