• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what 3 calibers cover 0 to 1600 meters??

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    I am looking at consolidating to three " yup only three" Calibers for shooting
    308 in a m-21 and a Gap rock " shoots .25 moa"
    6cm tubb 2000 this is a great 1000 yd cartridge with 115 dtacs
    338 lapua for the stretch have to get an AWM or Make one

so will be selling a PAI in 7 WSM
    Custom 300 WM rem with Kreiger barrel

I think that the three above would cover any situation to 1600 meters??????

What you thing have I gone crazy????
    Bill
    lo

Re: what 3 calibers cover 0 to 1600 meters??

Bill I can't say that I disagree with your desire to limit your curent chamberings as I am seriously looking at the same concept(I recently gave up on teh .308 and sold all my .308 gear, including bullets). I would have gone a slightly different direction on the cartridge selection, but my choices need not be yours. If you are trying to limit the types of powder that you need you could swap out one or two of your choices to cartridges that use a similar powder (for example, the 6-6.5x47L likely uses the same powder as the 6CM).

here are my choices:
    338LM as the top end.
    either .260 or 6x47L instead of .308;
    7WSM instead of the 6CM (I had my 7WSM out to 1,500 yards last month and it was shooting too good to have 1,650+ rounds through the tube.)

Post some pics of the PAI 7WSM and she isn't going to last too long on teh market. Good luck with your down sizing.

JeffVN

Or you can just stick to the 7wsm by itself and be done with it.

19Scout77, not everyone thinks that the 7wsm is THE cartridge to have.
    Now get back to lawyering so that you can buy more guns.
    Lance

I say sell the rest and keep the 7WSM.

223ai, 243 and 338 would be my picks

Keep your GAP rock, 7wsm, Tubb and build a 223AI. (yes I know I said 4 but 223AI doesnt count).

338 is very expensive, and not worth it IMHO. UNLESS you can constinatly shoot past 1400yrds.
    I shot with one the other weekend and was not impressed to much at all.

I'd keep the 308s, and the 7WSM. The rest could go away.

The 308 being a great 800-ish yard rifle (although most of us take it further than that) with great barrel life and powder versatility. The 7WSM has the bullets and case volume to be a good shooter to 1600, while still pretty economical to shoot.

.308 for the short range (800 yards) and high volume shooting.
    7WSM should reach out to a mile without a problem.
    .338 LM would be cool to have just to have. But I could live with just the 2 list above

I think that it may pay to think in practical terms. I would weigh each selection based on the amount of shooting I can reasonably expect to be using it for, that it is best suited to do.

For me, ammo cost and availability are a key factor. In choosing shooting platforms, I would personally be front-weighting the 0-250yd end of the spectrum with special emphasis. That's where I'd be seeking to do the main bulk of my marksmanship maintenance/practice shooting, preferably with a .22LR. Can't beat the cost and the accuracy inherent in the basic cartridge; and there's no handloading time overhead, either.

For then next longer distance regime, I like the .223, but for versatility sake, I'd probably somewhat favor a .22-250 with a 1:8" twist, with the stipulation that this chambering can just as well be downloaded to .223 performance levels with no bore life or accuracy sacrifices, yet still pack a full .22-250 punch when called upon to do so.

For the longest stretch, I'd be asking myself just how much of the last 600yd of the 1600yd am I likely to be shooting on a regular basis. Personally, the next time I shoot past 1Km will be the first time, and there is no place I can drive to and do so without at least one overnight stay involved. That said, I think a .260 might be stoked to reach 1400yd, and anything between 1400yd and 1600yd will just have to take it's chances out there. Personally, I wouldn't be contemplating doing jumping jacks and thumbing my nose at the shooter out there just yet.

Bigger chamberings are just too costly to feed, IMHO; and the proper bits are getting just a little too difficult to find, as well.

Greg

This is a simple question with lots of answers. However remember that you don't need a 338 to get out to 1600 yards. That can be achieved with the 7mm Mags and 300 Mags. If I were to get something to cover what you are asking I would get a 6.5x55 and some sort of 7mm Mag w/ a fast twist barrel. These two rounds would cover all of your needs.

Bill, if I were you Id keep the 7mm WSM. With the 180gr Bergers it will take you out just as far as the .338 Lapua. But without the expense of buying the .338 Lapua stuff. Ive yet to take mine out past 1000yrds but on the calm day I shot it at 950 it wasnt that hard hitting the metal target out there. That 7mm is good on a calm day as far as you can shoot it. Plus living in Illinois its hard finding 1600+ yards to shoot here. It would be one thing if were talking about Idaho or out west were you can shoot mountain to mountain.

Stick with the 7wsm.

A .308 is always good to have around for it's availability and practicality.
    And, if you really need that third piece of the puzzle, I say go with the .338, you won't need it much with the WSM but it would be fun to have.

CM

I am surprised that the 7 WSM is out front by a long shot
    Anyone looking at the 300 WM
    or is that OLD school???????

Ballistically, it's just hard to beat the 7WSM. About the only real downside to having one is barrel life as with any performance cartridge. I have heard as little as 800 rounds with really hot loads to 3000 by a couple of members on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ballistically, it's just hard to beat the 7WSM. About the only real downside to having one is barrel life as with any performance cartridge. I have heard as little as 800 rounds with really hot loads to 3000 by a couple of members on here. </div></div>

I never found it worth while to put the 180's past 2850... 6.3mils to 1k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AI Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">19Scout77, not everyone thinks that the 7wsm is THE cartridge to have.
    Now get back to lawyering so that you can buy more guns.
    Lance </div></div>

smile.gif
    Maybe not EVERYONE, but all the cool kids are shootin' it!!

Funny that you asked that because I was wanting to know I never asked Jered what it was. So I called him and its a 1-9 twist

I just want to be a pest today!You might as well go all the way and shoot past 2000Y or take advantage of less wind drift.I know,I know,you're sick of these pics.At least I'm putting something to look at on your screen.

Here's my 3

6X47L 115's at 3120fps,30-375R 240's at 2880fps,375CT 350's at 3070fps or 330's at 3245fps.
    DSC00028.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

375CT on left is with 330 Lehigh's on right is Hooker 350's

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Twist Rate are you guys using on your 7wsm?

-Pat </div></div>

When I placed my order with Paul over at Rock Creek, he said 1 in 8.7 was best for the 180's

I would pick the following:

308-- just because of surplus and availability (hopefully when this hoarding madness is over) of reloading components. It's good to 800 yards or can be pushed a bit further if needed.

7 WSM as an intermediate cartridge

338 LM as long range distance carrier 1600 yards and beyond.

Here is my 2cents.

223ai, 308, and a 300WM but the 7WSM is looking better every day. That is all pretty self explanatory

Sorry I have to have a fourth and it would be 243Win

here is the new line up
    Tubb 6CM
    GAP rock in 308
    7 WSM
    lawton 338 lapua

That should cover it , yup had to go to 4 cals

I have to close my eyes when the 375 Chey Tac is pictured,
    BIll

That would mean a Lawton built .338 Lapua

Thanks Joe and Marku.

My current 3 hunting/target rifle's are 25-06,.270, and 300wsm. I thought I had everything covered, but I've always wanted a 7mm something.

I started getting into some other hobbies right about the time the 7stw was getting its started, and I almost bought the Sendero at that time.

Now that I'm back in the game the first thing I was going to buy was the 7mm ultra mag. I looked around and I couldn't find a factory made one with a heavy barrel for what I thought was a reasonable price.(that's changed btw now that I know better)

That's when I found the 700 SPS Varmint in 300wsm for $560 and bought it instead of a 7mm. Since then all I've done is put a bunch of money into it trying to make it better. Had I found this website just a little bit sooner, I would have chosen a different route and had a 7mm ultra built.

Fast forward to this thread, and all I'm seeing is a whole bunch of you are doing some really kick-ass stuff with the 7wsm. Well I'm sold, and I'm pretty sure I have to have one.

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is Lawton? </div></div>

just a small company

http://www.lawtonriflebarrels.com/

they dable here and there

Hey REM700MAN,

You could have warned me before I clicked on that link....Baahaahaa!!! BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! It sounded like I was watching a Dirty Harry Movie in my office.

That's some really nice looking stuff. Do any of you have any pic's of some of their stuff all put together?

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say screw it and get 3 cheytacs... that will have you covered.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Would be nice. However, feeding it might be a bit costly. But then again, combining the costs of feeding all three sticks is comparable I guess. Humm!! Got me thinking now.

You never said what you wanted them to do at that distance.... Paper, steel, some other option?

I would be like a few others above. You have to have a .22 of some sort or (6),(10),or (15). Then a .223 of some sort just because it is cheaper to shoot. If you really want to stretch it and dont mind higher costs and loading then the .223AI would be a better option.

Next would be the .308, if you want to sell it I would be interested in a ROCK if you are parting with it.

Lastly myself I like the .338 LM, but very costly and I would stick with .30 like a .300WM. Makes it easier when you want to reload.

My last option would be a short distance piece the .300 wisper or .300/221 I believe, just because it is very quiet when supressed and then all your dealing with is .30 cal like 155, 168, 175's, 190's and 210's. That would cover all of it and a single can would make due to cover ALL of them in a single stamp.

Just my 1/2 cent,
    Mark

these would be for shooting paper / steel only
    not planning on the insurgents yet!!!!

Just bought another Tubb 2000 in 6 XC this will perform nicely to 1000 yds in that its the caliber that holds the current record

All this talk I need to get to the range for a few days and have some fun.
    Just trying to consolidate making it cheaper ???? at least I think it will.
    Problem is all calibers are great and here in the midwest my range is 600 yds and thats a good one here.
    338 lapua will have to be used at 1000 plus and then the 7 wsm and the 300 WM do that nicely to say 1500
    still want the 338 lapua even if shooting at 600 i could zero it there then take it to thunder valley for the 2000 yds steel course. thats 5 hours away
    Bill