• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What 22lr for training/fun CZ 455 (model?) or other?

What gun

• RPR Rimfire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
I don't want to drop a ton of money, prefereably $500 or less. I have a scope (vortex pst 4-16 ffp moa) that is sitting in the safe doing nothing.

I am seriously considering the cz 455 "tacticool" varmint (16") or 24" version, depending on what I can get. put a scope on it and shoot it for a year or two before I spend any significant money on it (trigger work as needed)

other options include the cheaper cz 455 "american" for about $100 less, with its thin barrel, and then putting it into a new stock (boyds varmint most likely)

I also considered a heavy barrel ruger 10/22 and a victor company titan stock, but this gets me up in price pretty quick, without a trigger upgrade

I'd love a tikka t1x but they are pre-order/backorder and aftermarket support is unknown (stock options mainly).
I don't want to spend the $ for a voodoo although they are totally awesome in every sense

my goal is to have fun with a decently accurate rimfire, work on fundamentals and positional training, and if a rimfire match every stands up near me - shoot it. eventually I'd like a KRG x-ray chassis for it so i can have a near exact copy of my 308 (mausingfield, 24" rem/varmint)

how would you spend $600 or less on a 22lr to maximize utility and accuracy?

Actively watching for replies. Wanted to ask the same with Ruger Precision rimfire thrown in the mix.

I just got a Tacticool a month ago. It's very accurate but bedding the Tacticool (boyds) stock was a must. Made a big difference in accuracy.

Buy a used 10/22. It's all bolt ons from there, piece at a time.
Thats not my best groups.
I had just changed to cci sv and started with a "clean" barrel.
Much better ammo out there but at 7 cents a round not many.
Too many big blasters next to me rocking the bench to get a cherry picker.
Left the range early due to crowd.

Attachments

• 20180731_165107.jpg
    20180731_165107.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 35
I bought a 455 Tacticool earlier this year and have been very happy with it. I will admit that my Savage MKII is also quite accurate and for roughly $150 less also. The CZ mags are stupid expensive but other than that, I can't complain about anything on it. Ive got several 10/22 also, and then can be very accurate also, but the costs can add up if you start messing with them. If I had to pick between a 455, an MKII and a 10/22, I have no idea which one id pick, they are all great. Im sure that don't help much, but its all I got. You won't be disappointed with any of them.

Thanks for the replies, @Wrongtarget got me thinking about the rprimfire and I got to hold one today. How do they stack up? I have small kids (6 and under) and the length of pull adjustment on the rpr is inviting all with using 10/22 mags

For clarity, I have a 10/22 that the kids can shoot, I just read the rpr rimfire thread and there is lots of talk of “fixing” the gun. I don’t want to “fix” anything, I want a gun they will Be a decent shooter out of the box, something like 1.5 moa or less at 50 yds

So 3/4 inch group at 50 yards.
All of the above mentioned 22's will probably do that out of the box factory stock.
May need to play with some of the better ammo.
I think your expectations are very doable.
Are you not getting 1 1/2 moa out of the kidds ruger?

I have shot mostly rugers out of what has been mentioned, but the others have
a large following and good reputation.

Are you not getting 1 1/2 moa out of the kidds ruger?

I am not getting that consistently enough. I have tried some of the better ammo and have at times gotten really good groups. interestingly enough, the winchester white box bulk ammo gives me some of the better groups at 50 yds, it falls apart at 100 as it transitions to subsonic. overall between the ergo's of the stock, and the cheap stock, it is not meeting my needs for a target/training/rimfire-PRS/NRL22 gun. (https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...a-white-box-22lr-36-grain-hpcp-ammo?a=1107985)

I am currently torn between the rpr-rimfire and the CZ. the discussions on the rpr-rimfire thread about "fixing" it, bedding, and re-barreling is disheartening because I want to like that rifle.

the CZ's aftermarket support is inviting, but I don't want to dive in for a $1k rimfire right now, so whatever gun I purchase I want it to shoot well on day one. everyone's opinion is appreciated, I will eventually figure this out

Here's how my CZ 455 Tacticool 22lr shot with various types of ammo in its stock config. No trigger work, no cheek riser, no bedding.

Well I see a way to help with your ruger posibly.
You will most likely have better groups if you get standard velocity ammo.
Then there is no transition for one thing.
Get plain rn lead bullets no copper coated.
Clean the ruger to get out the copper fouling / wwb crud.

Get some 1050 - 1070 fps standard velocity lead rn.
Start shooting and don't measure groups for 50 rounds.
Start looking on the second box of 50 at groups.
Do not clean the bore, not, not, !
Wwb is not very good Imo, in any cal.
Cci standard velocity is 7 cents a round at wally world, and cheaper on line.
Try any comparable ammo .
Let the wax lube build up in the barrel, was an eye opener for me.

Reactions: z7.jled
I don't want to drop a ton of money, prefereably $500 or less. I have a scope (vortex pst 4-16 ffp moa) that is sitting in the safe doing nothing.

I am seriously considering the cz 455 "tacticool" varmint (16") or 24" version, depending on what I can get. put a scope on it and shoot it for a year or two before I spend any significant money on it (trigger work as needed)

other options include the cheaper cz 455 "american" for about $100 less, with its thin barrel, and then putting it into a new stock (boyds varmint most likely)

I also considered a heavy barrel ruger 10/22 and a victor company titan stock, but this gets me up in price pretty quick, without a trigger upgrade

I'd love a tikka t1x but they are pre-order/backorder and aftermarket support is unknown (stock options mainly).
I don't want to spend the $ for a voodoo although they are totally awesome in every sense

my goal is to have fun with a decently accurate rimfire, work on fundamentals and positional training, and if a rimfire match every stands up near me - shoot it. eventually I'd like a KRG x-ray chassis for it so i can have a near exact copy of my 308 (mausingfield, 24" rem/varmint)

how would you spend $600 or less on a 22lr to maximize utility and accuracy?

I have 2 455 Varmint with just a trigger spring change only. Both have a great trigger now and are very accurate. The Varmint and Tacticool are the same barreled action. The CZ 445 is the way to go.
Mark

I have what started out as a Tacticool I sold the stock as I found a Manners on eBay for a good price and it was pillared and bedded.

10 shot group at 25 yards using Wolf Match Target. It sure is fun to shoot. ?
1047B6B2-8941-4AE4-AC8D-204551E5E0F6.jpeg

84D3781C-26ED-4B1A-AA3F-F409FB0CD91C.jpeg

Looks to be the same I have on my Boyd's stock. Matthews Fabrication. I swapped my bolt handle to the swept Anarchy Outdoors and installed a spiral fluted knob. Was a huge upgrade to stock bolt handle, cycles so much smoother. One of the best upgrades I made to my 455

https://matthewsfabrication.com/product/adjustable-kydex-cheek-rest/

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/cz-455-tactical-swept-bolt-handle/

Here's the Tacticool (Boyds) stock with pillars installed and bedded, Swept bolt handle and the Matthew's Cheek riser. Ill be selling this stock shortly.

And here is the same barreled action dropped into MDT's LSS-22 chassis with ARCA rail, ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip and Cronus BTR. I will be reviewing this stock in a seperate thread in the next week or two to compare to the Boyd's stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: DXT_Shooter
Looks to be the same I have on my Boyd's stock. Matthews Fabrication. I swapped my bolt handle to the swept Anarchy Outdoors and installed a spiral fluted knob. Was a huge upgrade to stock bolt handle, cycles so much smoother. One of the best upgrades I made to my 455

https://matthewsfabrication.com/product/adjustable-kydex-cheek-rest/

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/cz-455-tactical-swept-bolt-handle/

Here's the Tacticool (Boyds) stock with pillars installed and bedded, Swept bolt handle and the Matthew's Cheek riser. Ill be selling this stock shortly.

And here is the same barreled action dropped into MDT's LSS-22 chassis with ARCA rail, ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip and Cronus BTR. I will be reviewing this stock in a seperate thread in the next week or two to compare to the Boyd's stock.

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: theaoguy
So I have been thinking some more. I am really torn between these three options, I can think of the benefit of every choice. . . .

I added a poll (probably should have done that first smh)

RPR RImfire +1 adjustability +1 barrel change, +1 cost, -1 few options for stocks beyond current chassis -1 potential friday rifle ($390 buds gunshop)

CZ Tacticool +1 aftermarket options +1 probably works great out of the box -1 current length of pull ($483 buds gunshop + scope base $100)

build a 10/22 +1 after market options +1 magazines -1 cost ($200 rifle, $120 barrel, $180 stock, $100 trigger work (already have a base))

So I have been thinking some more. I am really torn between these three options, I can think of the benefit of every choice. . . .

I added a poll (probably should have done that first smh)

RPR RImfire +1 adjustability +1 barrel change, +1 cost, -1 few options for stocks beyond current chassis -1 potential friday rifle ($390 buds gunshop)

CZ Tacticool +1 aftermarket options +1 probably works great out of the box -1 current length of pull ($483 buds gunshop + scope base $100)

build a 10/22 +1 after market options +1 magazines -1 cost ($200 rifle, $120 barrel, $180 stock, $100 trigger work (already have a base))

DEGUNS.NET has the Tacticool for $434.99 which is where I got mine in July. $30 shipping unless you bring your total to $450 then its free shipping. Maybe add a spare magazine or something. If you go directly to DEGUNS.NET is says $499.99 but if you go to gun.deals and click the hot link it takes you to DEGUNS.NET and applies the discount to $434.99.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/806703021591?view=list

I'll throw another vote in for the 455, this is mine I just got. Still waiting for the YoDave springs to show up, but stock tacticool, A419 30 MOA base and matthews fabrication riser. I have been getting some really good results with lapua center x.

Attachments

• 20180903_231248.jpg
    20180903_231248.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: padom