• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What am i doing wrong guys?

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I bought some new Winchester brass ran it through my Redding s-bushing full length die. Measuring it on my Sinclair concentricity gauge it has looks around 5-6 thousands run out. I have run my Black Hills once fired cases through the same die with a thousands or less run out. Any help is appreciated. Its on .308 brass with a .332 bushing in the die. All winchester cases except a few are like this. Maybe 10 out of 50 are 3 thousands or less.
    Thanks once again,
    Joe

Re: What am i doing wrong guys?

It may be just a bad batch of brass. If you have access to a gauge that will check neck wall thickness then give it a try.

The case mouths were preaty dented when I opened the bag. But I had some .300wm brass the same way but all cases check out great. Thanks.

The following is one opinion, from one person. Take it as you will.

Have you loaded any and measured them?
    I don't bother measuring runout in anything but loaded cartridges for my guns, unless I know there is a problem that I am trying to isolate.

Knowing how and where to measure runout, and how to set up the gauge, can remove some of the observed runout....at least in the areas we care about. Of course, I am talking about unturned brass in non tight-necked chambers. In this case, the neck will not even make contact with the chamber, so don't even use the outside of the neck for support or measurement.....it really doesn't matter.

The thing we want to accomplish is getting the bullet started into the rifling dead center and straight.
    That should be the only goal here.

When we chamber such a round, the only surfaces that make contact with the barrel/chamber are the case-walls, the shoulder, and possibly the bullet. For this reason, I set my runout gauge to to cradle the case at a point just above the web, and another point just below the shoulder(trying to set up on the shoulder would be a bitch). With a bullet in place, let the bullet act as the forward stop and check bullet runout somewhere other than right at the tip. If you feel the need to measure the neck of an unloaded case, set up the tool the same way, let the case-head act as the stop, and measure runout at the "inside" of the neck.....the only place that really matters unless you have a tight-necked chamber.

I've loaded a few dummy rounds also with this brass. Run out on the bullet is just as bad. The area below the shoulder checks out fine. Just bullet and neck seem to be the problem.

I'm using the expander. But there are no problems with my Black Hills cases. Necks and bullets less than 1 thousands maybe 2 but on very few.

Thought about that to. I guess I'll try it and see what happens. I just got my rifle back and was wanting to start trying to work up a load for it. But I should have pleanty of BH cases for that.

I had the same problem with some new winchester .223. I decided to try it anyways because it will only get better after being fire formed. After I used my redding comp. seater die, the runout improved dramatically.

I am also using a Redding comp. Seater die. Just having problems with the Winchester brass. I would hate to chuck brand new brass.

Runout will improve when you fireform the brass. And yah, Win brass sucks balls!

I had the same problem with virgin 7wsm winchester brass. My neck thickness variance was not the major problem, it was the necks were crooked (off center) coming out of the shoulder. If you have a decent chamber, they will correct after you shoot them once. You don't need to sweat it much, I believe runout in this case will correct before the bullet leaves the case. I have anywhere from .001-.009 runout on 1st loads and .001-.003 on subsequent loads and the 1st generally shoot as good. Personally, I'd buy Lapua brass if I were you and not worry about it. I wish I could for my 7wsm.