• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What accuracy would you expect from my rifle?

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
Wanted some input on what kind of accuracy you would expect from this rifle. I do handload, but don't know where I should call it a day and stop load developing. Smallest 5 shot groups at 100 yrds were in the low .3's and low .4's at 200.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 (Stock Barrel)
Timney Trigger
B&C Medalist Tactical Stock
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP
JP Brake

Re: What accuracy would you expect from my rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanted some input on what kind of accuracy you would expect from this rifle. I do handload, but don't know where I should call it a day and stop load developing. Smallest 5 shot groups at 100 yrds were in the low .3's and low .4's at 200.

Timney Trigger
JP Brake</div></div>
If you are in the low .3's than stop. You are ready to win matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanted some input on what kind of accuracy you would expect from this rifle. I do handload, but don't know where I should call it a day and stop load developing. Smallest 5 shot groups at 100 yrds were in the low .3's and low .4's at 200.

Timney Trigger
JP Brake</div></div>
If you are in the low .3's than stop. You are ready to win matches. </div></div>

I wish I could do it consistently.

Well if the gun CAN shoot that well, the only thing left to do IS shoot that well. Get some trigger time. Sounds like development is over, time for utilization.

Yeah, I would say you are getting very good performance from a factory rifle. However, there is a big difference between a bragging group laminated for your wallet and an aggregate.

There is no way to evaluate what to expect by listing components. You can have identical (factory) rifles, and some shoot, some don't. BB

Ok, to be clear you shouldn't post what your 'best' groups are when you ask what accuracy to expect from your rifle. Ive shot a .15 inch group before, but just like your low .3's thats because the bullets decided to land there. Whats your AVERAGE group size. If you shot 10 groups, what would your average group size be.

Based off that you can decide whether to keep tuning and others will be able to give you better advice.