• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s with FFS

GrantB

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Louisiana
Looked at FFS’s site and it says no longer available for purchase. What’s changed

Blaine is closing down, Windows Mobile is now hard to get on a new device and he does not want to recode for Android or iOS. We are working with him to get the license transferred so sales can continue and we will move to an Android platform. Might take a few months to work out, be we are pretty sure we will be back online soon.

Thanks. Will there still be support for the existing system or will we have to transfer to the new one. Blaine and FFS was excellent to work with but I understand the situation.

I can actually offer support on the current version, we will continue to offer that so long as WM computers are available. Updating will be an option, but other than a lack of machines, there's no compelling reason to go to Android.

Cory: I am trying to track down a AA battery pack for the Nomad and seems like they are no longer available.

Hi,

@ZiaHunter
Would something like this be of any help to you?
1619721446322.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Downtown
I've been contemplating this happening for some time. Over the years, try as I might, I just can't get into using smart phones or tablets out in the field, and just prefer the Nomad with its stylus and tactile buttons. And it goes without saying that most phones/tablets can't handle the weather (cold/hot/rain/snow) anywhere near the way the Nomad does.

Reactions: aam and ZiaHunter
Yea the batteries are a concern and mine has dead pixels on the screen and just not as bright as I once remember

I've been contemplating this happening for some time. Over the years, try as I might, I just can't get into using smart phones or tablets out in the field, and just prefer the Nomad with its stylus and tactile buttons. And it goes without saying that most phones/tablets can't handle the weather (cold/hot/rain/snow) anywhere near the way the Nomad does.
The market has plenty of true milspec Android devices available in many form factors to satisfy almost every possible use so there is no reason for still trying to resuscitate Windows Mobile which Microsoft itself sent to the graveyard so many years ago. As a former user of both FFS and CB on a Nomad I never looked back when smartphones arrived. Nowadays I'm a happy Genesis user.

Reactions: Dogtown
The market has plenty of true milspec Android devices available in many form factors to satisfy almost every possible use so there is no reason for still trying to resuscitate Windows Mobile which Microsoft itself sent to the graveyard so many years ago. As a former user of both FFS and CB on a Nomad I never looked back when smartphones arrived. Nowadays I'm a happy Genesis user.
Ill be stoked When FFS comes to android. Ill be able to run FFS and Genesis on my android device and other stuff on the ios devices for data analysis with CB at home on the desktop. I may phase out FFS eventally but i still like it. but Genesis will be my go to.

Reactions: LastShot300
Ill be stoked When FFS comes to android. Ill be able to run FFS and Genesis on my android device and other stuff on the ios devices for data analysis with CB at home on the desktop. I may phase out FFS eventally but i still like it. but Genesis will be my go to.
When it does i just hope it will still play nice with the plrf and 4500

Reactions: Dogtown
Yeah that's a bummer. The PLFR integration with Nomad/FFS combo has been a great feature.

As mind boggoling good and how many serious shooters have the plrf or vector in surprised no one has made something that plays nice.

BT is a major PITA. I use the cable interface and have no personal interest in using BT, just not worth the effort. I’ve got two BT dongles that I can’t get to work with anything,

One of the dev engineers I work with always refers to BT as “shitty WiFi.” Sure, the cables are more reliable, but I really dig the integrated trigger.