• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s your favorite rifle length Hand-guard?

demolitionman

Send’r Bud
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Midwest
I’m piecing an AR together to shoot long range. I plan on using a heavy barrel about 22” or 24” long with an Optic. So far my research has led me to two handguards; the BCM ALPHA 15”, and the SEEKINS SP3r 15”. Gun will be shot primarily prone. I’m also putting gas block clearance inside the tube as an important factor. It seems the BCM has the largest gas block clearance I have found yet. Anyone else have a favorite handguard that maybe I haven’t checked out yet? I’m not around a lot of gas guns so I’m not sure what are the goto hand guards for an SPR.

My favorite one right now is the yhm smooth freefloat. I’ve got one on an 18” barrel and another on a 22” barrel. It looks good on the 18”. On the 22” barrel I should have went 15”. Look at the tj comp series from yankee hill. Also as far as gas block clearance just run a jp low pro adjustable and be done with it. I have 4 with 3 different handgaurds and absolutely no problems.

If weight isn’t a big concern, the Geiselle is ROCK SOLID, and has quite a bit of clearance. They are designed in such a way that rotation is not going to happen. Super solid. They aren’t light, but in an SPR/DMR application, shouldn’t be an issue.
Another one to look at that is very solid, tons of room, yet extremely light is the Lancer rails. They are wrapped carbon fiber, insanely strong, yet very light. Those are a couple choices I have on different guns that have both worked very well.

Reactions: TexLuke
I like the Aero Precision M5E1 on my LR308 style rifle. It has the nose of the receiver enlarged to make a handguard mounting point that connects with 8 screws. The barrel nut is steel but the threads are male instead of female.

It's just a really solid connection, only monolithic would be stronger but as AR handguards go, the Aero Precision M5E1 and their AR15 sized version are pretty cheap.

You do need to buy a matching handguard and upper and on the M5E1 I suggest a matching lower too.

Some of the expensive handguards out there cost more than an Aero upper and handguard which I think is funny because they are pretty much always limited by the way they mount to the barrel nut.

I would have to see something pretty special to go any other way.

I like the MI g3 rails. I have 2. Solid, look good, small profile, easy to install, no timing. Process to quality is great with them IMO. Can't go wrong with BCM or Geiselle.

Last edited:
If it's intended use is precision, go with an upper that has a reverse barrel nut design with the beefed up mounting point that the forarm connets directly to. Mega Arms (mml & mkm), Seekins and Aero Precision all have these available.

Reactions: demolitionman
You should REALLY check out the Nordic NC-2 hand guard. I have one on my SPR and love it. Two of my main concerns when looking for a handguard was clearing an adjustable gas block and if possible having enough internal clearance for my suppressor to fit inside if desired. I ended going with a 15 inch handguard and an 18 inch White Oak Armament SPR barrel so the suppressor is not located inside the hand guard. With that said my suppressor does fit inside when test fitting since the diameter of the suppressor is 1.5 in and the inside diameter of NC-2 handguard is 1.75 in.

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-2-free-float-hand-gaurds/

For what it's worth, I liked the rifle length so much that I bought a pistol length later when I built my .300 BLK

I’ve always liked the handguard a from SLR and the 15.5” and 17” ones from JP too. Seekins are also solid!

I’m piecing an AR together to shoot long range. I plan on using a heavy barrel about 22” or 24” long with an Optic. So far my research has led me to two handguards; the BCM ALPHA 15”, and the SEEKINS SP3r 15”. Gun will be shot primarily prone. I’m also putting gas block clearance inside the tube as an important factor. It seems the BCM has the largest gas block clearance I have found yet. Anyone else have a favorite handguard that maybe I haven’t checked out yet? I’m not around a lot of gas guns so I’m not sure what are the goto hand guards for an SPR.
You should look into the 18”one from Midwest industries. I have it on an RPR here:

1D4EEE1C-A8A1-4B48-BC33-4F6DFBD5D7F5.jpeg

JL billet 17” angled cut. 11.8 oz with barrel nut. 1.362 id on ar15. Ar10 17.2” 14oz with barrel nut and 1.525 id.
73E6D045-B619-4782-9054-01E18DC4D5FB.png

If weight isn’t a big concern, the Geiselle is ROCK SOLID, and has quite a bit of clearance. They are designed in such a way that rotation is not going to happen. Super solid. They aren’t light, but in an SPR/DMR application, shouldn’t be an issue.
Another one to look at that is very solid, tons of room, yet extremely light is the Lancer rails. They are wrapped carbon fiber, insanely strong, yet very light. Those are a couple choices I have on different guns that have both worked very well.
+1. I actually don't think they are that heavy, but I guess I have been comparing it to heavier stuff I've owned. I have an MCX handguard from MI that is pretty nice too.

For barrel nut mounting systems: BCM, Larue, KAC, Geissele or ALG Defense. Do some research on top mounted vs bottom mounted bolts on AR hand guards, also "pinching clamp" style mounting should be researched as well. For proprietary systems, a monolithic one piece VLTOR (although finding one these oldie's would be a chore) or LArue's PredatAR. I'd like to try one of Daniel Defense's rails, but they don't offer it outside of a complete rifle purchase.

https://algdefense.com/rails.html
https://geissele.com/upper-parts/super-modular-rails.html
https://www.bravocompanymfg.com/combat_rails/index.php
https://www.larue.com/category/parts-accessories/handguards/handguards-ar15/
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/

I’m getting a lot of conflicting information online about which gas blocks fit which handguards. The ar15 barrels I keep gravitating to all end up running .936 gas blocks and as such the clearance inside a rifle length handguard is going to be very tight. The last thing I want is a gas block that contacts the handguard. I’m thinking of going to a 12” handguard to get the .936 block out and away from any possible interference. Is this a sound idea? Any of you guys run a shorter guard to clear the gas block? Thanks for all the great replies.

I’m getting a lot of conflicting information online about which gas blocks fit which handguards. The ar15 barrels I keep gravitating to all end up running .936 gas blocks and as such the clearance inside a rifle length handguard is going to be very tight. The last thing I want is a gas block that contacts the handguard. I’m thinking of going to a 12” handguard to get the .936 block out and away from any possible interference. Is this a sound idea? Any of you guys run a shorter guard to clear the gas block? Thanks for all the great replies.
Firstly, what is the height and width of the gas blocks you are looking at? I can tell you that a .750 superlative fits well under my Geissele mk13 as a reference. Is the 936 close to the same OD?

For rifle length, I believe you can run 13" to just be aft of the gas block.

18" barrel, not sure exactly of the handguard length, but the switchblock cannot be under it at all, so it is just behind it

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    701.6 KB · Views: 85
And here is a 13" Geissele, with the gas block just in front of the handguard with maybe ⅛" under it

Attachments

• IMG_2946.JPG
    IMG_2946.JPG
    504.5 KB · Views: 289
The WOA barrel I looking at says 1”
Firstly, what is the height and width of the gas blocks you are looking at? I can tell you that a .750 superlative fits well under my Geissele mk13 as a reference. Is the 936 close to the same OD?
Woa 22” varmint barrels seem to come with a gas block with an OD of 1”.

The WOA barrel I looking at says 1”

Woa 22” varmint barrels seem to come with a gas block with an OD of 1”.
Yeah that is right there with the superlative. I don't know which handguard can accommodate the dimensions of a beefy block like that. Just run the block out in front

I've had really good luck with SLR, the Helix has ID that will except a SLR .936 or a .936 Superlative AGB.

PRI Are another good choice if you like CF and they are Rock Solid.

After that the Geissele is my top pick, I like the long Barrel Nut that requires no timing. The only down side is the the anti rotation tabs can be problem with some heavy walled Upper Receivers.

I've never seen a free float handguard that looked so tight I would worry about fitting a 0.936" gas block in it unless it's some huge aluminum clamp on thing.

A micro gas block like in the drawing should fit fine, it's only about 0.080" bigger on each side.

As far as gas blocks go any micro .936 will fit fine. Now if you want an adjustable I’ve had the srl block and it wouldn’t fit under my handgaurd. The jp adjustable blocks are low profile and .936 diameter. If you want a regular low pro gas block pm me your addy and I’ll send you one I’m not using.

I'd suggest you take a look at ALG defense. Simple no nonsense rail with a solid mounting system and great value.

One thing to consider is how much adjusting will you be doing?

If you're going to be running suppressed then unsuppressed or adjusting the gas block often you may want it in front of hand guard for ease of access. Sometimes it all works out with clearances then you assemble everything and the angle to adjust gas block is just plain terrible.

If you are going to "set and forget" it this may not be an issue

I started a 6.5CM gasser build about 2 months ago. I went with the ZEV AR10 upper/lower with their matching 16.6" wedge lock rail. The quality of the receiver set/rail is top notch. I initially went with a JP adjustable gas block but that didn't workout because the adjustment is on the side and the rail blocked the key hole for the adjustment. I picked up a SLR adjustable gas block and it fits perfectly. Below is a mock up pic prior to installing SLR (still waiting on my precision armament accu-washers:

kmHjuI4l.jpg

Nice rifle

This is what I was referring to and options like the SLR can remedy it by having access on front.

I’m not hijacking your thread but I’m in the same boat as you @demolitionman. Building an AR with a heavy barrel with a .936 gas block and having a hard time finding a rail to cover it up. I initially wanted a Geissele. I have a thread that some members posted in that referenced some rails that had I.D of 1.75”. I also found one from Midwest Industries that looks like it might fit and I don’t think it has to be timed like the Geissele. I have a MI rail on one of my other AR’s and I really like it.
F28C7C3E-3DE9-414B-AE6D-DBDC46369269.png

I went with the Midwest Industries SP series 15" length handguard. Should be an absolute no brainer for whatever combination bull barrel + .936 gas block I go with, adjustables included. Thanks for the tip on those. Looks like Aero has a suppressor style one as well but I couldn't find it in stock.

Any suggestions for a rifle length handguard that will also fit with an A2 FSB? Wanted a Giessele Mk8 but Giessele said I’d have to notch out the rail to fit, and I don’t want to do that. Their Mk7 NM rail will fit, but it weighs a hefty 20oz.

Any suggestions? Wanting to mount a BCM VFG, Light, Atlas Bipod, and a sling.

The Wilson Combat T.R.I.M. rail is my favorite, they are light weight solid and highly adaptable.
I believe they are now offering them in the m-lok and keynod pattern now.