• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What 223 setup offers the longest mag feed?

Anyone know what the factory Tikka Mags will do? Thinking about doing up a Tikka Varmint in 223.

How long are the longest commercially available heavy projectile ammo? Those that don't reload are limited...would you need an aftermarket magazine if you don't reload?

Not the longest but 2.444" from accurate mag. Very reliable.

These are what I use in my Ruger RPR and they are plenty long enough for the 80 grain ELD with room left to spare. The magazine isn't holding me back at all with seating depths.

These are what I use in my Ruger RPR and they are plenty long enough for the 80 grain ELD with room left to spare. The magazine isn't holding me back at all with seating depths.

But, are you within 0.020" of the lands? Also, you are really restricting powder space in the case if you are loading 80's and they are fitting in a 2.444" long magazine. I load 75 grain AMAX's to 2.403" to put me 0.020" from the lands and that is a compressed load with 25 grains of Varget.

Modified Accurate Mags get to 2.550 as well and feed perfectly.
The mod takes about 20 minutes if you go slow with a round file.

But, are you within 0.020" of the lands? Also, you are really restricting powder space in the case if you are loading 80's and they are fitting in a 2.444" long magazine. I load 75 grain AMAX's to 2.403" to put me 0.020" from the lands and that is a compressed load with 25 grains of Varget.

Yea sorry about that, I forgot that I took a dremel to the front of the magazine to relieve some of the plastic in the front of the mag. I measured and my mag gives me 2.558". With 80 Grain ELD's my OAL is 2.455" just touching the lands in my RPR.

photo71115.jpgphoto71445.jpg Modified 308 magazine, 2.625" COAL. Just bend the lips and slop some epoxy putty on the mag walls.

Yea sorry about that, I forgot that I took a dremel to the front of the magazine to relieve some of the plastic in the front of the mag. I measured and my mag gives me 2.558". With 80 Grain ELD's my OAL is 2.455" just touching the lands in my RPR.

Touching at 2.455"? The rounds I ran through your gun were loaded to 2.530". No wonder they shot like shit.

The AI mags get mixed reviews so I never bothered with them. I bought an Accurate mag but returned it without even using it because I didn't like the design. I've had great luck with the MDT mags, as have my friends. It's easy to get them out to 2.55" with a small round file.

6-7 Depends on how much putty you put on the mag walls.

Just something I've been kicking around.

've got a R700 that started as my primary F-TR rig, then went to my backup, then I got a 223 bolt for it and I use it to shoot 90VLDs in mid range F class matches (it kicks ass). To make a long story short it's on the verge of getting retired from my F class competition stable. I want to put it back into the A-5 that it used to live in many, many yrs ago. It's currently a switch barrel/bolt 223/308 setup with a single feed plate glued in the port. I was thinking that if there was a way to run the 80s or 90s seated the way I do now (i.e., base of the bullet out of the case with the bearing surface ½ way down the neck) it would be a fun setup.

I like the idea of the compound in the AICS. That would be a perfect setup if I could get it to feed.