• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What 22 can to get.

GrantB

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Louisiana
I have a spectra 2 but it seems like every time I need it my son is using it so I need to get another one. It will be used on 22 rifles and pistols and a 17 so magnum capability is a must. Of course the golden can will not have a frp, quite, and relatively cheap. I’ve purchased all my cans through a friend but he no longer does it so any recommendations on a dealer would help also. I haven’t purchased anything nfa related since the big changes a few years ago. Thanks

Dead Air Mask HD gets my vote. It's full-auto rated for .22LR, .22 Mag, .17 HMR, and 5.7x28. I love mine. Everything, except the tube, is made of 17-4 stainless, so you can clean everything (except the tube) in an ultrasonic cleaner. Makes cleaning it 1000x easier.

I got all mine through Silencer Shop. Their kiosk system storing your fingerprints and data makes buying cans SUPER easy and fast. You renew your picture once a year, and I think your FP every couple years, but there are kiosks everywhere, so it's super simple to update your info.

Here's a quick thread showing groups shot with it on...

Here's a quick video of mine. With subsonic ammo, you don't even hear anything behind the gun, just the pin drop and a small POOF sound from the muzzle. You hear more beside it and downrange, than you hear shooting it and behind it. Literally, cycling the action is as loud as the muzzle report with subsonic ammo. It's as close to "Hollywood quiet" as you can get.

Last edited:
SiCo Sparrow is good. Easy to clean. Handles FA but 17 HMR may be the max so check that.

I'm not for holding out. Get the wait started. I was going to buy a Takedown or a Mask. The TBAC was the one in stock at that moment. I don't think I gave up anything by not waiting.

Dead Air Mask.

Always. It's the easy button for 22 cans.

Reactions: FuhQ
Dead Air Mask.

Always. It's the easy button for 22 cans.
It's probably the most robust .22LR can on the market, and it's very quiet for its size with no FRP. What's not to love? 👍🏼

IMPO... Modularity in rimfire cans is kind of overrated. Next income tax return I'll probably be ordering a 2nd Mask HD, and a Nomad-30 to add to the collection.

I love this I am watching my father torture himself with this exact same question except I get to be tortured by all his lists of guns he has looked at and while looking at some guns totally missing others lol I can see his inner cheap grinding and it's a blast to witness , like I mentioned to him tika , voodoo , and I personally love cz , and bergara just to throw another monkey wrench in his moving forward I even mentioned he could buy a stock separate so actions and barrels with his choice of trigger it's all out there and could be yours if only it was not so expensive lol ... sadly he did see that I had gotten him a couple bricks of sk ammo and he is already making plans to waste it .. best of luck to you on your choices and what ever you get .

Looks like dead air is popular, how would you say it compares to the spectra 2. I only got the spectra because sico was running a deal at the time if you bought a can they would throw in the spectra for $99. Couldn’t pass that up.

Looks like dead air is popular, how would you say it compares to the spectra 2. I only got the spectra because sico was running a deal at the time if you bought a can they would throw in the spectra for $99. Couldn’t pass that up.
Well, they're both great cans. But considering that the Mask HD has no discernible FRP (First Round Pop) because of the highly specialized advanced blast baffle design, and the strength of the all 17-4 stainless construction, and Grade 5 titanium tube, I'd probably still go for the Mask HD.

But, the Spectre II was a hell of a can back in its day. Very similar in both weight & size to the Mask HD. And for $99, that's a smoking deal, I probably wouldn't pass that deal up either.

But if there was no deal to be had, and everything was regular pricing, I'd say the Mask HD has the edge, simply based on advanced modern baffle design (no FRP).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronin_64
I have both a TBAC Takedown and a Rugged Oculus sitting in ATFE jail right now. I bought the TBAC first because it is a TBAC and was in stock. After realizing it couldn't handle 17wsm I ordered the Rugged. I do like their dummy proof warranty and having shot both side by side at my dealer I really liked the tone of the Rugged better.

Thanks guys for the input. Yea that was a great deal and it’s been a great can but that was years ago and they’ve learned how to make better ones today. I think I’ll get the dead air.

Reactions: Ronin_64 and FuhQ
Thanks guys for the input. Yea that was a great deal and it’s been a great can but that was years ago and they’ve learned how to make better ones today. I think I’ll get the dead air.
You won’t regret it. It’s a great can. 👍🏼

I'll agree, the DA Mask is a no brainer. I've got one, along with a Rugged Oculus & Q El Camino. I've not done any real testing between the 3, but with subsonic .22LR they're all Hollywood quiet on the Ruger Mark IV's and 10/22 builds. Pick any one of the 3, with the DA Mask being the choice if It's the only other rimfire can on your horizon. They all clean up fantastic (baffles) using the CLR dip method for me. I would never buy a rimfire can with aluminum baffles for this very reason...

Carry on

2v2H4othdx9T3R.jpg

2v2aBLkLNx9T3R.jpg

2v2H8S7kNx9T3R.jpg

2v2aZsde8x9T3R.jpg

Last edited:
Do I need to get the 1/2x28 thread spacer with the dead air mask
Thread spacer? I wouldn't think so. I haven't ran any on any of mine. Most 1/2x28 .22LR threads are pretty short (+/- 1/2" long).

The thread tennon on the Christensen Arms Ranger 22 is pretty long (5/8") for a .22LR, and it does slightly stick into the can beyond the threads (not by much), but it doesn't affect anything. No different than direct threading onto a centerfire rifle. 👍🏼