• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What’s your go to hunting knife? (Winkler or Barkriver, Battle Horse??)

Carlos0311B4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2007
Arizona
I’m giving my wife a Christmas list ?

I’m wanting a new fixed blade hunting knife this year. I would like to keep it under $200 and US made.

I’ve kindof narrowed it down to:
Bark River- Fox River or Gunny 3v
Battle Horse- Patriot Scout
Winkler- Blue Ridge Hunter ($300 more of a want)
Considering: R&N Blades (Australia)

I’ve found really good reviews on RN and Bark River but very little on the Winkler and BH as hunting knives.

I would like to be able use it for small camp tasks and dress an elk (if possible. If I get drawn, next year i want to do a solo hunt).

Anyone have experiences with the ones I mentioned? I would also consider others.

Thanks

Screw Benchmade.

I personally have a bark river gunny and it's excellent. My favorite though is the bark river Canadian special much better knife for hunting/skinning imo.

Looking on the cheaper side of things I recently picked up a tops msk (you would probably want the scandi trekker I have it also and is equally good just bigger) and I'm really liking the scandi grind for just about everything (except skinning lol). Great price though on a good knife as long as you don't mind 1095.

Last edited:
Can you go threw a complete deer without resharpening with the Gunny?
No problem at all.
No issues with my gunny. I did get a bravo 1 1st production run on this site some time back its a little bigger and a favorite of mine also.

I have skinned a few animals with the gunny, I do like the Canadian special better just for personal ergonomics sharpness or keeping it is not an issue with any of my barks though.

Reactions: rippit
Thanks. I did look at TOPS but nothing really caught my eye. Funny how in somethings I don’t what rhey look like as long as they function, and others looks get a vote. Like some one elsewhere said first world problems ??‍♂️

The tops scandi trekker is a lot of knife for the money, quality is not in same league as the barks but neither is the price. My gunny is cocobolo wood and beautiful.... It's well used but looks like new lol. The gunny is a dream to carry but in my eyes is a little inferior to the bravo 1. The Bravo 1 is beefier and feels better in my hand, if you have bigger hands you owe it to hold the bravo before you buy. The Bravo will skin fine but it's a little thicker so if some bushcraft was needed it would excel. It In cpm154 or elmax would be amazing. The Canadian special is either your favorite knife or you hate iit (i love it best skinning knife ever... Not the best bushcraft). You need to find a dealer to handle them in person.

There is a reason why the Canadian special is the owner of Bark rivers favorite knife ?

(get it in 3v)

Last edited:
If you don’t mind folders it’s hard to beat a Zero Tolerance. Holds an edge like nobodies business. Best folder I’ve ever owned.

Also, these Silver Stags are nice blades in your price range as well.

Reactions: Wyzrd
Dave Canterbury makes some great 1095 knives for about 100 bucks they will take a beating and sharpen back very fast. Fiddleback forge and swampfox knives are the same way but more expensive. Busse and survive knives are strong as hell but hard to sharpen, and I can sharpen. The Japan made carbon v cold steels were nice, Nora garberg is real nice I keep a 4 inch carbon knife with me when hunting for normal stuff but the actual work I use a havalon and I keep a smooth steel so I can get the most from it. I don’t think there is anything better.

Havalon is pretty cool if your hunting in the city or you don't mind carrying two knives. Where I hunt if you was to have an injury or an accident you better have a knife that can do some bush work. You ain't going to have cell service and it may be awhile before they find your remains.

Havalon is amazing for skinning stuff back at the barn or in the campsite you really can't get better for that task and the price is right.

Havalon is pretty cool if your hunting in the city or you don't mind carrying two knives. Where I hunt if you was to have an injury or an accident you better have a knife that can do some bush work. You ain't going to have cell service and it may be awhile before they find your remains.

Havalon is amazing for skinning stuff back at the barn or in the campsite you really can't get better for that task and the price is right.
That’s similar to what I’m planning on doing next year. Trying to go deeper backpack style. Want the fixed blade to back up the havalon.
Just looked at the Canterbury knives the scorpion looks good. First time I’ve herd of them. I’ll keep them in mind.

Does anyone have experience with winkler?

Thanks. I did look at TOPS but nothing really caught my eye. Funny how in somethings I don’t what rhey look like as long as they function, and others looks get a vote. Like some one elsewhere said first world problems ??‍♂️

I own the larger Tops Tracker. It goes with me when I’m in the back country. Built tough and an awesome chopper. Not so much as a skinner but I use my Zero Tolerance folder for that.

I don't think working n animals would be enhanced with the coatings a lot of Tops knives have.

Get a blade that doesn't have some sort of spray/bake coating.

Reactions: Wyzrd and HogsLife
Other than the Winkler I’m looking for uncoated blades. I just looked up 3 dog Knives MAK. I think I’ll add that one to the highly possible list.

I would go with the winkler. I have a Utility model with the rubber handle and it’s very well made.

Spyderco South Fork is my go-to for literally everything. S90V steel is amazing, holds a great edge and not very difficult to sharpen with a diamond stone and some diamond spray strops. I use it in the kitchen, for bbq/smoking, meat prep, food prep, everything. Hoping to use it on 4 elk and a couple deer this fall. I like it so much that I picked up its smaller brother the Sprig as well. I think Spyderco May have discontinued the model, but you can still find them around.

Spyderco South fork is a crazy nice knife at $200 now they sell used for $350+ better options in that price range.

I miss mine terribly.

I have been using White River Knives for a few years now. The caper is my favorite all around knife by far. Owned a lot of blades and the White River Knives impressed me so much that's all that's in my hunting packs now.

I’m giving my wife a Christmas list ?

I’m wanting a new fixed blade hunting knife this year. I would like to keep it under $200 and US made.

I’ve kindof narrowed it down to:
Bark River- Fox River or Gunny 3v
Battle Horse- Patriot Scout
Winkler- Blue Ridge Hunter ($300 more of a want)
Considering: R&N Blades (Australia)

I’ve found really good reviews on RN and Bark River but very little on the Winkler and BH as hunting knives.

I would like to be able use it for small camp tasks and dress an elk (if possible. If I get drawn, next year i want to do a solo hunt).

Anyone have experiences with the ones I mentioned? I would also consider others.

Thanks

My favorite is the Gene Ingram Lite Hunter. Mine is in D2, but if doing it again would go with S30V for better corrosion resistance.

John

For hunting, look into Knives of Alaska. I got one about 8 years ago from an Elk hunter and have probably helped gut, skin, quarter and debone, easily over 50 elk, probably closer to 100 with the Alpha Wolf. Awesome ergonomics, size, and design. I've got Havlon, Benchmade, Gerber, etc. and the KOA comes out first everytime... I currently use the Alpha Wolf, and Elk Hunter. Personally I feel the Alpha Wolf is the pinnacle design for my liking, I have one configured with the D2 blade and the sure grip handle, as well as the Alpha Wolf with the S30V and G10 Handle. I have not had one issue with the D2, amazing how long the edge holds and it only takes about 3 minutes to get her back to shaving the hair off your arm. Look into them.

Gene does make some dang nice knives thats for sure. Me, I think I'll have this one along this year, its one I recently had done by David Winston who IMHO is one of the best. Its his model 92 in S30V, should be good to have along on my antelope hunt:)
414001135.jpg

414001139.jpg

Damn! The Ingram dropped hunter looks about perfect. The Winston model 45 looks good also. Both a little above what I want to spend. The James Brand Hell Gap looks damn good but again more than what I want to spend ?.

Appreciate all the input! You are making the decision harder though ?

The Winston #45 is a nice one - I have his model 43 which is similar only the back of the handle/scales are a bit different. As far as the cost, you can find them for sale on 24hrcampfire for a good deal sometimes, often never used and for less than his new prices. This model 43 with orange scales and a tapered tang was under $200 when I recently bought it - its never been used or carried so a good deal IMHO.
414269968.jpg

In all honesty the knife that goes with me to the woods more than any other is my esee 4. I love my barks... my esee though literally has saved my life before. Mine looks like shit but it's sharp enough to shave, it's batoned more logs than most of my axes. I have driven it into trees to use as a step or to hang things from or even use as a fulcrum. It is the very definition of abused. Its skinned pretty much any creature that moves around in the Tennessee woods. If I need to I can sharpen it on a river rock and have before. Its the best $100 I have ever spent. Its not the best skinning knife, and yes it's 1095 so you need to oil it. It will get you home though and you pair it with a $40 havalon and you still have money in your pocket.

Winkler Knives are the real deal, I've bought the Belt Knife and Woodsman. Saw them in a showcase close to his shop in WNC and was impressed, and am even more impressed now with them after years of use.

Winkler knives is about 45m from me and I agree his work is a work of art, I just never seen the need to put that much money into a working knife. But I agree his work is amazing and his knives are top notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: kabarNC
I have 2 bark rivers and 3rd in the way. Awesome knives. Sharp and so many options to choose. Cant go wrong with a bark river knife.

Ended up with a Bark River Ext-1 in Cru-Wear. Not mine it’s my 10yr old daughter’s. Her early Christmas present. Hopefully she uses it in November on a deer or lion. Thankfully she said I can use it until I get mine. Before and after pics with a bit of soldering iron work. Her name, zodiac symbol and rose, her birth month flower. The Hogue folder for comparison and the Cedar is for a DIY strop.

Attachments

• 202D10FE-821A-4801-A75D-74E2DDD0292A.jpeg
    202D10FE-821A-4801-A75D-74E2DDD0292A.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 223
  • A3D84A58-AD39-4EF9-AEDD-37AD43B13072.jpeg
    A3D84A58-AD39-4EF9-AEDD-37AD43B13072.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 6765F7F3-AF9C-47A8-9123-ECBD7F08E65C.jpeg
    6765F7F3-AF9C-47A8-9123-ECBD7F08E65C.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 359199DD-188E-445F-93F7-E37EDB39B69E.jpeg
    359199DD-188E-445F-93F7-E37EDB39B69E.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 106
  • A321EE2C-B7DA-47DA-8219-9F138B9F51BB.jpeg
    A321EE2C-B7DA-47DA-8219-9F138B9F51BB.jpeg
    784.2 KB · Views: 140
Bravo 1.0 and 1.5 they have done great jobs on moose and caribou.

mora companion for me.
Before I bought it I sent her some pictures who she could pic.
Her reply was: “dad, as long as it’s a good knife for what we need it to do the looks of it are not important. (My first though HELL YEAH! That’s my girl!)
Well, I almost got a Gunny Hunter in A2. I guess you could consider it a “regular knife”. But before I clicked buy I thought “its for my daughter It has to be more than just “regular”.
if it was for me A2, 440C, O1 are fine. She has to have something “better”.

now her little sister is asking “where is my knife?” She’s getting an ext-1 with black Micarta, when her time comes.

We had a good thread going on this topic on the LT Wright Knives forum. I hunt caribou and deer here in AK, and have settled on the LT Wright bandit for what you describe. Key for me was the belly angle for good skinning without reducing its performance for other tasks.

Attachments

• F5F19CBD-039E-4918-955C-0E7A10FE3FAB.jpeg
    F5F19CBD-039E-4918-955C-0E7A10FE3FAB.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 5BB8C533-3976-4A0D-9789-8D8D25D777E5.jpeg
    5BB8C533-3976-4A0D-9789-8D8D25D777E5.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 71
Hard to beat the Havalon for processing game. I get 2 hogs out of a blade. It does require a 2nd knife for camp work, but hard to beat the precision cuts with the Havalon
Bob

Love some Bark River and Winkler blades! They make quality blades for the $. For my hunting though, I usually will bring either a Gerber or Havalon with the replaceable blades for all the work on the critters, and a Cold Steel SRK for everything else. I also use Knives of Alaska and an old Ken Onion designed Boker knife for game.

They aren't as sexy as what I'm seeing in the posts here, but I've been using an Outdoor Edge Flip n Zip on my belt and the Wild Guide three piece set with a caper, skinner, and small saw in my pack. They work great and you'd be about $125 all in.

The Ingram combo just plain works.
The Dozier went through 3 mule deer, one antelope and two cow elk two years ago.