• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What action is best for me?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Weighing the options of an AIAW .308 or a custom.

It seems a custom could cost less, have the potential to be more accurate, and ofcourse there is a more taliored stock choice.

My question is, on a custom, how does one determine what action is best for him?

I want a switch barrel rifle, so its going to either need to have an integral lug or a pinned lug, whis is easy to come buy in the custom world. A repeater, also easy to come by. I mean, MOST actions have everything one would want.

The only differences I can see are -flat vs. round bottom
-amount of locking lugs
-pinned vs. integral lug..or 2..
-cost

Flat bottom is better, right?
More locking lugs are better, right?
Integral is better, and 2 integral is even better, right?
$800 - $1100 is avg. Ide assume?

What did you take into account when you chose your action?

Re: What action is best for me?

I would say just about all the custom actions now days will shoot very well as long as there bedded properly. As far a which one is best? Thats a personal prefference. Which one do you like best? most all of them will have a pinned lug and will be able to be a switch barrel rig.

It really come down to what your wanting to do with the gun. Tactical shooting or long range target?

Answer that question and them decide what type of action and stock you need.

Jerid

Re: What action is best for me?

I chose the Surgeon RSR (round) action because it was $400 less than the 1 piece action. But it still came with the 1 piece bolt and side bolt release. It also came with a double pinned lug, and a double pinned 20 MOA base. All that for a hair over $900. And I didnt have to wait, Surgeon had it in stock so it shipped as fast as I paid for it.

One thing to keep in mind about the flat bottom action (ie the M2008) finding stocks for those are hard. the surgeon can fit into any Rem700 pattern stock, so you have a better chance of finding a stock in stock somewhere (or a used one for sale) than you would a stock for a flat bottom action.

It all comes down to if you are willing to wait, and spend the money to get what you want.