• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What a difference a trigger makes!

Will in UT

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2012
east of S.F.
Well,
I bought a little Ruger 77/357 bolt gun to shoot since I have revolvers that use the same cartridge. I first changed the rear sight to a Skinner peep sight but the darn thing was not getting good groups even when I mounted my Leupold 1.5-5 on it not even at 25 yards. The trigger was crappy I mean real crappy. I have two other rifles both with very good triggers both set at 2.5 lbs. So I did an upgrade to a Jard trigger with the same 2.5 lb pull. It was pretty easy to install even for a guy with no experience with this challenge. Today I was able to see the fruits of the labor because I was shooting very tight groups, basically holes touching holes with the iron sights at 25 yards even with my crappy eye sight. What a difference a trigger makes. The stock trigger was just horrible.
Bill

That may be true but the fact is there was no way to move the trigger to the rear with a smooth motion it would just sort of drag and snag along the way.
Bill

I am not saying you have to suffer through terrible trigger pull - it's an invaluable upgrade especially in long matches, but if you have accuracy issues in a "benchrest" environment due to trigger pull - you have a problem with your technique; good trigger will mask those issues but it will not cure them.

P.S. It can be done... I've shot competitively unmodified MAS-36 : 22lb trigger pull on a 8.5lb rifle - and I am not exaggerating.

That's impressive. With my revolvers using only double action I would get tighter groups at 25 yards than I was getting with the stock trigger. My revolvers are also finely tuned and so maybe I was simply being distracted by the trigger being so different than all my others. I will be paying more attention to what I have learned here on other threads and the dvd sold here as well. I know I have a lot to learn and that's why I'm signed up for training in Oregon in September.
Bill