• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s going on with the Nosler brass supply?

stilts75

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Fremont, CA
Good afternoon all.
Posted the same question on another forum and haven’t gotten an answer. Anyone have insight as to what's going on with Nosler? Specifically their brass production? Certain calibers have been out of stock for an extended time now. I use Nosler in most of my rifles. I’m almost ready to switch to another brand but I really don’t want to do LD all over again....

Last edited:
Across the board right now is a bad time to find anything. Our LGS has posted several times starting in July to get orders for ammo in for Nov deer season

I run Nosler in my 300. Was always out of stock so I bought a couple boxes in the PX here when they came up

Could be more to it but bad time to judge availability

Isn't Nosler just Norma?

For the most part, I'd pick up any Lapua, Norma, Peterson I could find if I needed it. Hell, Hornady or Winchester still works fine just don't get as many loadings.

I have looked at Lapua and Peterson. Unfortunately they don’t offer 7 Rem Mag. I’ve bought Norma for my for other rifles and weight sorted the cases only to find large variations. I have heard that Norma has made certain calibers of brass for Nosler In the past.

I have looked at Lapua and Peterson. Unfortunately they don’t offer 7 Rem Mag. I’ve bought Norma for my for other rifles and weight sorted the cases only to find large variations. I have heard that Norma has made certain calibers of brass for Nosler In the past.
Nosler 300wm is mostly all I have ever bought and yes it is made by Norma but I believe it is further processed as in weight sorted chamfered and debured and ready right out of the box.
I used the 308win brass also Norma for a while as well before switching to Lapua Palma.

Nosler 300wm is mostly all I have ever bought and yes it is made by Norma but I believe it is further processed as in weight sorted chamfered and debured and ready right out of the box.
I used the 308win brass also Norma for a while as well before switching to Lapua Palma.

I have compared Nosler and Norma side by side (300RUM). The only difference is the weight sorting and head stamp. I just don’t want to do all the weight sorting and culling.

Reactions: XLR308
@stilts75 How long have you been waiting? Why didn’t you buy what you needed earlier in the year or last year when supplies where still relatively plentiful?

Even sans Covid/riots, these shortages have occurred every election year for the past 20 years and have been getting worse each subsequent election cycle, with this being the worst I’ve ever seen it.

When the getting is good, I stock up in volumes sufficient to support my normal consumption patterns for at least 4 years. It’s just basic supply chain mgmt to ensure I can keep shooting regardless of the usual cycles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foul Mike
I have compared Nosler and Norma side by side (300RUM). The only difference is the weight sorting and head stamp. I just don’t want to do all the weight sorting and culling.

That's why I initially paid more for the Nosler/Norma since there is no need to sort shit just pull it from the box prime it and load it.
If Lapua would have made 300wm brass I would have ended up there, I even considered buying a case of RWS ammo and pulling the bullets and loading that.

Reactions: stilts75
@stilts75 How long have you been waiting? Why didn’t you buy what you needed earlier in the year or last year when supplies where still relatively plentiful?

Even sans Covid/riots, these shortages have occurred every election year for the past 20 years and have been getting worse each subsequent election cycle, with this being the worst I’ve ever seen it.

When the getting is good, I stock up in volumes sufficient to support my normal consumption patterns for at least 4 years. It’s just basic supply chain mgmt to ensure I can keep shooting regardless of the usual cycles.

I got this rifle in trade right before all this started and it was sent will a lot of brass, just different brands. I like to stick with on brand.

Why weight sort? Where is most of the weight in a case? It's the head with small variations in the rim area where the weight doesn't matter as much.

Very beneficial podcast by our own @BLKWLFK9 and Erik Cortina.

I got this rifle in trade right before all this started and it was sent will a lot of brass, just different brands. I like to stick with on brand.

If acquired beforehand, you had time to purchase what you needed. On the other hand, if Nosler brass availability has always this sketchy irrespective of current events (I don’t know if it is or not as I never use Nosler), I’d switch to brands that are less risky supply-wise. Maybe one of the ones you received in trade.

Why weight sort? Where is most of the weight in a case? It's the head with small variations in the rim area where the weight doesn't matter as much.

I agree with the sorting comment if you start with quality brass to begin with, buy 500 or a 1000 pieces of Winchester or Remington brass and that argument is out the window atleast IMO.
That's not to say they don't make quality brass it just has to much variation in volume to not be sorted for some type of shooting.

LJ. Thank You,
Wow, very informative. Long ,but great stuff.
I don’t think that Nosler (or Norma) is comparable to Lapua brass in actual brass quality or Factory prep. ADG is the only manufacture available that’s a higher quality in 7RM. I do believe there are lots of things that can be cut out of the process if your using premium brass. I see Nosler as middle of the pack.

Maybe it is time to switch to a premium quality brass and redo the LD process.....

Reactions: LeftyJason
LJ. Thank You,
Wow, very informative. Long ,but great stuff.
I don’t think that Nosler (or Norma) is comparable to Lapua brass in actual brass quality or Factory prep. ADG is the only manufacture available that’s a higher quality in 7RM. I do believe there are lots of things that can be cut out of the process if your using premium brass. I see Nosler as middle of the pack.

Maybe it is time to switch to a premium quality brass and redo the LD process.....

When I consider jumping to a new caliber the first thing I look for is if Lapua brass is available.

It would be awesome if they made it again in 300 WM actual 284 Win!

Reactions: stilts75