• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What about a Winchester 70 ?

hawkinpup

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
EL Dorado County CA
I Guys Gals whatever,
I hope this isn't a dumb question but I have a Winchester Model 70 XTR sporter magnum in 300 win mag. I like the gun but wondering if this is something that is worth putting time and money into like a nice stock, scope, trigger. etc. or should I sell and pick up something that is going to be a gun I can really reach out and touch a target with. or will this gun do the trick, buy investing some time and money in it.
Thanks.

Re: What about a Winchester 70 ?

Nothing wrong with a Winny. I've been driving them since Remmy was cool. They are still a rifelman's rifle.

Cheers,

Doc

Ive got a M70 that was a peice of junk 30-06 covered in dust and cruddy.

I took it to the gunsmith had it fully worked over, put a Manners T4 stock and Jewel trigger in it. Along with 2 Broughton barrels. One a .243Ai and the other 6mm BR.

the gun will shoot 1.25" 5 shot groups at 300 and below 2" at 375yd.

So, Id say its worth it. BUT, you wont be able to sell it as well as a Remington. Mine is my all around rifle..

good luck

I have 4 custom builds on pre 64 actions. If your action is one of the ones with controlled round feed, then I say go for it. It makes a great hunting rifle.

I have built some guns off of remington 700's and find them to be more accurate and easier to work on.

Controlled round feed is sweet! I love the action on my FN SPR (win crf)

It sounds like your XTR is the push-feed action. I currently have one (XTR action, originally a .243) at GAP getting turned into a .280AI. I expect it to shoot better than I can drive it. I would say go for it, but keep it the .300WM- it's a great long range round. There are not as many mods avail. for the 70 compared to the Rem. 700, but you already have the action to use. If you use the search function, you will likely find what others have done. Send me a PM if you have trouble finding any info.
Good luck! Jason

Winnys are great shooters. It's also nice to have another cookie cutter Remington. Keep it 300WM

Got to love them Winchesters!!

I have Manners, McMillan, Boyds, and a McCress on the way for my M70's.

For a tactical setup, I would go with the Manners or the McCree.

OK, I did it. I went and ordered a Mcmillan A4 for my .300 winny, but I have to wait 4 months t get it. Nice Christmas present.

In my battery I have a lot of manufacturers represented. In fact, most of the major ones. But when we go to Africa I carry 4 rifles, a John Rigby 470NE double and 3 Winchester Model 70s; one in 300 WM, one in 375 H&H and one in 458 Lott. The 458 Lott and the 375 are fairly new control round feed rifles and the 300WM is a pre 64 custom by John Brownell on AAA Circassian wood, very tasty. They all perform and function perfectly. The Lott is mostly in case we are finding buffalo out beyond 100 yrds to supplant the Rigby. It really is too hot even for Africa and penetration takes it right through most critters with poor expansion. The 300 WM however is sort of a workhorse and a meat gun and works very well. When you need a zebra for leopard bate or an impala for the pot it is the go-to gun.

While my sniper rifle is Remington 700 based, I love my Winchesters just as much and have taken some rather expensive shots without overdue concern.

Bottom line, for my money the Winchester is every bit the gun the Remington is. I selected the Remington barreled action mostly due to the volume of application specific components available. In fact I only have two Remington rifles, the sniper and a lovely little mountain weight 700 in 30-06. Point is, the Winchesters have worked well for me for over 50 years and then there's this coming summer.;)

Good Shooting,
Viper1

Last edited:
I'll be building my first 'sniper' rifle out of a Win Model 70 action here soon. Will probably be a few months but I'll be sure and put some pictures up. Everything I've got planned she'll be a sweet piece when it's all done.

A Winchester will be a more reliable action than a Remington, better metal, trigger, etc. It isn't as good a match gun (more expensive to gunsmith) but a hell of field rifle.

I run two m70s, and personally I think that the rem 700 does not feel as refined as the winchester. Parts are a little more expensive, but that doesn't mean you can't, it just means that you are going to pay.

I run a M70 at work in a world of 700P's and LTR's. My old M70 shoots as straight as any of them and better than most. The only downside is it's heavy. I had my choice of a Remington 700P, a DPMS SASS and my M70. If I had to do it again I old still keep my Winchester!