• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What age did you introduce your kids to firearms and how?

jd65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Texas
Just curious especially if any of you decided to introduce firearms to your kids at preschool age and younger. If so, what was your method?

A friend of mine years ago would give his M1A, unloaded, to his 4 year old grandson to play with. The kid would be running around the yard with grandpas rifle pretend shooting everything, including me. Didn't think much of it at the time but looking back now that I have kids, at no point would I want my kid to think a firearm is a toy. Thoughts?

Reactions: diverdon
20191018_172935.jpg

My kids have been around firearms since birth pretty much. They've been familiarized with the function and safety aspects since they began exposure. As they gained more cognitive power, the lessons got appropriately more in depth. They know the difference between toy guns and real firearms. My oldest, will be 5 this fall and by then will have been shooting a 22 for a little over a year at that point. Would I let him go off on his own with a 22...? Absolutely not, but I am confident he's more knowledgeable and safer than his cousins that are a few years older than him.

My little boy has been shooting since he was 4. He shot a .22 several times, then shot an AR and grinned from ear to ear. Now he is 9 and learning to shoot Steel Challenge.

Each kid is different.

Son was shooting pellet guns at 6 or so. 22LR not long after. By 12 he was pretty much shooting everything I do, from 22LR to 3006. 9MM to .357 Mag.

Make sure they show milestone competency with each type.

Can demonstrate awareness/application of "golden rules". (Takes constant reminding).

Can check/clear each type.

Disassemble and reassemble.

Reactions: Dpp and Ravenworks
Just curious especially if any of you decided to introduce firearms to your kids at preschool age and younger. If so, what was your method?

A friend of mine years ago would give his M1A, unloaded, to his 4 year old grandson to play with. The kid would be running around the yard with grandpas rifle pretend shooting everything, including me. Didn't think much of it at the time but looking back now that I have kids, at no point would I want my kid to think a firearm is a toy. Thoughts?

Agreed, they should never be thought of a 'toys'. A recipe for disaster.

I never had kids but when I was 6 or 7 my father took me out and taught me about how to shoot the .22.

1-Treat every gun as though it is loaded even if it isnt.
2-Never point it at anything you dont intent to shoot.
3-Always know where the bullet is going to stop before you pull the trigger.

Always carried those rules with me and theyve served me well.

I always look at it like when you as the parent decide when ever that should or should not be not me thank god .

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSalty
I bought my son a Henry Youth when he was 1 year old. We had a sporting goods store going out of business, and it was $100 out the door. He's now 23, and still likes to shoot it.

Reactions: Sixfivesavage
~7yo with a supressed 10/22 and air rifle. He now says he owns my Q HB SD ...

No human children, had a dog child until recently. However, best i recall I was shooting BB Gun at 3 or 4 (let's say, I cannot remember not shooting BB guns (Crossman), went to duck blinds at 5, shot M1 carbine at 5 or 6 so, hunting with shotgun at 6 or 7.

you guys should all be ashamed of yourself..........they should all be shooting suppressed hahah best excuse to buy one!!! it for the safety of the little ones ears...

My dad gave me a Ruger Bearcat in my xmas stocking. He said "Don't be an idiot and shoot yourself. " I was 8. I went from daisy air rifles to that. I think that's a little young to be unsupervised with guns but I turned out OK I guess.

you guys should all be ashamed of yourself..........they should all be shooting suppressed hahah best excuse to buy one!!! it for the safety of the little ones ears...

I was in the process of swapping barrels we only shoot supressed like normal civilized people with indoor plumming

I’ve got my 6 year old nephew shooting quarter sized groups at 30 yards with a 10/22. I’ve been working with him since he was four or five. He’s a heck of a shot. I drill him on gun safety every time we shoot or we are around Guns. He loads his own mags, loads his own rifle. All I do is sit and watch. Start them young

I'm taking 3 of them out in the Sat. to shoot p-dogs. Cans on 3 of them.
Too many kids, not enough money

Reactions: bunsen27
I bought my daughter a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun when she was 3. Chopped the stock down so she could shoot it. Practiced a bunch in the backyard shooting milk jug caps. At 6 I bought her a Henry 22 Repeater, at 9 I bought here a Savage LH 22, and at 12 I built her her first full custom in a 6.5 CM. Being she’s a lefty, I wanted to build her 1 rifle she could do everything with, so I went with:

-Bighorn Origin LH with .223, Valk, .308 and Mag Bolt heads

-Proof CF 16.5” in a 6.5CM

-Krieger SS 22” in a 224 Valk

-Manners MCS-CS

-Trigger Tech Special

-Area 419 Hell Fire MB

-NF F1 3.5-15x50 Mil / Mil

she’s my little shooting / hunting buddy now and she shoots pretty damn good!

A0EB51F5-23E0-4AEF-807D-092E7E52FBD4.jpeg

B5DF892D-AF53-4B09-98FA-1F524BA2748A.jpeg

906D3424-F905-4EBD-82B4-D1DC6D9DA004.jpeg

My son was introduced to guns at around 2.5. Every time he wanted to see them, I stopped what I was doing and opened the safe for him to look around. Took all of the curiosity out guns. Nothing taboo about it. As far as shooting them, it’s been very recent (9 years old now). He didn’t have the maturity or attention span to take safety seriously. It’s great now that we can shoot together. We bond over it and it makes me proud when he’s banging steel with his 10/22.

It’s interesting to read all the comments and point of views on the subject. Thanks

My son was introduced to guns at around 2.5. Every time he wanted to see them, I stopped what I was doing and opened the safe for him to look around. Took all of the curiosity out guns. Nothing taboo about it. As far as shooting them, it’s been very recent (9 years old now). He didn’t have the maturity or attention span to take safety seriously. It’s great now that we can shoot together. We bond over it and it makes me proud when he’s banging steel with his 10/22.

The beginning of your story is about where I’m at now. She’ll be 3 in a few weeks. She started showing an interest in hunting this past deer season. She sees the deer brought to the house. She knows that’s how we get our food. And now she wants to shoot everything that moves with her dollar store pistol and eat it ...including the dog.

Where I have found myself at now, at her age, trying to think of some ways to teach her that a firearm is not a toy but at the same time not make her afraid of it?

It’s easy to teach a 2 year old that the grill is hot and don’t touch it or it’ll burn your hand off. It’s not that simple with a firearm, at least not that I can think of, unless you want them to be afraid of it.

I started on a Daisy Red Ryder , so I started mine on one as well at about 3 years old or so. Satisfy her curiosity by taking her out in the backyard and just let her get comfortable with it. Close supervision, make sure it’s fun for her, teach her the safety part of it gently, as she gets older enforce it more strictly. Gotta make sure she not terrified of making a mistake or she’ll hate it and want nothing to do with it.

Mine are too young at this point (older is 2) but I had my first single shot .22 at around 6 or 7 years old, a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser for deer about the time I was 10 and had my first handgun (Llama .380) at 11. My dad had me started pretty early and I grew up around them from the beginning.

I've always had a thing for big recoil so even as a scrawny little kid the harder it kicked, the bigger my smile. The only rifle that ever got the better of me was a Marlin .45-70 that belonged to my dad's hunting buddy. His hand-loads were pushing a 405gr bullet at over 2000 FPS. That thing kicked hard. I took one shot with it and handed it back....

Reactions: HogsLife
I started on a Daisy Red Ryder , so I started mine on one as well at about 3 years old or so. Satisfy her curiosity by taking her out in the backyard and just let her get comfortable with it. Close supervision, make sure it’s fun for her, teach her the safety part of it gently, as she gets older enforce it more strictly. Gotta make sure she not terrified of making a mistake or she’ll hate it and want nothing to do with it.

Thanks for some more good ideas. That’s a sweet rig you built for her too!

The beginning of your story is about where I’m at now. She’ll be 3 in a few weeks. She started showing an interest in hunting this past deer season. She sees the deer brought to the house. She knows that’s how we get our food. And now she wants to shoot everything that moves with her dollar store pistol and eat it ...including the dog.

Where I have found myself at now, at her age, trying to think of some ways to teach her that a firearm is not a toy but at the same time not make her afraid of it?

It’s easy to teach a 2 year old that the grill is hot and don’t touch it or it’ll burn your hand off. It’s not that simple with a firearm, at least not that I can think of, unless you want them to be afraid of it.
What I did was break down the 4 safety rules into steps, but didn’t start that till he was about 4. I think the easiest one is trigger discipline. I always got on him about trigger discipline when he would play with his nerf guns. It’s easy for them to understand where not to put their finger and why.

From body shaming to full blown barrel shaming!

When did I body shame anyone besides this fat ass? It's a good thing he's strong and loves to run...

Don't be offended your not a barbarian anymore...

20191205_214137.jpg

I bought my daughter a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun when she was 3. Chopped the stock down so she could shoot it. Practiced a bunch in the backyard shooting milk jug caps. At 6 I bought her a Henry 22 Repeater, at 9 I bought here a Savage LH 22, and at 12 I built her her first full custom in a 6.5 CM. Being she’s a lefty, I wanted to build her 1 rifle she could do everything with, so I went with:

-Bighorn Origin LH with .223, Valk, .308 and Mag Bolt heads

-Proof CF 16.5” in a 6.5CM

-Krieger SS 22” in a 224 Valk

-Manners MCS-CS

-Trigger Tech Special

-Area 419 Hell Fire MB

-NF F1 3.5-15x50 Mil / Mil

she’s my little shooting / hunting buddy now and she shoots pretty damn good!

View attachment 7283563
View attachment 7283564
View attachment 7283565
I think the grin says it all. I’m a little jealous. That’s a heck of a rifle to have at that age!

I think the grin says it all. I’m a little jealous. That’s a heck of a rifle to have at that age!

yeah she digs it. In the end, I would have spent that much buying her multiple rifles to to different things so I figured I’d just cough up the $$$ and do it once and be done with it. Lol, now all I gotta do is buy her prefits.

I started with takedown and maintenance. He learned the component names really quickly.

I also introduced him to blanks in a way that scared the shit out of him. My 5yr old today has a profound respect for firearms, and good trigger discipline.

My 2 year old is about to undergo the same treatment.

(Eta - my 5yr old loaded some soap shells after we came across a TX meme about shooting viruses)

Reactions: LeftyJason
I can only relate my son's experiences with my G'daughter. He is in the army and well versed with firearms. He bought her a Ruger 10/22. I sent her a carrying case for it. He taught her all the safety rules with it and picked it up quickly. She is one of those..."I rather do it myself...". When they came to visit, we went out to the range and I took my Remington 597 .22 WMR and she liked it, but was most impressed with my Ruger Bearcat as was my son, because when he got home, he asked me to ship it to him, which I did as it was a little small for my hand and I have never cared for the .22 LR cartridge. My son also liked my Henry .30-.30, a lot!
So safety first and watch over them. Before shooting my G'daughter was into shooting a bow and arrow, so that helped in preparing her for shooting a gun. My son had also bought a pair of ear muffs. She is also good at fishing, so she really likes the outdoors. He started her off at five years of age...

I'm taking to being civilized quite nicely, its my wallet that is suffering the consequences...

Gotta spend it now...if hyperinflation starts when the economy finally crashes it won't suffer anymore ?

Mine have been around them from the beginning. It’s just an ordinary part of my house. I made sure to indulge their curiosity about guns and teach them along the way as opportunities present themselves. That way they are much less “curious” about guns and know the safety rules.

I also backed off of trying to get them to shoot if they weren’t into it. And they weren’t for years but now they are enjoying it so I just keep it fun and try not to make it too much like a shooting lesson.

My goal is to pass on my love for shooting and I can refine their capabilities as they get a little older.

Reactions: WestDesertPRS
My boys, currently 5 and 6, have been around firearms their whole lives. I had my oldest help me hand-load when he was 3 or 4. He did, and still does, a great job seating bullets.

My wife and I are both NRA instructors and have been teaching both boys gun safety since they were able to comprehend what we were saying. We got our oldest behind a .17hmr when he was 4 or 5, and got him a Crickett for his 6th b-day. Our youngest has been behind the .17, but he doesn't quite have the right attitude for shooting yet, but we're working on him.

20190811_134254~01~01.jpg

I've got four kids. Started very early just having guns around the kids. "hey dad, what's that?" Me: A gun. Want to see it? Here's how we hold it. Nope we don't point it at people. Nope, don't put your finger on the trigger, it belongs up here on the side. "What do we point it at dad?" Targets and Animals only. (in my mind I'm saying...for now) Every single time they show interest, engage them and use it as a training opportunity.
Then just wash, rinse, repeat until old enough to safely shoot targets with me on the range. Develop those identical neural pathways for years, and watch them grow up to love and respect firearms. My oldest is 17 now. I'd trust him with my life.

I did ^^^^^. Take the mystery out of the thing dad seems to like. I always had my kids around when I was doing gun stuff, cleaning, shooting, reloading and hunting. It is part of daily routine. Two girls don't care for it much, son likes it and youngest daughter is just like her dad :).

I am from the UK and to have access to firearms you need an FAC (firearms certificate [ or can be termed licence]). I introduced my son to firearms when he was aged 10 now 6 years later he out shoots me ) most time, but not always).

Daughter had a Red Rider at 5 . Was shooting 22 at 10 and had her own rifle at 13 . The boy was shooting an AR15 offhand at 9 . When asked by his mom what he thought about the AR he said " it pushed a little bit but I liked it . "
Edit. The boy was punchin paper with a 9mm at 11 and doing good . First time out he was trying to emulate zipper drill , Mozambique , double taps and recoil management drills .

Great thread, my 2 year old is very curious, always say “daddy me go shooting too?”
I think I’ll take him with his mom in a few weeks for him to just watch. I have my bolt rifle out alot with the bolt removed, in my office when he comes in he always wants to see it. Would you guys recommend letting him touch it, and just telling him the no no’s?
he already knows he isn’t allowed to touch it unless I say it’s ok.

My son started hunting with me when he was 4 and started on a BB gun then progressed to a 10/22 and now an AR in 300BO. Got a 224V this past year which will be his long range for for the next few years. Little sister waited until she was 6 but shot the same BB gun and 10/22 and did pretty well. Both are lefties so they can’t use my guns.

1225A65B-7E8D-468D-AECC-FE0AF895CE8C.jpeg

FC6FC787-DDDD-440C-AB94-38CCE8A252C7.jpeg

Son with a 22rf at 5 or so. More recent experience is grandkids. Cricket for the interested granddaughter at 5. First deer with 223AR at 6. (She is now 12 and shooting a 260 Remington bolt gun) Grandson was shooting a suppressed 22rf at 4. Too young! He blasts away and hits the steel target with me pointing. Safe since I had a hand on the gun at all times and was controlling it. (And on safe private property with miles of background.) Boy did that get his interest peaked!! He went Hunting with me and got a deer at 4. he said it was “his deer and I shot it for him”!! At 5 I plan to have him use the cricket and really control fire the rifle with the purpose of aiming and accuracy. He is all boy! I have to change the pink stock out for him! Now he wants a bow!?

As far as their size goes, my boys take after their mother and are big for their age. Thank God for that because as much as they love rimfire shooting, they like shotguns more and they can easily handle a 12 gauge with 2 3/4" target loads. Way easier on the wallet than .410 shells.