• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What 6mm 1000 yard bullet for CM?

WGOMF

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2020
Have 7.5 Tw. 6CM rifle coming soon that will be mostly for fun shooting to a 1000. Have 107 MK's & the old 105 Hornady BTHP. Have tried to find a few 110 MK's to try but no luck.
Don't think I want to pay the price of Aluma tips. So many Bergers to choose from. ELD-M's can be found, with the exception of the 109.

So I guess the question is: is there a bullet I owe to myself to try. I have Alpha brass, both Fed & CCI match primers, & enough 4350 for one barrel. So just bullets to find & try to get started. Thanks

My Impact/Proof barrel combo absolutely loves Berger Hybrid Target 105s, at least as loaded by Spark Ammunition (which is now defunct, I think).

Thanks for the reply HP. After reading more here today my question would have better off in the reloading section. But the 105 Hybrid does seem to be a favorite here or has been anyway.
A couple or 3 new bullets with higher BC's cropping up every year. Hard to stay on top of things.

How much you gonna shoot? GA precision has 2500 packs of the new 109 ELDMs. They will do all you need.

I looked at those a few weeks ago & thinking they were out of stock.

But they seem to have them back & have now are offering smaller quantities as well. Thanks

I am very fond of my 108 bthp bergers. They are hard to get right now but reasonably priced and shoot like a laser in my 6cm

Reactions: Changed
When I first started shooting my 6X47L, all I could get my hands on were the 105 BTHP. It had no problem getting to 1200.

105 Berger hybrids.

I'm with this guy ^^^^^^

I have a 6BR that I took to 1000 recently (F Class) and it performed great with 105 Hybrids.

On a calm day this combo will run with anything, once the wind picks up the 105 gets blew around a little more than the bigger boomer calibers (284 etc).

109 Berger
108 Berger
105 Berger

109 eld
108 eld
110 A-Tip

115 D-Tac

100 Pva Seneca Solids

Then there’s stuff like match burners and Hornady bthp. I use those for practice.

Reactions: jrkotz
I have tried them all. Without a doubt Berger Hybrid Target 105s.

I run them fast @3150 and the performance is awesome...punching holes/steel at least

I see both the Hornady 108 & 109's listed above. Is there much difference between the two or if going this route, or just grab what's available? Primarily for practice and informal competition with friends, also being used in a 7.5 twist 6 Creedmoor.

I have used the Berger 105's in the past .. but the Hybrids seem to be unavailable most of the time.

Last edited:
You are already good to go with the bullets you have (unless you just need to try something else). I'm not a big fan of hornady bullets but the 105 hpbt is the exception- and 107 smk's have shot great in every gun that I've tried them in. Some of the other bullets listed are a little better (and some much higher BC) but for fun and practice the bullets you have will easily do 1000 yrds.

I never had any luck with the 110 smk.... had plenty of twist in the barrel but they still never shot that good for me. Moved them to the back of the shelf and shot lower bc bullets that behaved like they were supposed to.

Reactions: DIBBS
I run the 109 Berger’s at just over 3000 in my 6cm. I am going to a 1k match on Sat and wii see how I do as the 109’s I have are a different lot. I also like the Barnes Match Burners 112 gr.

I have had very satisfactory results with MK's in the past. I use 142 in 6.5 & 175's in .30. So confident the 107's will do well.

Otherwise, all the higher BC stuff available now I figure would help that much more with the wind. Guess I should run the numbers before searching all over for hard to get bullets when the 107 is readily available on my shelf, & at several sellers.

Thanks guys.

JLK bullets but those are hard to get.
The 110 JLK was my favorite when they were available. Then I switched to A-Tips as the best available substitute. Berger 109 hybrids also worked well, but not quite as consistently as the Atips. The new 109ELDs from GAP work great, too, but give up some BC to the Atips that shows out past 600. The 105 Hybrids are easy to work with but get pushed around in the wind out past 600.

I farm shoot with my buds. And that is very worth winning. LOL.

I ran numbers today on JBM & surprised at how little difference there was between an old school .550 BC bullet & a newish .600 + BC bullet. Big for a competitor trying to get in the X ring, but mostly meaningless for getting on steel more often than not.

I'll shoot what I have for now & can always pick up the game later... or not. As who the hell knows about component availability on down the road.

I farm shoot with my buds. And that is very worth winning. LOL.

I ran numbers today on JBM & surprised at how little difference there was between an old school .550 BC bullet & a newish .600 + BC bullet. Big for a competitor trying to get in the X ring, but mostly meaningless for getting on steel more often than not.

I'll shoot what I have for now & can always pick up the game later... or not. As who the hell knows about component availability on down the road.

I almost forgot.

Vapor Trail machine made bullets. He always has them on the shelf and they’re $0.40/ea.

They are 103gr and the BC isn’t the highest. But it’s a great bullet.

If you Google vapor trail, don’t mistake them for his hand made bullets which are much more expensive and have about a year backorder.

He’s the “T” in 6gt. He’s knows bullets.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I got a stack of 108 hornadys (factory loads) cuz the cost was like $1.4per (vs ~$2.2 for burgers).

Im sure the burgers shoot a tad "better" but I think the deviation at that point would be more on me not the small diff in bullet/cart. Proof is in the pudding type thing.

*good ole autocorrect...... fer-BER-GER-der

I've had good luck with 108 eldm's out of a 7.5t 26" proof, about .5 out to 1440 so far.

I shoot Berger 109 Hybrids in both my 6cm and .234. Great bullet very accurate. I tried the 110 SMK AND 109ELD-M but the Berger was just better in both of my rifles. The 6CM is a 26in Bartlein 1-7 and the .243 is a 26in Krieger 1.7.5.

Shoot what you can find. 105 Hybrids are very hard to beat. I moved to 112 Matchburners due to availability/price and they shoot just as well.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I'd look hard at the Barnes 112 Match Burners. Otherwise you could place an order with Dave Tubb for the 115 DTACs and wait 3-4 weeks. Berger bullets make the most consistent/beautiful bullets I've ever shot but are hard to find and may come at a premium price.

Where I live is very windy and there's no replacement for BC.

Last edited:
Reactions: CK1.0
I've been feeding my 6br, 6 dasher and currently 6x47L a steady diet of 105 hybrids and they have never ceased to impress..

IMHO you gotta try DTAC’s if you haven’t already (especially if you’ll be running “slow” -2900fps), whether it’s the extra grains or the ogive IDK, but they’re awesome.

The Barnes Match Burner 112’s are a decent “almost a DTAC” substitute that are more readily available and a bit cheaper (but the DTAC’s are worth the extra pennies if you have the choice).

IMHO you gotta try DTAC’s if you haven’t already (especially if you’ll be running “slow” -2900fps), whether it’s the extra grains or the ogive IDK, but they’re awesome.

The Barnes Match Burner 112’s are a decent “almost a DTAC” substitute that are more readily available and a bit cheaper (but the DTAC’s are worth the extra pennies if you have the choice).

Just to report, after some minor load development in my 1:7 twist 6CM with the Barnes 112 I shot a .335 100 yard group then moved out and shot a .532" group at 230 yards using 40.4gr Hunter powder and 6.5CM S&B necked down, weight sorted brass. 2.775 OAL. Fed 210. 2922fps avg. 26" barrel w/ 9 inch suppressor.

Hopefully it's not just a fluke but if the cheap "almost a DTAC" Barnes Match Burners could do this well I wonder how much better the DTAC's would shoot...

Reactions: CK1.0
I shoot a 1:7 twist .243.
Berger 115 VLD hunters and 115 DTACs shoot about tyhe same group and 1,000 yards.
The DTAC shot slightly lower, maybe a foot or so with the same load. The DTACs had Boron Nitrie coating. I've read you need to load them slighly higher.
I seem to remember both bullets shot around a 10 or 11 inch group at 1,000. Shot by someone with little long range experience, out of the back of a crooked pickup truck bed, in the dark, with plashlights lichting up the targets.
Both bullets are great and both would shoot better if I could shoot better.

Good luck and have fun.

edit to add, I chose to stock up on the Bergers because they are hunting bullets and the DTACs with the nose ring were not available.

Reactions: Ziggy12
Was seeing that 107 MK's were available several places I decided start out with those as I've had good results with 142's in 6.5 & 175's in .30. And, while Sierra hasn't seemed to mention it, but they are now pointed. That raises BC's a bit.

If... things loosen up, I definitely want to try the 109's in Berger & Hornady later. Too many recommendations for them here to ignore.

Thanks guys!