• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What about a rem 788??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I found a good deal on a rem 788 chambered in 222. I dont know squat about these rifles. The rifle in question is extremly clean and priced really fair. Whats the scoop on these old rifles are they worth messing with? I most likly will want to re-barrel it after i shoot the factory barrel out. Lee

Re: What about a rem 788??

If it is really nice and you can get a hellova deal on it. Buy it, put it on GunBroker and make some money. They seem to bring insane amounts of money.

How do they shoot? Thats the question. I just read in another forum that the 788 is a better action than the 700. I am not saying i beleive this by any means. The truth is though, I dont know if it is or isnt. I have never even seen one in person, much less had one torn apart. Thanks Lee

I don't own one, but I have a friend up here who has one in the same caliber. It's his prefered coyote/deer rifle. It shoots really well. I'd go for it if it's a good price...

They generally shoot well. I sure wouldnt say the 788 action is better than a 700.

I think it's mostly the barrel. For some reason Remington put extremely good barrels on their "budget" rifle.

Doesn't make much sense, but I don't think anybody's complaining. Considering some of them are going for $600+ on gunbroker...

I have one in 223,it is way more accurate than it should be. If I ever find one in .308 and .243 I will have those too. The rifle feels cheap in your hand but the performance is as good as anything Remington ever made.

I had one about 15yrs ago in .22-250. I reblued it in the bathtub(my mom loved that!). It shot really well and this was way before I started reloading. I paid $250 for it in '94. Great gun.

I had two that I wish I still had. An 18.5" 7mm-08 that would shoot consistently 1/2 MOA and a .222 with a 24" barrel that seemed to shoot everything I fed it under 1/2 MOA. The 788 has a very stiff reciever and the barrels were very good on average. The trigger requires spring tweaks to be acceptably light and the rear locking action may allow a bit more stretching than a front locking one, but for the money, they were a steal.
If you found a good deal on one, and you need a mild varminter, I would say go for it.

I own two of them one in .223 an the other in .308 they are great rifles for being a budget item i absolutley love them the 308 is my go to deer rifle and the 223 i just carmint with

ifyou can get one for a good price jump on it you wont be sorry

The 788 has a very fast locktime. A 788 was timed against a 700 in the early 80'ies. If the trigger was pulled exactly at the same time on the two rifles the bullet had exited the barrel on the 788 before the 700 fireingpin had hit the primer. Very important if you are shooting off hand in competition.

The Remington 788 is a REAR LOCKING LUG action ans as such can be "springy". Good rifles have been made with this action, but you would be better served with a Rem 700.

I have one in 44 Magnum with a walnut stock and it shoots this cartridge very well. I had one in 223 and it was just so butt-ugly with a factory scrap wood stock I had to sell it even though it shot well - bad move.

Here in Arkansas, 788's sell for way too much as they seem to be considered a collector piece.

788's will flat shoot..."springy"[someone else's word] actions and all!!!
The "silly wet" shooters loved them for their quicker lock time for offhand shooting.
My 243 sporter brl 788 has run banks of clay pigeons at our 440 yd. mark several times. Great coyote medicine.

Get it!

wes

The actions have smaller magazine and ejection port cut outs which makes for a stiffer action . The 788 barrel is threads into the action about 1.25 versus .700 on the 700 action . If I remember correctly the 788 has a faster firing pin lock time .

Howard