• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What 6.5 CM factory match ammo do you recommend to test?

jdm911

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2018
Hey guys, I'm a newbie in the PRS community. Building my first rifle and it should be ready to shoot soon. I'm going to be trying different ammo to see what my rifle likes and was wondering your thoughts on which ones to try. I have a Bartlein M40 contour barrel, 5R
rifling, 8 twist, 26".

Yes agree start with Hornady ELD-M Prime is another recommendation.

I personally shoot some 6 creedmoor from Copper Creek. You have different bullet options with these guys. It is more expensive but never get the occasional flyers you will see from factory loaded ammunition.

Reactions: Jeffd
Yes agree start with Hornady ELD-M Prime is another recommendation.

I personally shoot some 6 creedmoor from Copper Creek. You have different bullet options with these guys. It is more expensive but never get the occasional flyers you will see from factory loaded ammunition.
I have great experiences with Copper Creek also!

Been there, Done that.

Get a box of each so you're not stuck with a pile of ammo that your gun does not like. Try to establish a shooting position that takes as many variables out of the equation as possible. If you're shooting off of a wooden block with a towel for a rear bag.....you may need to reevaluate what you're doing. You want a solid, repeatable position. 5 rounds per group....4 groups per box.

With that barrel, if you're good, I would expect .5moa or better. Any ammo not holding that, move on.

Hornady Match 140gr ELD. I keep trying other ammunition and have yet to find anything more accurate. They also make other bullet weights, try a box of each.

Hornady Black 140gr Match. This ammo is very accurate as well and can be routinely found for under $20 per box at Acadamy Sporting Goods or online. Hornady American Gunner 140gr seems to be the non Acadamy equivalent.

Prime 130gr Match. A solid choice if your gun likes it. Mine did not.

Copper Creek Cartridge Company. You can go hog wild trying all the different bullet brands and weights. Their .223 77gr Berger ammo shoots the best out of my JP 20" precision gas gun. They are probably the most expensive option so heads up, but they make great, accurate custom ammo.

Defender Ammunition Company. They have 2 different 6.5 CM options. Their 69gr SMK .223 ammo shoots great out of my JP....probably just as good as the Copper Creek at around half the price per round.

Desert Tech Premium Match 140gr. Gets good reviews but not widely reported on. May try some.

Good Luck.

Hornady Match 140gr ELD out of a 27" Hawk Hill Barrel. 5 rounds @ 100 yards. I get pissed when every group isn't like this :) Is that normal?

Attachments

• thumbnail (8).jpg
    thumbnail (8).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Been there, Done that.

Get a box of each so you're not stuck with a pile of ammo that your gun does not like. Try to establish a shooting position that takes as many variables out of the equation as possible. If you're shooting off of a wooden block with a towel for a rear bag.....you may need to reevaluate what you're doing. You want a solid, repeatable position. 5 rounds per group....4 groups per box.

With that barrel, if you're good, I would expect .5moa or better. Any ammo not holding that, move on.

Hornady Match 140gr ELD. I keep trying other ammunition and have yet to find anything more accurate. They also make other bullet weights, try a box of each.

Hornady Black 140gr Match. This ammo is very accurate as well and can be routinely found for under $20 per box at Acadamy Sporting Goods or online. Hornady American Gunner 140gr seems to be the non Acadamy equivalent.

Prime 130gr Match. A solid choice if your gun likes it. Mine did not.

Copper Creek Cartridge Company. You can go hog wild trying all the different bullet brands and weights. Their .223 77gr Berger ammo shoots the best out of my JP 20" precision gas gun. They are probably the most expensive option so heads up, but they make great, accurate custom ammo.

Defender Ammunition Company. They have 2 different 6.5 CM options. Their 69gr SMK .223 ammo shoots great out of my JP....probably just as good as the Copper Creek at around half the price per round.

Desert Tech Premium Match 140gr. Gets good reviews but not widely reported on. May try some.

Good Luck.
I have had very good results with the DT ammo!

Reactions: USMC 308
The American Gunner can be had for 140.00 for a box of 200. I am a far cry from a good shot but I can consistently get .60-.75 out of my Tac A1 with it.

My gun loved the Hornady 140 ELD Match Ammo. Another buddy with same results. I recommended the same to another and shot .75-1. He then tried Federal Gold Metal Match with 130 Berger’s and it was a lazer.

It’s likely worth trying several to see what your rifle likes best but I’ve not shot a creedmoor yet that didn’t like the hornady 140 eld match

Norma 6.5 130gr Hybrid Target. PRIME, but cheaper typically.

I've had outstanding results with Hornady 140 ELD-M ammo. Accuracy is great, with an acceptable SD of 16 or so on 20-shot strings.

Also tried a box of Federal GMM with the 130 Bergers. Really wanted to like them because of the great bullet and the good reputation associated with the FGMM line of ammo. It's faster, but it wasn't as consistent. SD was 25. Not a deal breaker, but not as good as the 140 ELD-M stuff.

Make me another person who's seen the American Gunner outshoot the ELD-M and Prime. This from a heavy RPR that makes for easy ammo testing.

I have two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. The first groups well with Hornady 140 & 147 ELD Match ammo. The second prefers the 147 grain bullet.

As has been mentioned, experiment with different ammo brands to determine what your rifle prefers.

Good luck!

Be very careful with the lot to lot variations of ammo, especially Hornady.

I'm sitting on nearly 2K rounds of 147gr ELD of the same lot that I bought after test three separate lots of it in individual boxes that performed great. Itty bitty groups and very acceptable SD's 10-15 range and ES's around 30. The lot I ended up purchasing in bulk still shoots good groups at 100 yards but the ES/SD's are terrible. ES's are 70-125fps for 5 shots which is pretty pathetic for match ammo. This isn't my first experience like this either.

Personally I feel that the Prime ammo is more consistent lot to lot. It just gives up a lot in BC to the 147gr which is why I went that route after testing it and now I'm regretting that decision.

Not trying to discourage you, just something to take into consideration before you drop a bunch of cash on a few cases of ammo after determining what your rifle likes.