• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What about "re-bedding" during "re-barreling" ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    MPA bedded my action/barrel (Tactical Chassis - 300 Win Mag) to solve a problem I was having with action screws coming loose. It's been awesome ever since, but I've burned through that barrel and have a new one on order from McGowen. My question is ... Do I have to remove the existing bedding and re-bed when I re-barrel, or is it possible to re-use the existing bedding with the new barrel? Or is the answer ... I can't know until the new barrel arrives and see if it fits snugly in the existing bedding?

Any thoughts and/or advice? Thanks!

Must remove the bedding under the barrel, unless the new contour is small enough that it floats in the old barrel bedding.

One mans opinion but MPA has bed the action, not the barrel. you should be able to put barrel on and torque action to spec, and be all good. You will have to re-zero scope to new barrel. Others may know more than me.

They may have skimmed under the barrel where it mates to the action. If so, I’d remove only enough material under the new barrel to free float it. If you wanna go back later and re- bed that area under your barrel you can. However it’s doubtful that you’ll ever need to.
    I had a problem with my action screws coming out and I got a couple of washers. What do I need to tell them to get a bedding job? 😂

They may have skimmed under the barrel where it mates to the action. If so, I’d remove only enough material under the new barrel to free float it. If you wanna go back later and re- bed that area under your barrel you can. However it’s doubtful that you’ll ever need to.
    I had a problem with my action screws coming out and I got a couple of washers. What do I need to tell them to get a bedding job? 😂
    LOL ... well ... you have to have the lock-washers "not" work, and keep coming loose after you've returned the rifle twice. After the action screws kept coming loose even with the new washers, they bedded the action and that solved the problem.