• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What .308 ammo are you using?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    What .308 ammo are you using? I was using Black Hills for a long time, now they are up to $28/box, I can buy Hornady TAP for the same price.

-dan

Re: What .308 ammo are you using?

I reload but I do have some moly coated 168gr Black Hills that I need to compare to my loads. However, I do suspect they will be inferior.

if you are doing lots of .308 shooting you need to reload to save on ammo. I reload at .45 cents a round

I'm loading 155 Beger VLDs over 46gr of Varget with a CCI benchrest primer in Federal Gold Medal brass. 1" at 200yds no problem.

I prefer HSM 150gFMJBT for out to 500. I find it very accurate and consistent, and quite cheap, $12.99.

I mostly shoot AE 150, cost is $19.99 but I find it sporadic at best. But it is good fundamental training.

GMM is about $40 here. TAP is around $36. Horn match was $28 but its long gone to find it.

Alaska Tactical did or still does a group buy for Black Hills, you order how much you want, pay for it and when they get the proper amount, they order it. Last time was around $22.

But, any 308 outside of Fed Prem 165g is rare to find it since Nov. 223 is easier to find.

I want to do roll my own by finding good bullets, rifle primers and powder these days is non-existent. I have some Varget but need bullets.

I use American Ballistics 175s--I have gotten much better results from those rounds than BH175s. They are also less expensive.

I reload my own, but it matches (within 1moa at distance) 168 FGMM.

H556 specials. Capable of half moa and better through my GAP. Long as it isnt windy.
    blush.gif

Something is wrong with the H556 Specials when it come to wind.

I have most of a case of BH 175's in my ammo closet (about 460 rounds). Although I do have about 2,000 pieces of BH once fired brass, 500 175gr SMK's, and a 3,000 CCI BR2's in waiting. All I need is a pound of Varget to start playing.

I have been using Federal Gold Match and Lake City M852 Match.

175 Berger vld, hornady match brass, 45.5gr varget,cci primers and it's sliding out of a 24" 5-r barrel @ 2625fps. It's about a half inch load and I like that!!!!!

175 SMK, 43.5g Varget, remmy brass, CCI BR's

out of a 5R

best group ever was .158" @ 175 yards iirc, but it tends to stay around .5 MOA

still working on VLD and A-Max loads

Strictly handloads, I haven't bought factory ammo since decades, be it for target shooting or hunting. And, BTW, the only misfire I ever experienced in the field (made me miss a nice wild boar...) was with a factory round
    crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use American Ballistics 175s--I have gotten much better results from those rounds than BH175s. They are also less expensive. </div></div>

Looks interesting, who sells this? Also saw PRVI Partisan match for $15.00 a box at Midway. Also interesting as I've heard good things. Don't know how available it is though.

I'm shooting reloads but have a stash of factory loads (90% hunting or ball type ammo, balance is match stuff). Most of which will be reloaded.

Any opinions on HSM 168gr BTHP? I am waiting on 300 rounds to arrive so I hope it is decent. Honestly, since I am just getting started with a Savage 110 as long as it goes bang properly, I will be the weak link, not the ammo.

I find it puzzling that I can only find FGMM 168 locally. No one stocks the 175s. It seems they think there is no market for it. I guess availability is also a factor, but they don't even try to order it. Why? It doesn't make any sense to me. If you are shooting FGMM, then you are probably shooting at distance, so the 175 SHOULD do better. I realize that every gun is different and has its own ammo preferences, but I would think that they would at least TRY to get the stuff (175s).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use American Ballistics 175s--I have gotten much better results from those rounds than BH175s. They are also less expensive. </div></div>

Looks interesting, who sells this? Also saw PRVI Partisan match for $15.00 a box at Midway. Also interesting as I've heard good things. Don't know how available it is though.

I'm shooting reloads but have a stash of factory loads (90% hunting or ball type ammo, balance is match stuff). Most of which will be reloaded. </div></div>

Take the AB over the PRVI QQ. Atleast, my rifle likes it better.

I mostly have been shooting m118lr, but I'm about to flip over to just reloads with 155scenars and all the LC brass I've saved up.

Learning my new rifle on some PRVI Match 168 ($13.50/box)

Also going to be shooting some of my few years old Hornady TAP 168 which I have left over.

Would like to find a good deal on some Black Hills Match 168 but doubt that will happen.

Just finishing up the last of my Corbon match 175g circa 2006 (VERY good stuff).

Currently switching over to handloads. I hope I can hold a candle to Pete's work!

Typically I get the best overall out of the 168/175 FGMM, but I've also had good luck with Black hills 175's and Remington Premier Match 175's

On that note anyone tried the 155gr Amax hornady palma match ammo?

168 FGMM is the choice for now. Once home and rolling I'll do some handloading.

For those guys who have shot the HSM ammo, how does it burn and whats the quaility of the brass?

I reload 168 A-max and 110 V-max rounds. Buying comercial match ammo is way too expensive at over $1.00 per round. I reload mine for about $0.40 per round depending on which powder load and which bullet I use.

I have several boxes of Hornady brass from my match .308 amax and bthp rounds I have fired. I do not reload. Anyone interested in the brass, let me know.

155 berger vld lapua brass fed 210 gmm on top of max load on the bottle of benchmark is the most accurate I have found. for 308 in my remmy 700pss

for plinking w/ the 700p i use Ultramax reman stuff, 168 in LC brass. surprisingly it shoots just as good as federal gold at 100