• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What 308 bullet for whitetail.

Ozarkcop

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Arkansas
Looking for ideas on what bullets to load for white tails mainly short range 300 yards and in. I have been loading 150 noslers ballistic tips but they are causing a lot of damage and fragmented. Was thinking about going up in weight to around 165 just because I’m so used to shooting 168 smk.

Could go to a heavier constructed hunting bullet... , or go up in bullet weight and slow down impact velocity. Maybe a 165 grain Sierra gameking, partition, or Barnes TSX?

Part of the excessive damage iis probably bullet construction, bullet placement, or impact velocity if shooting them close.

Reactions: ZG47A
i've had good luck with winchester ballistic silvertips. generally used the 150g.

168 NBTs have a thick jacket and the 180s are even thicker. I’d jump up to one the those two. I sling 168 NBTs in 308 and 30-06.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
I really like the Barnes TSX bullets. But, truth be told, the last 5 or 6 have been shot with ELD-M bullets. They are less expensive and the deer don't seem to be able to tell the difference...

Reactions: Mullhead
Nothing really that wrong with the 168 SMK if it’s an accurate rifle.

155 Scenar
Google 155 scenar kill thread 24 hour campfire 😁

Attachments

• 62088556-CD28-496F-8C3C-E87DFB1226A0.jpeg
    62088556-CD28-496F-8C3C-E87DFB1226A0.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 161
I have had good luck with the hornady 165 SST but I've switched to the 178 ELD-X. Zero fragmentation and great expansion. Picture is a 178 ELD-X from a 100 yard shoulder shot.

Attachments

• 20201101_095621.jpg
    20201101_095621.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 70
180ish yards. 168NBT. Large frame 308 18” Criterion. 43gr of Varget.

Lungs were mush and missing more than a few pieces and heart had holes and a tear.
6AD4682D-FC34-46AC-A87B-336322A95441.jpeg

Liver was pretty rough looking. I pulled 4 pieces out and then the main
A2826F43-61F9-4530-9BCD-0A516A0DDAFE.jpeg

Entrance was at the back of the ribs and exit through the arm pit. Center punched a rib on exit.

Happy huntress
DEA71AFE-9C6F-4E51-98AE-8846FB9D927C.jpeg

I used 168gr ttsx last year and shot 2 with them. Great expansion and complete pass through on both.

150 g Barnes TTSX all the way.... used to use SSTs and had a lot run 100 yards or so. Switched to Barnes nothing goes more than 30 yards and most drop. Shooting them with a Ruger M77 RSI in 308 and Win M70 in 3006 using 150g TTSX going about 2950 FPS.

Attachments

• ACF1C95D-6585-47FE-A50F-B12D5DE2DF4B.jpeg
    ACF1C95D-6585-47FE-A50F-B12D5DE2DF4B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • D9E175A8-348D-48DF-81E8-1435C6D471D3.jpeg
    D9E175A8-348D-48DF-81E8-1435C6D471D3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
Reactions: shooter65
I use 165gr Nosler BT. To me, they fall about perfectly in the .308 velocity envelope (1,800 - 2,700 FPS). Everything from 75 to 241 yards has only taken a single shot, and nothing has gone further than 50 yards.

But others are right, inside 300 yards any bonded soft point or all copper expanding bullet is going to do the trick with none or very little fragmentation. Buy what your wallet and rifle like and there is no need to second guess anything.

Have never had a problem with 168gr SMK or 175 SMK on whitetail or axis. Honestly the only bullet I have had a problem with is berger 168gr hunter - didn't expand on 2 out of 3 deer I dropped with it... switched back to SMK's after that year.

Every non FMJ .308 bullet works in .308 Win. Killing and tissue damage go hand in hand. Less damage=more distance. It’s something of a trade off.

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet but will put in a thumbs up for the 150gr Accubond. Generally very easy to get to shoot and the terminal performance has been exemplary.
I am also a fan of the accubonds. I shoot them out of my 257.

Looking for ideas on what bullets to load for white tails mainly short range 300 yards and in. I have been loading 150 noslers ballistic tips but they are causing a lot of damage and fragmented. Was thinking about going up in weight to around 165 just because I’m so used to shooting 168 smk.

Having hunted with a 308 Win of one flavor or another my whole hunting career I will say that 150 gr bullets are optimal fodder for Whitetail deer.. I have used Remington Corelokt, Federal Blue box, Winchester PP , Speer Hot Cor, Nosler Partitions and Ballistic tips, Sierra soft points, Hornady interlock and SST and will say this. Stay off from the shoulder and pretty much any one of these bullets will accomplish what you have asked..
Start hitting bones or large muscle groups and the damage goes up exponentially..

I had been using the 168g Berger VLD Hunting out of my 300wsm going 3160fps. Bullets are exploding. Planting white tail in their tracks but ruining a lot of meat. I’ve hit some center in the chest and had bullet fragments exit out the neck and front shoulders. Poor blood trails but massive internal damage on the lungs and heart.
EEB6B82A-EA5B-4240-9643-DAB3E44C7CD6.jpeg

This year I switched to the 165g Sierra Game
Kong’s and they are performing much better. Way better blood trails and less collateral damage to meat.

I started out using Barnes TTSX. Just destroyed the small whitetail here in Tx. Then went to 168 AMAX and they worked great.

You should try the 168smk before switching. I’ve taken several deer with them and the 175smk and both work exceptionally well. I tried switching to the 165 gameking and after three deer that ran farther and left less blood trail I switched back to the smk.

The 168gr AMAX or the ELDM replacements absolutely shine with the moderate speeds of the .308 and the thin skin on whitetail deer. I shoot a good number of deer each year as part of MLD management here in Texas. I mostly run either 140gr ELDM in a 6.5cm or 168 AMAX (lots leftover) in my suppressed 20" .308. A large majority are bang flop and the rest drop in sight (30-50 yards).

I've also run that 168gr up through animals as large as a Red Stag-- he barely reacted to the impact but after about 10 seconds of standing there he swayed and then went hoofs to the roof.

Barnes 130gr TTSX. I had a brand new hunter with me this year shoot two does at 300 with my .308 and they looked like they got hit with lightning.

It is Illegal in some states to hunt with an FMJ. Not to mention unethical as a hunter. FMJs are for paper and people.

An SMK is not an FMJ. It’s a boat tail hollow point and does major tissue damage on impact. The potential downside is that the bullet fragments too much destroying meat along its path and on large game may not penetrate as well as needed.

However, on medium sized game like whitetail I have never heard of an under penetration issue and I’ve personally killed a lot of deer with them.

An SMK is not an FMJ. It’s a boat tail hollow point and does major tissue damage on impact. The potential downside is that the bullet fragments too much destroying meat along its path and on large game may not penetrate as well as needed.

However, on medium sized game like whitetail I have never heard of an under penetration issue and I’ve personally killed a lot of deer with them.
Thanks for the clarification. On the projectile make-up. That's why i love this site.

Reactions: Rerun7

Agreed. I’ve used both the 168SMK and 175SMK and never had a deer go more than 10yds.

Reactions: Krob95
168 ELDM TAP
376 yards 15mph wind (almost in my face)
Entrance
20in CTR suppressed
1609213354466.jpeg

Reactions: rmiked
Exit, not hard to follow blood trail, ran 40-50 yards

1609213448756.jpeg

Why the shoulder shot if I may?

Deer position, you prefer the “anchor” shot, or like me, your shots hit, but arent always exactly where you aimed?

Im always curious and learning.

I use 150 gr. bullets in my 308. My favorite bullets are Nosler BTs, Sierra Pro Hunters and Hornady ILs. I have taken more deer with the Pro Hunters but am currently using BTs. These all shoot very well in my rifle. You will have to try several to see what works in your rifle. I have never found the need for 180s in a 308 for deer. That twist in a 308 will shoot all weights.

Why the shoulder shot if I may?

Deer position, you prefer the “anchor” shot, or like me, your shots hit, but arent always exactly where you aimed?

Im always curious and learning.

mainly first time using this bullet. Wanted it to hit something solid so I could see how it preformed before I trust it.
I got burned this year with a Grendel Bullet and have no one to blame but myself.

Reactions: powdahound76
As others have said....165 gr Nosler BT have worked great on whitetail deer. This has been the case for me as well.