• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what 9mm brass to keep from my plinking ammo?

trader3888

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2007
I have about a case of each of these below...

winchester white box 115fmj
federal american eagle 115gr fmj
speer lawman 115gr fmj
blazer brass 115gr fmj

I'm thinking of shooting up one or 2 of the cases and then keeping the brass when I get into reloading. (soon I hope)

My question: out of these 4 how does the brass compare? Any experience etc would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Re: what 9mm brass to keep from my plinking ammo?

Same here. I have handgun brass of all brands that is mixed up and load them all the same.

I separate out all my +p brass and load that hot for my self defense rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I separate out all my +p brass and load that hot for my self defense rounds. </div></div>

A waste of time. The brass is the same and only marked +P to signify what the factory loaded ammo is.

Stay away from AMERC brass. It's junk, the same as their ammo.

I use everything except some commie berdan primed stuff I have and some Federal that is crimped.

so would any of the above be better for loading up hot loads in the +p or +p+ range? Is nickel brass better for +p +p+ type loads?

After you tumble it, shake a few in your hand. As ling as you hear a "ringing" sound load them. If you get a dull clunking sound look in that handful for a split case mouth. Don't load those. But scrap brass brings some good money if you cave it up until you have a gallon jug full or more. I keep a cardboard box under the loading bench just for that. Then I transfer it to a 5 gallon pain bucket. 2 years ago it bought me 1,000 copper plated 45 bullets.

The nickle plated stuff stays nice and shiny when exposed to the elements, such as a motorcycle officer or a bike cop would see. Other than that it tumbles, loads, and shoots all the same.

Any straightwalled pistol brass that is boxer primed is good stuff to load up. The cartridge only produces like 30 ksi even with blistering hot loads, I lose it before I wear it out generally, occasionally it will split a wall.

The stuff gets shot in a P95 or G17, it's training and plinking ammo. My PD rounds are Winchester Silver Tip factory ammo that I don't shoot because it's expensive. I keep that specifically loaded in 9mm and 10mm for litigation reasons should I ever actually have to use it. I don't want some bitch-ass lawyer trying to paint me as a crazy psycho only looking for a good kill because I loaded 124 XTP's at absolute limit loads.