• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What 1911shoulder holster?

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
I'm gonna get a snazzy horizontal shoulder holster for my 1911 this coming birthday. What are the top choices?

(I have most other styles so no need for other than shoulder suggestions.)

Thanks.

Re: What 1911shoulder holster?

If you want to do Miami Vice, you have to go Galco.

But really, what do you intend to use a shoulder holster for? I tried one briefly many years ago, but I found it not very practical for concealed carry.

Sonny Crockett:) woo hoo, Shoulder holsters are not so great for everyday carry I would stick to a good IWB/OWB rig that you can draw and shoot with.

Like I said In the OP:

I have paddle holsters, IWB holsters, tactical/duty holsters etc.

I just want a shoulder holster for like umm.... wet wading a river trout fishing- to keep the piece high & dry- odd outdoorsey stuff like that...

Check out the M7 military 1911 shoulder holster, not a quick draw rig, but one to secure a pistol while doing the fly fishing, wading etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Like I said In the OP:

I just want a shoulder holster for like umm.... wet wading a river trout fishing- to keep the piece high & dry- odd outdoorsey stuff like that... </div></div>

TresMon,
I'm tracking now. Sounds like a Kydex rig would be best. I have no personal experience but have read positive reviews on Survival Sheath Systems chest rigs.
http://www.survivalsheath.com/main/home.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Like I said In the OP:

I just want a shoulder holster for like umm.... wet wading a river trout fishing- to keep the piece high & dry- odd outdoorsey stuff like that... </div></div>

TresMon,
I'm tracking now. Sounds like a Kydex rig would be best. I have no personal experience but have read positive reviews on Survival Sheath Systems chest rigs.
http://www.survivalsheath.com/main/home.htm </div></div>

so have i and i'm going to order one for the same purpose you are. (well kinda the same purpose)

TresMon,
I'm having John Ralston @ 5 Shot Leather build a Chest Type Holster for my 329 PD. Similar to a Tanker Holster but a different angle for easier draw and a thumb snap. John built a proto type and sent it to me for fitting, Customer Service at its finest. If you have an idea of what you want give him a call and he can make it happen for you.
Mike

I have a Miami Vice/Galco/Jackass shoulder holster. For what it is, it does a credible job.

I don't own a kydex shoulder holster but I definitely prefer kydex over leather for waist carry.

The majority of the REMFs in SWA carry their sidearm in a shoulder holster for the same reason the majority of all bartenders think the proper way to mix a martini is to shake it: Ian Fleming was an imbecile.

I find the 007 shoulder holster carry only slightly more comfortable than placing the slide in the crack of my ass and walking with my butt cheeks clinched. OTOH, I also have crawled all over tanks and APCs and helicopters while wearing a tanker's shoulder holster. That's definitely a better way of doing business. El Paso Saddlery makes a very nice "tanker's style" shoulder holster. Especially for active outdoor carry, I think that would be vastly preferable to the James Bond carry.

Alessi makes excellent holsters ... A feature to look for is for the holster to cover the entire slide , so the front sight doesn't snag when drawn , and the pistol prints less when holstered .

Now I'm getting great feedback.

Thanks guys. I'm going to follow up on all your suggestions...

http://www.lawmanleathergoods.com/

I came across these guys. The whole concept of it being resistant to everything is nice, but I'm kinda wary about it.

Still there aren't that many choices for a shoulder holster.

Ditto on the Tanker-style shoulder holster.

Some of the supertards who ought never have been issued a pistol have taken to wearing their vertical-carry shoulder holsters inside out (the smooth side of the leather against the body) so their pistol hangs at an awkward angle on the strong side. Pretty much everyone wears them loosely flopping around like a partly-detached bra. Nothing screams "fobbit" like a shoulder holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nothing screams "fobbit" like a shoulder holster. </div></div>
It goes well with a crisp uniform.
smirk.gif

Tres,
I have been using the Eagle tanker holster built for the 1911 a couple of months now. Took it scouting some fishing holes on a mountain stream this weekend. I am loving it more each time I take it out. They are half price at cheaper than dirt right now. Mine came labled made in USA. I bought it looking for something I could hike/fish/shoot comps, and carry a pistol without beating it up in. I have been able to shoot prone without jamming the butt in the ground very hard. It comes only in multi cam from them, but can be had in OD/tan from Eagle I think.

I've used the Bianchi X-15 a bit, the medium size carries 4-5" full size autos as well as 4" service revolvers.

+1 on Alessi. I went to thier shop and ordered a vertical shoulder rig. I wanted a chest rig for hunting hiking etc. - and was talked out of it due to falling on it. I asked about horizontal / vertical and they make both. Horizontal will (may) tend to stick out more on the front and back due to the length of the gun. The one I ordered also will do 5" - 3" 1911's.

When shown the way the carrier for the gun rotates forward to facilitate drawing - it made a ton of sense to me, I had thought it had to be pulled up into your armpit.

One other positive... when you invest in a complete shoulder rig, you can just add additional gun portion to the existing rig set up saving money.

Mike

IMO for a 'dressy" 1911 shoulder holster rig, there is none better than a Mitch Rosen rig. Made like the seat on a Rolls Royce. I do not use it much, but nice to just look at. I do use a WW11 vintage USMC rig. Secure, vertical, ties down no flopping. This is what I carry when I take a .45 outdoors and cannot have an AR with me.. Mostly I carry the AR.

I have had good luck with Galco but others mentioned are just as good if not better

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the M7 military 1911 shoulder holster, not a quick draw rig, but one to secure a pistol while doing the fly fishing, wading etc. </div></div>

This is what I've used for many years.