• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What .22 LR Ammo is Showing Up These Days???

Grump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2008
So. Utah
Everything here is still showing up only once a week, if that, at local retailers instead of 1-3x/week depending on what they are ordering.

What they receive is up from 1/3 of usual to about 1/2 the usual number of cartons per shipment.

It's all gone in an hour or two.

About three months ago, we had a "blip" of availability at one LGS, which had some super-bulk carry cans of like 1100 or 1400 rounds, which they counted as one "box". I personally saw the last one on its way to the cash register. Price was like $110. Think it was Remington.

I'm seeing some on-line sources popping up, but I'm wondering about regional differences. I'm also wondering if some regions are getting more, per shooter population or total population, than others.

I've always hated ordering rimfire online, and prefer to support my LGS or even Wally World with those purchases. But I can't do that if they never have enough for more than the half-dozen buyers who are there when the put it on the shelves.

Most places in my area put a max limit per day per person. But it still runs out quickly.

You just have to keep looking and buy when you can. And combine local puchase with online.

Local DSG had 500ct bricks of CCI SV the other week when I happened to pop in; limit was one per and they did not have them on display. I noticed an open case of Mini-Mags behind the counter and asked the guy about them ($10 per 100, limit one) and he said "We've also got bricks of 500 in the back, also limit one."

I walked in to Walmart this afternoon and lo and behold there was CCI 50 round boxes of ammo for 3.49 each. I about fainted from shock...and then I was a man on a mission to find that nice lady with the key. Bought my three boxes and went home HAPPY. First time I have seen .22 ammo on the shelf in over a year!

Only .22 I have seen lately is subsonic. It's been about 3 months since I found anything at all, I really need CCI mini mags for the wife's pistol and I haven't seen it for over 10 months. I will probably buy a case or two if I ever find it and can buy it in any quantities at all.

Our local wally worlds seem to be getting in very little. I think the workers tip their buds off as there is a line waiting to get the stuff.

I've got about 15,000 rounds since last December from one distributor, it goes quick though and about the only thing you can make some decent money off of. Everything else firearm wise is caught up...

In my area they only stock bulk type ammo anyways, so I have a few websites I visit daily. Brunos Shooting Supplies isone of those and the other day they were showing SK Standard Plus in stock. I ordered two bricks, and didn't hear from them, so I called them. They sid they actually had 5 cases instock. We have a junior shooters club at our local range complaining about not finding ammo for the kids. So, I ordered a case for them. The other cases lasted about 5 days. It's out there, but you have to hunt for it. Also be willing to pay just a bit more than usual.

The local Walmart told my buddy that they get 3 trucks, which may or may not contain ammo, a week and that there is a line at 6am of repeat customers who buy the maximum every day ammunition is stocked.

It's hit or miss at my local cabelas and bass pro. Availability is low and the prices are still high. Some local gun stores have 50 round boxes going for as much as $4-5 and bricks of bulk are as much as $50. Before all this I was primarily a smallbore shooter and spent most of my time on rimfire central. Im also 8 months into my nfa paperwork wait for a silencerco sparrow. I hope to be able to feed it when I finally get it.

Still waiting on my back ordered cases of Federal Bulk pack from Midway and Sportsmans Guide. The orders were place Friday Dec 14, 2012. I was able to snag 1k of CCI Standard velocity when the new Pittsburgh Field & Stream store opened up in August. I'm averaging about 4-6 weeks on my backorded cases of SK/Lapua target ammo. We are only about one year into what will most likely be another 2-3 year drought, sadly.

find a local gunsmith who deals with the major suppliers on a regularly basis and have him put in a request for the ammo My local smith gets called whenever they get some " xxxxxx " .22 in stock and would he be interested in them ?? if is what hes looking for he buys ..I told him I will take all the std. velocity he can get his hands on !!!! I've picked up close to 15k in the last few months this way ..... last purchase was 5k of Aguila Std Vel at $4.20 a box of 50 Vendor told him they Have 20k of High Vel last week / he picked up 10k but I'm passing on it as I like to shoot suppressed mostly

The local Walmart told my buddy that they get 3 trucks, which may or may not contain ammo, a week and that there is a line at 6am of repeat customers who buy the maximum every day ammunition is stocked.

This, word for word, applies at my local Walmart as well. I never can get there in time to be one of those that actually SEES it, but there is a group of people in line every morning after the truck runs who snatch it all up before it ever reaches the shelves. Always the SAME people with nothing else to do. I don't have any proof, but I'm sure they probably turn it over for 4 times the price somewhere else.

My buddy went at opening and said it was a bunch of dudes that were on their way to work, mostly contractors.
They bought all the Federal 36gr bulk boxes they were allowed, 3 ea.
If my friend had bought the bulk 36gr also that would have cleaned out the case that was delivered.
He went with Automatch instead.

Only .22 I have seen lately is subsonic. It's been about 3 months since I found anything at all, I really need CCI mini mags for the wife's pistol and I haven't seen it for over 10 months. I will probably buy a case or two if I ever find it and can buy it in any quantities at all.

Bradu, if you need CCI mini mags I have some. I'm just looking for quality subsonic these days, so I'd be willing to trade for that

I've picked up a box here & there.
CCI mini-mags
Golden Bullets
Federal Auto Match
but it's few & far between, just have happen to be in the right spot at the right time

Haven't seen any at normal prices until very recently. My local Cabelas had mini mags, limit 1 box ($9/100rnd box), and just today my local walmart had winchester super-x 37gr, limit 3 boxes ($6/100rnd box). One of the LGS has had some bulk 22 for a while, but the price is too high for me - good to know it's there though in case I'm desperate to pick some up. Perhaps by christmas it'll be fairly obtainable again.

The guy at the Wally World counter today told me there are still 10+ dudes stacked up at 8am on the mornings they put out their ammo shipments who buy up all the 22lr.

Seems like a little bit of just about anything....

Places that have large amounts are selling by the single box, at 2-3x what it is worth, and usually stuff no one wanted to buy last year - ie Remington/Ely Target, etc.

I have personally seen this...at my local walmart. Most look like retired guys but are slackjawed waiting for the sporting dept to open and start stocking about 10-12 people in a line. I asked one what he was doing he said waiting for ammo. I talked to him for another minute turned out most of them buy it and then sell online for a markup.

I hope i have better things to do when I am retired. hahaha I havent seen 22 ammo in over a year either.

Here in Connecticut, because of the new draconian laws, there is not a ammo dealer in the US that will ship here. Center fire ammo is coming back. No rim fire. I don't understand it. Does anyone have the real truth as to why? I understand the hoarders, but people hoarded before and there was no issue...
I love my Wolf or SK in my Savage MK II. It is almost impossible to find it.

If you ship I would love to order some from you if the price is not to bad. I haven't bought any .22 in over a year and my supply is down to like 10k rounds. I could go through that in a few weeks so I have been cutting back on .22 just hoping it will show up on shelves again

I am like Benito, just took hold of my Sparrow January 1, 2013 and have only got to put 300 rounds through her. That is not to mention through my PWS T3 as well. Just no ammo to shoot. I had quite a bit, but had friends and family that needed ammo, so gave it away to them to help out. Figuring that it will come back in a few months. Now sitting on 1500 rounds and don't want to shoot that unless I need to for anything. This is one of the major reasons why I am switing over to the air rifle side of things. Have a .22 air rifle coming, and been buying up pellets like crazy! Can see them making these things hard to get as well.....with the epa and all those hippy animal lovers.

Starts With said:
Theres no ammo here at all...

Then Comes said:
Have 10k stocked and buy any cases available

Aren't you guys seeing a trend here?

I know it sucks to have an ammunition shortage but honestly, how many rounds do you shoot?

- boingk

All I've seen lately are American Eagles for $50/brick.
I picked up a bunch of Federal 34gr (IIRC) as a backup to the Remington Yellow Jackets that I normally run, and will trade straight across FTF in NCW for the Yellow Jackets if anybody's interested.
Are any of you guys buying in bulk able to get them? I'm about to quit shooting .22 because I haven't even seen them for a couple years, and .22 goes quick in our Oregon rat trips.
PM me a case price please!

1911fan

I'm having no problem obtaining bricks of match grade 22lr, it's the bulk and mid grade 22lr that's scarce.
It doesn't affect me all that much, as range warm up and rodent shootin' gets done with a 22 pellet rifle.
500 rounds of crosman premier hollowpoints still only costs about 9 bucks.
A quality air rifle lets me practice without the expense of wasted ammo.
Also, the T06 trigger on my AirKing, is better than the factory triggers on my CZ's.

Guess I was lucky as Cabelas had 2100 rds of Federal lr HVs in new 50 cal ammo cans for $99 & 10#/1400 rd pails of Remington for $59.I scored 7 cans & 6 buckets & picked them up at the store. Also a bunch of 525 rd Remington golden for $22-23. Gander Mtn just had CCI std vel 50 rd boxes for $1.99 limit 10 so I shipped to store about 50. I should be OK for a bit. I'm going to have a range by spring to get some young people into shooting. Should be fun.

Last edited:
My local WalMart had CCI SV on Sunday the 20th of October. They had perhaps 20-30 boxes of 50. The price was not marked and I did not track down a sales rep as I have plenty of 22LR. Sunday the 27th of October, my local WalMart did not have ant 22LR.

22lr ammo

The guy at the Wally World counter today told me there are still 10+ dudes stacked up at 8am on the mornings they put out their ammo shipments who buy up all the 22lr.

I wandered into my local Wally World a couple of months ago and passing the sporting goods ambled over to see what ammo was on the shelves. Turned out they had just received a shipment and were about to put it up and had a lot of 22lr. There was only one guy in line so I lined up to buy a couple boxes. The guy in front of me filled a shopping cart with every box they had except one, maxed out three credit cards and one of his girl friend's cards. The only reason he did not take the last box was due to being out of available credit. WT-F?

I bought the last box and left. Hoarders do not have unlimited resources. Where is all the 22lr going??? It is good ammo for hunting/survival, but would hardly be first choice for defense, or offense for that matter. So, why is it in such short supply?? I bought a 17HMR just cause I can sometimes find ammo for that.

Irish

There have to be a ton of dudes paying 19.99% APR in order to have closets FULL of Federal bulk packs...for some odd reason or another.

F'ing "preppers" being the worst of the worst, IMO.

Sad part is that when the stupid idiots doing the hoarding go bankrupt, the rest of us tax payers will have to pick up the tab.

Hmm, most Walmarts have limited sales to 3 boxes per day since the spring. At one Walmart last May, my wife was along, and I could buy 3, and she could buy 3, but I could not hand her the money to buy her 3, she had to pay from her purse.

I wonder if he was a friend of the employee selling. Walmart has taken action against some stores and employees who were preferentially selling to friends and family.

It was not so much the preppers, but those buying to resell. You could have probably found that ammo up for sale a few hours later and MUCH inflated prices, on Craigs List or a local shooting forum.

Some Walmarts have been putting stick on tags stating that this product was sold by Walmart and if resold, contact them. Trying to cut down on that.

Last edited:
Craigslist in my area doesn't allow guns or ammo. Though I did find an ad in the Sporting Goods section titled "Three Screw", which read "twenty two by six, heh heh." and a phone number, for $150. I was too late.

1911fan

In this area . Got lots of .17 & .22 mag around .
With some CCI stnd. vel. . and also that CheepAss .22, american eagle & Rem. thunderbolt on the shelves . but I have passed by all of it this year that I have seen and Not Bought ANY of it because I bought and stocked my flavor of .22 while back .

And to beat the mindless hoarding dead horse.
My buddy has stating picking at the mindset of these dudes(and admittedly there with them).
One of the dudes that is there every day said he buys whatever ammo he can get the most of for the amount he has to spend, regardless of caliber, because he doesn't have many guns.
The Tula 7.62x39 he favors, no AK or SKS at home.
Just hoarding, plain and simple.

Loads of .22 I the UK at the moment, no problem at all. Varget on the other hand is completely out and not expected anytime soon.

Guess I was lucky as Cabelas had 2100 rds of Federal lr HVs in new 50 cal ammo cans for $99 & 10#/1400 rd pails of Remington for $59.I scored 7 cans & 6 buckets & picked them up at the store. Also a bunch of 525 rd Remington golden for $22-23. Gander Mtn just had CCI std vel 50 rd boxes for $1.99 limit 10 so I shipped to store about 50. I should be OK for a bit. I'm going to have a range by spring to get some young people into shooting. Should be fun.

Good for you, and that's exactly why no one else finds any, so that's what 25,000-30,000 rounds.

snagged some CCI mini-mags from cabelas, as well as a 300-round box of winny in a cute little chinese-made wooden "crate". also a few hundred rounds of federal .17HMR, before those were sold out too.

gotta love the free shipping, no minimum, ammo included. ;)

Yea it's my fault your too lazy to search it out like I did. Hell I can't even walk thru walmart to sporting goods.Why don't you grow up & quit blaming others for your lack of ambition. Ammo is out there you just have to work a bit harder but looks like work harder doesn't compute with you as "someone owes you everything" well Boo f*cking hoo to you. And no 30,000 isn't even close. BTW I don,t hoard or sell, I introduce people to shooting. So quit whining, grow up & go buy some ammo.There's more now than in over a year.:p

Good for you, and that's exactly why no one else finds any, so that's what 25,000-30,000 rounds.

Yea it's my fault your too lazy to search it out like I did. Hell I can't even walk thru walmart to sporting goods.Why don't you grow up & quit blaming others for your lack of ambition. Ammo is out there you just have to work a bit harder but looks like work harder doesn't compute with you as "someone owes you everything" well Boo f*cking hoo to you. And no 30,000 isn't even close. BTW I don,t hoard or sell, I introduce people to shooting. So quit whining, grow up & go buy some ammo.There's more now than in over a year.:p

You're the one coming on a post asking for if 22 ammo is showing up gloating about how much you've been able to stock while others struggle simple to find enough to plink with. You could have simply said you've been able to find it at various places, but instead you made a trolling post that's clearly trying to taunt people that haven't been able to find any. I was smart enough to keep my ammo stores well stocked before this insanity or the 2008 insanity to insulate myself from people like you that perpetuate the shortages. I could care less if you introduce people to shooting, how many other shooters find bare ammo shelves and can't enjoy the sport because of people like you buying tens of thousands of rounds at a time during a shortage.

I go thru a bunch every year & was just sharing where found it. If your so stocked up & prepared than you must me the hoarder DILHOLE!:p

You're the one coming on a post asking for if 22 ammo is showing up gloating about how much you've been able to stock while others struggle simple to find enough to plink with. You could have simply said you've been able to find it at various places, but instead you made a trolling post that's clearly trying to taunt people that haven't been able to find any. I was smart enough to keep my ammo stores well stocked before this insanity or the 2008 insanity to insulate myself from people like you that perpetuate the shortages. I could care less if you introduce people to shooting, how many other shooters find bare ammo shelves and can't enjoy the sport because of people like you buying tens of thousands of rounds at a time during a shortage.

What a whiner, poor little fella didn't get any ammo for Thanksgiving. Maybe if your a good little boy Santa will get you a 50/ct box of Thunderbolts. See there's hope afterall but you have to be a good litle fella.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
haven't seen the bulk packs (500-550 rnds) in quite some time but can still by two 100 round boxes of CCI all day long.

I got the shipping notification from Midway yesterday that the case of Federal bulk pack ammo I've had on backorder since Dec 14, 2012 FINALLY shipped. :) Now we will see when the case I ordered the same day from Sportman's Guide gets shipped. :p